What TV programmes are watching at the moment?

Dedicated to Television Related Discussions.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: What TV programmes are watching at the moment?

Post by Kristatos »

carl stromberg wrote: They also had a drama - Micro Men - about the development of the home computer in the early 80' in Britain. It showed Clive Sinclair (inventor of the awful Spectrum :wink: ) and the developer of the BBC micro (even more awful :wink: ) competing againt each other.
Aww, I forgot that was on. I wanted to see that, cos my first computer was a Speccy (the early 48K version with the rubber keyboard).
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

Still loving Glee-I suppose you'll get it in the UK eventually. 8)
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Hopefully Micro Men will be on again.

I enjoyed watching I'm A Celebrity Get Me out of Here! a few weeks ago with George Hamilton in it.
Bring back Bond!
katied

Post by katied »

carl stromberg wrote:I have been watching the BBC (on BBC4) technology season. One 3- part program showed a family spending a week in the 70's, 80's and 90's using the technology of that decade; it was interesting to see the development of technology. Most houses today seem to resemble the Starship Enterprise!

That sounds like a really cool show-hopefully some cable company here gets the rights to it. :up:
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Micro Men is on BBC4 on the 30th December I think.

I watched the Paul Calf Video Diaries starring Steve Coogan) again - classic TV. "I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play McBeth - say it!". :lol:
Bring back Bond!
katied

Post by katied »

I wonder if it'd be possible to watch or(say it quietly) download Micro Men anywhere?
katied

Post by katied »

Bought the first season of True Blood on DVD. I've only watched a couple episodes, but I really like it! :up:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote:Bought the first season of True Blood on DVD. I've only watched a couple episodes, but I really like it! :up:
Took me a while to get into it, but I'm hooked now. The opening credits alone are worth the price of admission (metaphorically speaking).
katied

Post by katied »

I'm amazed at how good Anna Paquin's accent is. :up:

There was a lot of stuff they changed from the books(Andy Bellefleur is a bit older than I picture him,for one thing). I know a lot of people were like "WTF?" at Tara's character being black on the TV show..but if you read the books...I'm almost positive she is,at the least, mixed race.

Her brother looks *exactly* like I picture him.Sam(the bar owner) too.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote:I'm amazed at how good Anna Paquin's accent is. :up:

There was a lot of stuff they changed from the books(Andy Bellefleur is a bit older than I picture him,for one thing). I know a lot of people were like "WTF?" at Tara's character being black on the TV show..but if you read the books...I'm almost positive she is,at the least, mixed race.

Her brother looks *exactly* like I picture him.Sam(the bar owner) too.
I've never read any of the books, so I can judge the TV show on its own merits.

Micro Men is on BBC4 again tonight. Apparently the film portrays Sir Clive Sinclair as a bit of a monster and his rival, the boss of Acorn Computing, as the sane and rational one. A bit of bias, perhaps, since Acorn developed the BBC Micro?
katied

Post by katied »

I think True Blood tranfers quite well from the books to TV -yes they did change some things,but I think it's for the better! :up:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Just watched the first episode of the new series of Hustle last night. It's another Kudos production, the company that also does Spooks, Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes. Their shows have a distinctive style to them, fun without being cheesy, and I'm starting to think that they could make a better fist of the Bond franchise than EON have since Cubby died.
katied

Post by katied »

Life On Mars and Ashes To Ashes are great..thank god for BBC America getting the rights to them.
oscartheman
Agent

Post by oscartheman »

Kristatos wrote:Just watched the first episode of the new series of Hustle last night. It's another Kudos production, the company that also does Spooks, Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes. Their shows have a distinctive style to them, fun without being cheesy, and I'm starting to think that they could make a better fist of the Bond franchise than EON have since Cubby died.
As a tv serial like Rome?
katied

Post by katied »

Rome was great :up: Roman history is making a comeback-there are several movies about the Romans coming out this year.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

oscartheman wrote:
Kristatos wrote:Just watched the first episode of the new series of Hustle last night. It's another Kudos production, the company that also does Spooks, Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes. Their shows have a distinctive style to them, fun without being cheesy, and I'm starting to think that they could make a better fist of the Bond franchise than EON have since Cubby died.
As a tv serial like Rome?
They've done a few films as well. Not really Bond-type films (the closest is probably David Cronenberg's thriller Eastern Promises), but it shouldn't be difficult to combine the tone of their TV shows with their expertise in film production.
katied

Post by katied »

One Big Happy Family on The Learning Channel, about a North Carolina family who weigh over 300 pounds.Each.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Watched the season premiere of Heroes last night. Shame it's probably going to be the last season (ratings are way down), as I thought it was something of a return to form after the disappointing season 3.
katied

Post by katied »

Watched a show about The Miracle On The Hudson. Good stuff. It's amazing that Sully saved all those peoples' lives. :up:
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Kristatos wrote:Watched the season premiere of Heroes last night. Shame it's probably going to be the last season (ratings are way down), as I thought it was something of a return to form after the disappointing season 3.
It is better than the last few series - I'm enjoying the mysterious circus owner. Heroes is one of those programmmes that is good even when it's bad, if that makes any sense.

I watched Bellamy's People on BBC2 which is a comedy programme with some of the Fast Show members, including Charlie Higson.
Bring back Bond!