Forum Outage

DCinB Forum Information and Other Related Discussions
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Forum Outage

Post by Goldeneye »

The forum has been coming up and down since yesterday.

I apologize for any inconvenience. Our provider is working through some issues.

This was a major data base failure, unfortunately our most recent backups were unusable or perhaps corrupted. We had to restore the Data base with a March backup (strike that, February is the most stable), so sadly we lost a ton of date, post, threads new members, private messages, saved messages, just about everything done since February .

Heck backups made this morning/afternoon did not restore correctly. As Katied & Omega can attest (this not the first time for posting an explanation.)

Since the forum is back up I will leave it as it is and we will have to move forward with the loss of data. However I am now resolved to move us to a more reliable server to prevent this from happening again. This will take time to do correctly and safely.

My sincere apologies to all our members and visitors for this massive disruption.[/quote]
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Re: Forum Outage

Post by Goldeneye »

Bond77 wrote:I am sorry to hear about that Goldeneye. We will just have to do our best to pick up where we left off and get the best Bond forum on the web back on its feet. :)

The good news is that the "Daniel Craig Dresses in Drag" controversy happened in March 2011. So, we can pretend that we are finding out about it for the first time! So...

...look what I found:

Let the outrage begin! :cheers:
007 wrote:That film should be introduced by Rod Serling. A shame about the problems but at least the forum is still in one piece.
Blowfeld wrote:
007 wrote:That film should be introduced by Rod Serling. A shame about the problems but at least the forum is still in one piece.
Good to see you 007 :cheers:

Yeah this seem like a poor Dr Who plot as many time as the past and present forum was loaded an unloaded :shock:

At leasts we are still standing!
Blowfeld wrote:Oh no my Sarah Jane memoriam avatar is gone!
Goldeneye wrote:No the avatars are there. Thankfully they were not part of the MYSQL DB.

Alessandra's rank and log in should now be fixed.

The March back up was good and had most of the changes but the post and templates were not matching up. So we had to go with February save, sadly losing thousands of posts ,links, pictures and nearly 20 members.
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

Okey, here it is, after a lot of effort we were able to save all of the PMs and all of member data!

Unfortunately (and perhaps unforgivably) parts of the backup containing post data were too far gone to restore. However March was salvaged successfully. Only a slight improvement as far as that goes.

This is (url) a temporary solution to hold us over until the servers can properly be restored.

New memberships are closed until the forum is completely back on-line.

My sincere apologies to everyone for the inconvenience and loss of data.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Good thing we didn't lose bondnotblonde's Jerry posts. :lol:
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

FormerBondFan wrote:Good thing we didn't lose bondnotblonde's Jerry posts. :lol:
Yes, lots be thankful for the small things :roll: :wink:

Should I hold off reposing news until its overs?
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Bond77

Post by Bond77 »

Blowfeld wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:Good thing we didn't lose bondnotblonde's Jerry posts. :lol:
Yes, lots be thankful for the small things :roll: :wink:

Should I hold off reposing news until its overs?
That's the tact I'm taking. I think Goldeneye needs a few more days to complete the transition. I am holding out until he is closer to completion. At least he is keeping us informed and giving us explanations unlike some other "communities" :wink: :lol:
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

This man has been called in to help fix the forum. :wink:

Bring back Bond!
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

carl stromberg wrote:This man has been called in to help fix the forum. :wink:

Thank God for Montgomery Scott!
Engineering. No casualties, captain, but trouble aplenty with the engines. Every dilithium crystal connection smashed in the warp engine circuitry. We're trying to bypass them now.
It should be safe to start posting again,, this is safe and independent now. When it get moved back home I'll copy this data base and upload it to so nothing will be lost again.
shaken not stirred
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, the spy who loved Me, the world is not enough, goldfinger, live and let die.
Favorite Movies: Iron man,Iron man 2, avengers, goldeneye, dark city, back to the future, live and let die.

Post by shaken not stirred »

No worries goldeneye and thanks for the update, atleast some of the stuff lost can be salvaged unlike another company (cough sony cough) d**n hackers luckily didn't get My data and details (fingers crossed) but the compromised 100 million psn accounts and since jane blonde is back I'll redo the lumberjack (james bond song) with the monkey email and put it back up if you guys want?.
Bond....James bond....Rest in peace (1964-2002)
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

UPDATE:
The forum and site will be going up and down over the next few days. A lot of work is going in to making the transition as easy as possible, but with as much work that has to be done to make things ready there will be a lot of interruptions.

Today update:
The forum software was reinstalled now so we could start preparing the database for the move home when everything is finally ready to go back.

A lot of little things will be missing or not working right, Quick Replies, Video links, things like that. These feature will be reinstalled or replaced with new programs.
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

Today's Update:

We made one last ditch attempt to recover the last of the missing data (March - May 13th), this attempt was unsuccessful. The posts currently in the forum is what we have, meaning we lost two months of posts and we have to go forward from here. The responsibility for this lose is mine for not making sure our backups were good.

What happened was last Friday (May 13th) the database table where the Post data was stored became unstable, all attempts to fix it were unsuccessful. And the backup made since march tuned out to be corrupted to an unusable point.

A bigger problem with the Server emerged making it impossible to restore service on DCinB.com, the problem with the server may answer the question of why the database and backups made since March failed.

As of right now the forum is back up, the database was restored and software reinstalled. We will be missing a few extra functions we all have gotten accustom to, these will be reinstalled when we make the move back home to DCinB next week.

The next planned outage is next week when the forum is moved back to DCinB proper.
What I could use is everyone to post and browse the forums, let me know if (this thread, PMs, email) if any errors show up. This is just to test the system.

It is safe to go back in the water, the problems that cause the outage have been fixed so please feel free to post.
katied

Post by katied »

Thanks for keeping us updated, and glad it's fixed! :martini:
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

It still screws up. I could not get on to any threads for 5 minutes. It kept saying some kind of error.
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

Is there such a thing as the "zombie apocalypse"? :?:

I the DB is working well but the new server is having issues, I just got off with tech support they were back logged with people with similar accounts are reporting problems!

Of course when they check it loads in record time! :cuss:

We are not losing data the DB is working well it is the server that were a problem tonight. Lets keep going, let me know if/when any or you have trouble. So far the forum software and repaired DB seem fine.

BJ was it a connection error? I sent a PM with photos of the 2 other errors we might see.
mcbride007
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights
Goldfinger
For Your Eyes Only

Post by mcbride007 »

Sounds like a nightmare.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

What the heck is going on here? For 2 days I was being connected to godaddy.com and another website when I tried to get on to our site. Does anyone know why these problems have suddenly occurred?
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

We will be moving the forum back to the DCinB servers shortly. Please excuse the slight interruption in service..
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

We are back online with our new servers! :yay:

Here is what’s new today:
Two of the Avatar galleries were renamed to be more consistent with the volume numbers.

If your chosen Avatar is missing it was part of the old 007 Vol 1 & 2 folders, no avatars have been lost, they are still there but need to be re-selected from the renamed folders.

The error where member who joined prior to May 2008 encountered problem recovering lost password has been resolved.

New features have been added or in some case of a few old favorite were restored.

New servers may show us new problems, please let me know (here, PM, or Emai) if you see issues.

Thanks,

GE
(your friendly neighborhood admin)
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Neither site would load for me. Just as suddenly both were back up :| :?
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

For those with difficulties logging in, deleting the site cookies may fix the problem. We moved the server 3 times since the first failure on May 13th, the board probably generated a new cookie for each move

If anyone still has trouble logging in please send me an email @ goldeneye@danielcraigisnotbond.com

Email goldeneye@danielcraigisnotbond.com

I am sorry for this glitch and inconvenience it has cause. I sincerely hope it will be the last technical difficulty we experience for a long, long time.