Sherlock

Dedicated to Television Related Discussions.
katied

Sherlock

Post by katied »

I know there has been some talk about Sherlock on the "what are you watching?" thread but I thought it deserved its own thread.

The first episode aired in the States(as part of PBS' Masterpiece Mystery series) last Sunday. I loved it. I'm not a Holmes purist, and I know some people were skeptical about a version of Holmes, set in the 2st century and complete with mobile phones and computers.
Powder Puff
Lieutenant

Re: Sherlock

Post by Powder Puff »

I thought it would be terrible. In fact it was very good and a fresh twist on Holmes. Freeman and Cumberbatch were perfect.
katied

Post by katied »

I loved all of it, but my favorite bit was when
Spoiler
They were at the press conference, and then all of a sudden everyone starts getting text messages that say "Wrong!"

A lot of people who like previous incarnations( Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett especially) of Sherlock have given Cumberbatch the thumbs up.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Series 2 opener is one of the best, perhaps the best show or movie I have seen. Had my doubt about them coming back after series 1 was so outstanding.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
katied

Post by katied »

It won't air in the States until this Spring. :cuss: I am amazed that BBC America didn't get the rightt to it.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Series 1 was so good the follow up could be rubbish. I need to watch this show a few more times, as Kris said if Tintin were half as good a script it would be the next Finding Nemo. Add Doctor Who to the list too for that matter.

I was very dubious of adding Irene Adler, so easy to get wrong, they did in the recent movie. However Lara Pulver and Benedict Cumberbatch had wonderful chemistry.

I should mention there was a Bond reference. [spoil]Flight 007 / operation Bond[/spoil]
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote: I should mention there was a Bond reference. [spoil]Flight 007 / operation Bond[/spoil]
Moff has been sticking a lot of Bond references in his Who scripts recently as well. He appears to be a fan, maybe they should let him write Bond 24, but that would be way too much fun for Serious Babs. Plus, most Moffat characters are geeky and awkward with women - the polar opposite of Bond.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Sherlock was great - wonderful production values.
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

carl stromberg wrote:Sherlock was great - wonderful production values.
Lara Pulver has praised the costume department on Twitter. If you saw the episode, you'll know this is tongue-in-cheek.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:
carl stromberg wrote:Sherlock was great - wonderful production values.
Lara Pulver has praised the costume department on Twitter. If you saw the episode, you'll know this is tongue-in-cheek.
Indeed! :lol:

Baskervilles was interesting. Can not wait for Reichenbach Fall.

[spoil]The aftermath of this is supposedly where Nero Wolfe springs from, Mother Adler, Father Sherlock. Nero did take after Uncle Mycroft ;)[/spoil]
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Underwhelmed by Reichenbach :?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote:Underwhelmed by Reichenbach :?
I thought it was a good episode, but overlong. The scene on the rooftop seemed to go on forever, and we all knew that
Spoiler
Sherlock wasn't dead
, so the big reveal had little impact when it finally, finally came.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:
Blowfeld wrote:Underwhelmed by Reichenbach :?
I thought it was a good episode, but overlong. The scene on the rooftop seemed to go on forever, and we all knew that
Spoiler
Sherlock wasn't dead
, so the big reveal had little impact when it finally, finally came.
I feel it was the first show they botched. We all know what was to happen to follow the original story in some respect. Moriarty's story arc was less than satisfying ([spoil]they did the OTT arc who is way too manic and crazy see End Of Time and John Simms for a good example.[/spoil]) & ([spoil]Sherlock's 'note' along with the way the tabloid press was turning on him I felt did not feel right for the series.[/spoil])

Perhaps I am being too critical.
Thunderpussy
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, Goldfinger, The spy who loved me,Tomorrow never dies.
Favorite Movies: Jaws, Die hard series,Independance day,The matrix trilogy

Post by Thunderpussy »

I simply Love Sherlock, can't wait until the third series, although I know it will be a long wait.
katied

Post by katied »

CBS greenlit a American version of Sherlock Holmes(set in New York) called Elementary. No. Just no. It's been done before-too-House, anyone?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote:CBS greenlit a American version of Sherlock Holmes(set in New York) called Elementary. No. Just no. It's been done before-too-House, anyone?
And apparently Sherlock is to be played by Benedict Cumberbatch's Frankenstein co-star, Jonny Lee Miller.
katied

Post by katied »

I like Jonny Lee(he played a Sean Connery obsessed drug addict in Trainspotting 8) ) ..even that doesn't change my attitude.

There are a lot of people in the Sherlock Holmes fandom that are not happy about an American version of Sherlock Holmes.Can't say I blame them.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

katied wrote:I like Jonny Lee(he played a Sean Connery obsessed drug addict in Trainspotting 8) ) ..even that doesn't change my attitude.

There are a lot of people in the Sherlock Holmes fandom that are not happy about an American version of Sherlock Holmes.Can't say I blame them.
Will he have an American accent of just be the English Sherlock but in New York?
Bring back Bond!
katied

Post by katied »

Not sure yet. I can sum up my feelings about this show in 3 words: Do. Not.Want. :mrgreen:
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Lucy Liu as Watson? No thank you.
I like Lee Miller and Lucy for that matter, I can't see them in the roles.

There was a CBS tv movie of the week like this and it failed even thou it had an intriguing idea of Sherlock freezing himself to see the new millennium and essential had a female 20th century doctor picking up the Watson role. I think it was called 1992 Baker Street. Set in San Francisco and on Baker Street house number 1992. Clever right? _.///

AFter seeing SHerlock done right it is painful to see CBS copy then ruin the idea to hell. We have had many very bad Sherlock movies and shows after the BBC show Sherlock can be fascinating and compelling set in today's world CBS is going to kill the idea for a long time.