What TV programmes are watching at the moment?

Dedicated to Television Related Discussions.
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

Just started watching Entourage on dvd.
Not bad, nothing ground breaking or fantastic, but quite watchable.
I like Jeremy Pivens character.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Watching series one of Life On Mars again.

Entourage is watchable. Not as good as the classic Fastlane though!!!!
Bring back Bond!
Gary Seven
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Gary Seven »

Watching The Prisioner again. And Star Trek Enterprise.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

all of my favs are in rerun :(

so we are renting movies like fiends :twisted:
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I'm watching Hetty Wainthropp Investigates, bizarrely enough.

It stars the great Patricia Routeledge and Dominic Monagan from Lost and Lord of the Rings as her assistant Geoffrey.

It's a very English programme.
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Watching season 2 of Life on Mars on BBC America at the moment. Never got to see season 1. I'll try to explain the end when I get to it. How many episodes were there? I hope they don't mess up the US version too badly. At least Colm Meaney is playing Gene Hunt, which gives me some hope that it might not be totally terrible.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Lost Season 3.
I'd try to explain it but what the hell would be the point!!? Glad we onlt rented this> it is enjoyable and confusing...Which maybe my problem with ti. I like an hour or 2 hours that go together and make sense. Remembering what happedn in season one ain't goign to work
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

Every year before the season starts for Lost, I always watch the previous season just to get refreshed (a must for this show). So now after seeing season 1 and 2 twice, I moved on to 3 on DVD and now I'm all set for season four. :)
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

stockslivevan wrote:Every year before the season starts for Lost, I always watch the previous season just to get refreshed (a must for this show). So now after seeing season 1 and 2 twice, I moved on to 3 on DVD and now I'm all set for season four. :)
That may be the way to do it! I forgot the others hanged Charlie! ( I was a little disappointed with how Charlie died :( )

Do you watch it as the season unfolds or do you catch the season opener and then get the rest on dvd? I know I have no patience waiting for them to get to teh next show when they take another break after just starting!
Although I do like the warm locations when it's freezing outside :)
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

The first time I watched it, it was on DVD during season two airing. So because of all the praise and such, I decided to rent the first two discs. After viewing them, I bought the first season set. :lol: Thank god it didn't go downhill from there. :P

But that's how I first started watching. Then I had to catch up season two the only way possible at the time: iTunes. So I finally caught up with the show in the middle of that season and since then I watched it live.

But you are right, it is no where near as fun as not having to wait for a week. I loved that I could just get to the next episode after a big cliffhanger comes up. Oh the good old days. :(

Anyway, I got used to waiting for new episodes. It's frustrating but ABC fixed it up on season three. I HATED how in season two they would play four episodes, have a month and a half hiatus, two episodes, another hiatus and so on! :x So ABC retaliated by airing them all week after week with only one hiatus (the winter haitus, since every show goes through that) and it worked better for me.

Still I kinda wish I never saw the show now so I could have had a whole marathon going on.

So did you only view season three by DVD? That's probably why Charlie's death might have disappointed you. For me I had to watch it week by week and so the build up and timing just worked I guess when it's stretched out by months instead of hours.

Apparently, the end of season three is the beginning of the middle section, so there's gonna be some big changes from what I hear for season for and onward.

One thing that's awesome is that the premiere is right on my birthday. :) Go me.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

The 31st? Happy Birthday!!!! (in case I forget later)

I got the build up of Charlie's Death, we only watched a episode or 2 a night, we did a marathon Friday night in to teh early hours :) and finished off the season.

It was great build up, but i couldn't help thinking why didn't he go to the other side of the door and lock it, why didn't he swim out after the room filled, why didn't Desmond strap on teh tank and swim to the other side and save him..
It was good adn I'll miss the little hobbit, all season I thought he was going to buy it. Now that it happened I wish it would have been a little more unpreventable.

Mr Eco's dying was quick, wonder if John told the truth about his last words?

Not Penny's Boat! SO Ben told the truth about something! Enjoy your 2 hr birthday gift!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

James wrote:Can anyone explain the last episode of Life On Mars?
Seemed pretty clear to me (spoilers follow).
Spoiler
Sam awoke from his coma and returned to the present day, but found the real world mundane and deadening compared to the fantasy life he had created for himself in his comatose state, so he threw himself off a tall building and ended up back in a coma - and in 1973
. It was a vivid illustration of the phrase "be careful what you wish for, you might just get it".
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

The new Life on Mars "spin-off" starts in a few weeks. It's set in the 1980s.

I'm looking forward to Lost too. It's more fun to watch programmes in a block on DVD. With Lost, I like to watch it when it's on so it does not get spoit by spoilers (!) and I can read the Lost forums immediately afterwards.

I'd love to put Arnold Rimmer on the Lost Island. I wonder what he would have said if he had visted Jacob. :lol:
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

carl stromberg wrote:The new Life on Mars "spin-off" starts in a few weeks. It's set in the 1980s.
Probably be a while before BBC America picks it up. I'm not sure about this one, seems like a bit of a retread, with another cop from the present day (played by Keeley Hawes) ending up in the past. I hope it will be a good, but it has the potential to be a real "jump the shark" moment.
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

Kristatos wrote:
Spoiler
Sam awoke from his coma and returned to the present day, but found the real world mundane and deadening compared to the fantasy life he had created for himself in his comatose state, so he threw himself off a tall building and ended up back in a coma - and in 1973
. It was a vivid illustration of the phrase "be careful what you wish for, you might just get it".

The retrospective bits cleared up most of it for me. It's The Wizard Of Oz really. I did like the ending though. I was confused trying to work out if Gene Hunt was real or not.

The Ashes To Ashes trailers are running on the BBC now and it looks great. Ray Carling's Kevin Keegan perm and leather jacket is hilarious. Reviews of the first episode are starting to pop up;

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a85879 ... rdict.html...
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Enjoyed the new Lost.

I beleive it's only 8 episodes long because of the writers' strike. What will they do if they break off the strike in the next few days? Make a few more episodes, or just leave it as an 8 episode series?
Bring back Bond!
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

carl stromberg wrote:Enjoyed the new Lost.

I beleive it's only 8 episodes long because of the writers' strike. What will they do if they break off the strike in the next few days? Make a few more episodes, or just leave it as an 8 episode series?
It's possible they will stretch the show all the way to July. They had to for some shows during the strike that occurred in 1988-1989. It could be a good thing considering reality shows mostly take over the summer, Lost would have an advantage (and possibly other shows).

But no one really knows at the moment. If the strike does last long, we'll probably end up with an 8 episode season.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

What the hell was with the 2hr premier last week. Huge disappointment!! Not the show.. That was ok.
ABC reneged on the promised 2hr premier. When I first told the box to record the show it was 2 different show leading into each other, on teh night itself it was one new viewer catch up show and one new show. d**n writers strike :x

This is why good shows died in 87-88
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Dr. No wrote:What the hell was with the 2hr premier last week. Huge disappointment!! Not the show.. That was ok.
ABC reneged on the promised 2hr premier. When I first told the box to record the show it was 2 different show leading into each other, on teh night itself it was one new viewer catch up show and one new show. d**n writers strike :x

This is why good shows died in 87-88
I never fall for that crap. The only time they every have two-hour episodes is during the finale and every year they start a new season they show an hour clipshow of the previous season. But yes, shame on ABC for making it look otherwise.
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

James wrote:
Kristatos wrote:
Spoiler

The retrospective bits cleared up most of it for me. It's The Wizard Of Oz really. I did like the ending though. I was confused trying to work out if Gene Hunt was real or not.

The Ashes To Ashes trailers are running on the BBC now and it looks great. Ray Carling's Kevin Keegan perm and leather jacket is hilarious. Reviews of the first episode are starting to pop up;

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a85879 ... rdict.html...
I watched A2A, and have mixed feelings about it. It doesn't have the edgy, 70's Sweeney feel anymore (understandably because its now in the 80's) but feel some it too cheesy now.

Overall, great to see the Gene Genie back, and looking forward to this week's episode....