Red Dwarf

Dedicated to Television Related Discussions.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Red Dwarf

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

A new Red Dwarf special is being planned.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Red Dwarf

Post by Kristatos »

The press report wasn't clear whether it was a new episode or just a documentary-cum-clip-show, though. I dunno, to me, Red Dwarf jumped the shark when Rob Grant left, so it's hard for me to get as excited as I should be by this news.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Whatever happened to the Movie?
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote:Whatever happened to the Movie?
I think they had trouble attracting the sort of budget they would need to produce a movie of what is, after all, a cult show. The TV show was expensive by BBC comedy standards, but it pales in comparison to the moolah they would need in order to make a film version.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

They are making a couple of specials for Dave, the digital channel.
Bring back Bond!
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

The specials are on at Easter. They should be fun, but may be as disappointing as the last series.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7851989.stm
Red Dwarf voyages back to Earth

Red Dwarf won a Bafta for best British comedy series
Cult comedy Red Dwarf is returning to TV, 21 years after its initial launch.

The show has been resurrected by digital channel Dave for a two-part Easter weekend special, which sees the cast finally return to Earth.

Written and directed by Red Dwarf co-creator Doug Naylor, the new show reunites the line-up, including Coronation Street's Craig Charles.

The hit show, which ran for eight series on BBC Two between 1988 and 1999, won an International Emmy award.

'No holds barred'

Set three million years into the future, the show followed the exploits of Dave Lister, slovenly crew member of the mining ship Red Dwarf - and the last man in the universe.

He was joined in his weekly attempts to make it back to Earth by a cast of oddballs including human hologram Arnold Rimmer, mechanoid servant Kryten and Cat - a preening half-man, half-animal who evolved from the ship's cat.

At its peak, Red Dwarf pulled in around eight million viewers and was broadcast in more than 25 countries.

It has sold more than seven million DVDs and videos.

The new two-part series Red Dwarf: Back to Earth will be followed by a "no holds barred" episode without sets, special effects or autocue.

The weekend will climax with Red Dwarf: the Making of Back to Earth, a behind-the-scenes special from the new episodes.

Bring back Bond!
CaptainLewis
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye
O.H.M.S.S.
Favorite Movies: Alien & Aliens
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

'Red Dwarf' begins filming at Corrie

Filming of two new episodes of cult TV series Red Dwarf began filming over the weekend on the set of Coronation Street.

The two-part special, entitled Red Dwarf: Return To Earth, will see Dave Lister - played by Craig Charles - finally succeed in his desire to make a comeback to his home planet.

As part of the plot, Lister's crew, made up of Rimmer (Chris Barrie), Kryten (Robert Llewellyn) and Cat (Danny John-Jules), go in search of him and instead bump into Charles's Corrie character Lloyd Mullaney in The Rovers Return.

As part of the filming, Weatherfield's Steve McDonald (Simon Gregson) also made an appearance.

In an exclusive interview with DS at the end of last year, Charles teased: "I can't really give the storyline away but it's a fantastic one. It's really quite weird and sees me playing quite a few characters, some of them I've already played on television. That's all I can say."

A special Red Dwarf weekend has been scheduled to broadcast at Easter on digital channel Dave, which commissioned four 30-minute specials, including two documentaries.

According to the show's official site, filming of the episodes is due to officially commence at Shepperton Studios on Monday, February 16.
Website: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a14540 ... orrie.html
CaptainLewis
Agent
O.H.M.S.S.
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

CaptainLewis
Agent
O.H.M.S.S.
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

Red Dwarf: Where have the smegheads been?

Those boys from the Dwarf will be back on our screens at Easter in an all-new adventure on digital channel Dave. But what have the actors behind the slobbish Dave Lister, the cowardly Arnold Rimmer, the feline fashionista Cat and servant robot Kryten been up to since the last series of Red Dwarf in 1999? We take a look at their careers over the last decade. Altogether now - better dead than smeg...

Craig Charles - Dave Lister

After laying down Lister's legendary dreadlocks, Craig Charles secured a regular stream of work that brought out his cheeky Liverpudlian humour and enthusiasm. Presenting duties on BBC2's Robot Wars and a stint narrating cult gameshow Takeshi's Castle kept him busy until 2004.

The barrel was starting to be scraped in 2005 when he signed up for Channel 4's reality sports competition The Games, competing alongside the likes of Chesney Hawkes and Danny from Hear'Say. He managed a respectable fourth place - a far cry from Lister and his distinctly unhealthy shami kebab-munching, curry-guzzling and urine recyc-swigging lifestyle.

A bit part in Sky One's footie drama Dream Team was hardly the crowning glory of his CV, yet 2005 appeared to be a turning point when he scooped the plum role of cabbie Lloyd Mullaney in Coronation Street.

However, Charles's career revival was jeopardised in 2006 when a tabloid ran an exposé of his turbulent private life and addictions, leading to a police caution later that year for possession of a Class A drug. Suspension from the soap ensued, but he returned in early 2007 and remains a popular member of the cast.

Chris Barrie - Arnold Judas Rimmer

People used to quip 'what a guy' whenever Rimmer's dashing alter ego Ace entered the fray. Sadly, not too many kippers were being smoked when it came to Barrie's post-Dwarf career. It seems the millennium bug hit hard as his other sitcoms The Brittas Empire and flop A Prince Among Men failed to make it beyond the late '90s. Even Mr Flibble looked more of a bankable star at the turn of the century.

Barrie took a surprising change in career direction by fronting a number of documentary series on the Discovery Channel (and later Channel 5) such as Massive Machines and Massive Engines. Sadly, Starbug wasn't one of the methods of transport being probed by the talented comic. Short-lived BBC2 quiz show Petrolheads also gave Barrie the chance to display his motoring knowledge in 2006.

He appeared alongside some more impressive bodywork in the shape of Angelina Jolie, playing Lara Croft's butler in both films in the Tomb Raider franchise. A starring role in the 2007 British comedy Back In Business failed to find an audience though, despite the presence of sofa-flogger Martin Kemp.

Danny John Jules - Cat

A key role in 2002's horror sequel Blade II suggested good things were on the horizon for Jules, but a couple of years later he took guest parts in the likes of Casualty and Doctors - a move that usually signals a career on the wane. As Cat might have put it, his career looked deader than corduroy.

However, Jules's charms were lapped up by a new generation of viewers in 2007 thanks to the role of MI9 agent Lenny in two seasons of acclaimed children's show MI High.

Sadly though, a brush with the other side of the law in 2008 meant that the former dancer was convicted of two counts of battery and sentenced to 120 hours community service. Presumably that left him feeling a little Tongue Tied... although the prospect of donning the Cat's dashing outfits again must have cheered him up.

Robert Llewellyn - Kryten

While Chris Barrie looked at operational machines, Llewellyn became more interested in what happens to them after they've bitten the dust. Many series of the cheap and cheerful Channel 4 show Scrapheap Challenge allowed him to showcase his presenting skills and his actual face! Believe it or not, it's not shaped like a novelty condom in real life, unlike that of poor Kryten.

Acting was very much put on the back burner after Red Dwarf, with only guest parts in Hustle and MI High (alongside the Cat!) of any note. His writing talents were deployed in several books that mined his observational wit, but it's the presenting that keeps him on our screens. In 2008 alone he fronted both Top Trumps and gadget show Batteries Not Included. Sadly he has yet to turn up as a small, off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic warden in any capacity.
Website: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a14665 ... -been.html
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I'm looking forward to watching this this evening! Should be fun.
Bring back Bond!
CaptainLewis
Agent
O.H.M.S.S.
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

As this was the first ever episode of Red Dwarf I have seen, I thought it was rather good, though the cgi was a bit iffy.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

CaptainLewis wrote:As this was the first ever episode of Red Dwarf I have seen, I thought it was rather good, though the cgi was a bit iffy.
They made some classic episodes, although the last two series were a bit dull.

The new one was OK. The production values looked much better even though the budget was lower than the earlier episodes. I presume that now you can get a decent standard of CGI for a small amount of cash.
Bring back Bond!
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

It wasn't bad. It would be nice to have a proper new series now with good production values.
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me

I enjoyed the new episode on Dave. It's more like the earlier series and the experimentation is gone.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I still haven't seen Back To Earth. I agree that the new series feels more like seasons 3-6. And I was laughing out loud at the moose scene ("1971? Was he Swedish?")