What TV programmes are watching at the moment?

Dedicated to Television Related Discussions.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: What TV programmes are watching at the moment?

Post by Kristatos »

I don't normally do the binge-watching thing, but I have been watching the box set of the BBC's new supernatural drama The Living And The Dead, filmed around Bristol and set in Somerset, so that I can review it for the Wessex Chronicle, magazine of Wessex Society. The Beeb took the unusual step of making all 6 episodes available on iPlayer before they were broadcast on TV.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

A little late to the party, I know (everyone else has probably seen it on streaming), but Universal Channel here in the UK has just started showing Mr Robot. It's just as good as everybody says it is.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I watched Stranger Things, the popular 80s set horror.
Bring back Bond!
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

:up: Series two of Stranger Things already confirmed. I suppose they have to get a move on before the kids grow up. It's like a Stephen King book turned into a miniseries with Steven Spielberg directing and John Carpenter doing the music.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I watched it as well. I don't normally do the binge-watching thing, but it was only 8 episodes, so not a huge time commitment. I think I watched it over 3 days.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I tried to get into this show, got to show two maybe three

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
............ :007:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

What TV programmes are watching at the moment?

Post by Omega »

Watched the first few shows of the first season of Lucifer.
Actually pretty good. I imagine faith groups are protesting its existence.
I'd say that it's actually giving people something to think about, the idea of the devil in living in LA solving crimes also lends to the idea of god being real

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Anybody else been watching Hooten and the Lady? Another fun show that's more like Bond than Bond is these days.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I am watching Steptoe and Son. It's annoying that some of the colour series is missing and they just have a black and white tape version.
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

There are a few Pertwee Doctor Who episodes like that. I think one episode of one of his Dalek stories is in b&w, with the rest in colour.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I watched Westworld which was very good. They spent lots of money on it so it was great to look at.

I also enjoyed the Inside No 9 Christmas special which was made in the style of a 1970's British tv horror programme.
Bring back Bond!
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

enjoyed the first episode of the new season(series) of Sherlock though I hear the second episode is a hot mess(I thought the last season was way all over the place but my faith has been restored.Kinda.)
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

The second episode is much better than the first. It was The Six Thatchers that people were calling a hot mess.
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

The Good Doctor(Freddie Highmore plays an autistic doctor..it''s way better than it sounds.)

The Menendez brothers show on NBC
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Watching the new season of garage squad on velocity. It’s a show where a team of mechanics ( and a token female) go to peoples homes and help them get a old project back on the road. A number of people the show helped are disabled in some way, last show the poor guy was a EMT how can no longer work on his car because he has MS. In recent shows They’ve been targeting veterans and people like first responders to help, but it can be just average people in over their heads.

About the token female remark, since the first season they had a pretty girl as part of the crew, she would maybe change the oil and talk about the interior of the car. Heather who replaced the first girl cast to her credit has learned to do a lot and is a good part of the team now, so I’d say she is no longer a token but that is how the producers cast the show. Plenty of women mechanics worth a d**n out there, producers might try looking.

What I like about this show is it shows what a hot mess fixing a old car can be, similar to how Edd China on Wheeler dealers would in depth so some repairs you would normally never see.

For a car buff Garage Squad is a fun hour long show.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Watched a few of the new Wheeler dealers without Edd China. New guy is a Brit called Ant. Never heard of him before.

Basically the show is not anywhere near as good without Edd.
Ant is OK as a mechanic, I caught stuff he did wrong or didn’t seem to know. He skips a lot of steps and I feel there is another team of mechanics doing the actual work and fabrication with Ant doing a few hard jobs for the camera.
He tries to talk through what the process is but it’s clear he’s 100% sure and not in charge of what’s happening. There was adapting a transmission in a old vehicle to automatic he was cutting out crossmember to make room, this is a huge no no without a way to reinforce it stronger than before, he acts like he’s grabbing a few pieces of scrap metal to reinforce this, come back with a very custom bracket obviously prefabed someplace else designed specifically for that transmission and that vehicle. Probably a kit sold online, that not a problem it’s that the show is trying to pass off Ant work as spontaneous, ignoring the purchase of the fabrication kit the and team of professional mechanics behind the finished steps.
I don’t hate Ant, it’s just the show is less interesting now. Edd was right velocity productions is cutting corners for the mechanics part of the show.

Bright spot is they dialed Mike’s clown s**t down. Last few seasons he’d put in a production about trying to help fix the cars or be more involved. It was way too forced and probably his reaction to people taking Edd’s side and getting made at him for working Edd too hard with crap cars.

Basically the shows not completely ruined just nowhere near as compelling as before. If I had seen this season first I never would have bothered watching the rest of the show from season 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Omega wrote:Watched a few of the new Wheeler dealers without Edd China. New guy is a Brit called Ant. Never heard of him before.

Basically the show is not anywhere near as good without Edd.
Ant is OK as a mechanic, I caught stuff he did wrong or didn’t seem to know. He skips a lot of steps and I feel there is another team of mechanics doing the actual work and fabrication with Ant doing a few hard jobs for the camera.
He tries to talk through what the process is but it’s clear he’s 100% sure and not in charge of what’s happening. There was adapting a transmission in a old vehicle to automatic he was cutting out crossmember to make room, this is a huge no no without a way to reinforce it stronger than before, he acts like he’s grabbing a few pieces of scrap metal to reinforce this, come back with a very custom bracket obviously prefabed someplace else designed specifically for that transmission and that vehicle. Probably a kit sold online, that not a problem it’s that the show is trying to pass off Ant work as spontaneous, ignoring the purchase of the fabrication kit the and team of professional mechanics behind the finished steps.
I don’t hate Ant, it’s just the show is less interesting now. Edd was right velocity productions is cutting corners for the mechanics part of the show.

Bright spot is they dialed Mike’s clown s**t down. Last few seasons he’d put in a production about trying to help fix the cars or be more involved. It was way too forced and probably his reaction to people taking Edd’s side and getting made at him for working Edd too hard with crap cars.

Basically the shows not completely ruined just nowhere near as compelling as before. If I had seen this season first I never would have bothered watching the rest of the show from season 1.

Did a new company decide to dumb the programme down? That's a bit stupid as the show has been popular since 2003.

I watched James May's Cars of the People which is quite interesting. He was talking about the Toyota pick up truck which is used by thosepeople in war zones in the middle east, Africa etc - they stick a huge machine gun on the back. There was also an interesting show on the Austin Allegro.

Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

My dad had an Austin Allegro when I was a kid, the original model with the square steering wheel.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

carl stromberg wrote:
Did a new company decide to dumb the programme down? That's a bit stupid as the show has been popular since 2003.

I watched James May's Cars of the People which is quite interesting. He was talking about the Toyota pick up truck which is used by thosepeople in war zones in the middle east, Africa etc - they stick a huge machine gun on the back. There was also an interesting show on the Austin Allegro.

They dumbed to show down a lot, I think what velocity channel is doing is buying up the cars for the show then running them through a shop with a team of mechanics actually looking at the cars and Ant showing up to turn a wrench on camera. Some scenes Ant is literally lifting out already loose parts from the engine bay trying to look like he disconnected it instead of just pulled it out. Also some of the engine repairs are unnecessary and I think done to beef up the mechanics portion of the show, Ant changed hydraulic lifters in a car that didn’t need the job s d a headgasket on another that was fine as well.

Also these cars are not given the full going over, steering components and suspension are ignored most shows. I’d buy any car Edd China said was good to go, this show not so much.

I think velocity is trying to do an assembly line approach to a show that was hand crafted.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Had to look up the austin allegro steering wheel, what a weird design.