US Presidential election 2020

A place for friendly discussions of politics in general.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: US Presidential election 2020

Post by Kristatos »

Oh, and the mainstream media has covered the Hunter Biden non-story, just not in the way you might like: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... se/616824/

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Kristatos wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:28 pm One cannot debate facts with a Trump cultist because, to the brainwashed, truth is whatever Trump says it is. If Trump says that 2+2=5, then that is what you are obliged to believe, even if he said that 2+2=6 yesterday.

Kris, you are pathetic. Cultist and brainwashed crap again? What did I write that is not a fact? Point it out. You are a political hack that believes gas chambers are on their way back.
Mexican Staring Frog
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Diamonds Are Forever
The Spy Who Loved Me
GoldenEye
Favorite Movies: 12 Angry Men
Midnight Cowboy
Rocky
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Hell or High Water

Post by Mexican Staring Frog »

Kristatos wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:28 pm One cannot debate facts with a Trump cultist because, to the brainwashed, truth is whatever Trump says it is. If Trump says that 2+2=5, then that is what you are obliged to believe, even if he said that 2+2=6 yesterday.

Like when Trump had his (first) press secretary Sean Spicer come out to talk about how Trump's inauguration crowd size was bigger than Obama's, when it was pretty clear not the case. For anyone else it wouldn't be much of a big deal, but for him size seems to be about everything.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Mexican Staring Frog wrote:

Like when Trump had his (first) press secretary Sean Spicer come out to talk about how Trump's inauguration crowd size was bigger than Obama's, when it was pretty clear not the case. For anyone else it wouldn't be much of a big deal, but for him size seems to be about everything.
Yeah, he's obsessed with ratings, as one might expect from a former reality TV star.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote: What did I write that is not a fact? Point it out.
Google "Brandolini's Law".

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Kristatos wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:17 am
bjmdds wrote: What did I write that is not a fact? Point it out.
Google "Brandolini's Law".

Again, you don't state what FACTS I mentioned are wrong. This is your response? "Brandolini's law, also known as the bulls--t asymmetry principle, is an internet adage which emphasizes the difficulty of debunking bullsh--t.---"The amount of energy needed to refute bulls--t is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."-------a liberal response to facts you do not want to believe exists. Enjoy your tormented existence hating Trump. I am done with you.------- Brandolini on this: HOME ECONOMY US GDP surged a record 33% in the 3rd quarter as the economy reopened, roughly double the next-biggest jump :!: ---FACT :!:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

There are no facts in your posts to refute, just a series of screamed assertions interspersed with :!: emojis. You can't have a rational discussion with someone who isn't rational.

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

You, the gas chamber lunatic, are rational? Those are facts. You won't engage because you have no response, as usual. I guess Jack Nicklaus is a brainwashed cultist too :!:
Mexican Staring Frog
Lieutenant
Diamonds Are Forever
The Spy Who Loved Me
GoldenEye
Midnight Cowboy
Rocky
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Hell or High Water

I thought right-wingers do not like it when celebrities/athletes prattle on about politics?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Glenn Greenwald resigns from The Intercept over censorship of stories critical of Biden: https://greenwald.substack.com/p/my-res ... -intercept
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:You, the gas chamber lunatic, are rational?
I briefly entertained the notion that Trump might go full Hitler if re-elected, before dismissing it as overblown. Then again....

Mexican Staring Frog
Lieutenant
Diamonds Are Forever
The Spy Who Loved Me
GoldenEye
Midnight Cowboy
Rocky
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Hell or High Water

Kristatos wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:26 pm Glenn Greenwald resigns from The Intercept over censorship of stories critical of Biden: https://greenwald.substack.com/p/my-res ... -intercept
I said we should essentially bring Biden's feet to the fire once elected, but I also think we should do the same for corporate media that aligned with ANY political point of view (FOX, NBC, CBS, etc). Ideally, the media would be adversarial of any politician/leader strictly as a way to keep them in check. Giving Biden a free pass is not what I want from our media. The only way to combat this is seek out and elect politicians who are not beholden to corporate donors but is truly representing the people. It's gonna be a very long fight. I'd just hope to see that shift happen in my lifetime.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I think the worst thing about a Biden victory, if he wins, is the prospect of people treating a return to the status quo ante as if it was the dawn of some glorious golden age. I've seen people on Twitter basically saying "can't wait to go back to sleep". Nobody's going to hold Biden's feet to the fire, any more than they did Obama. Fox Noise will come out with a load of bs conspiracy theories, but the "reality-based community" will just shrug.

I don't really want Trump to win, but if he does, at least it offers the prospect of the destruction of the Democratic party establishment, and the possibility of something better taking its place. Every cloud has a silver lining.
Mexican Staring Frog
Lieutenant
Diamonds Are Forever
The Spy Who Loved Me
GoldenEye
Midnight Cowboy
Rocky
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Hell or High Water

Certainly.

I would hope that this election has fired up a lot of people to actually keep paying attention to further elections, that includes the very crucial mid-terms. One of the problems with Obama was not only not living up to the promises that he made to his followers (though they pretty much forgot about that, now that he's seen more favorably) but that after being elected it seemed his followers became complacent. As if simply taking over from the GOP in 2008 was all that needed to happen and everything would be okay. It clearly wasn't. Every two years the DNC lost more power because they stopped inspiring people, while the GOP was firing up theirs to vote and take over the house, then the senate, and finally the white house.

Trump is right when he says he won the election because of Obama/Biden. If Biden simply does business as usual from 2009-2017, that may allow another Trump to rise to the challenge. Though I can't imagine any future candiate being as disastrous as Trump...
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Mexican Staring Frog wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:56 am Trump is right when he says he won the election because of Obama/Biden. If Biden simply does business as usual from 2009-2017, that may allow another Trump to rise to the challenge. Though I can't imagine any future candiate being as disastrous as Trump...
I think he won it because of Hillary, personally. Biden has one advantage over her in that,while he doesn't exactly inspire enthusiasm, he isn't actively loathed the way she is.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

US Presidential election 2020

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
Mexican Staring Frog wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:56 am Trump is right when he says he won the election because of Obama/Biden. If Biden simply does business as usual from 2009-2017, that may allow another Trump to rise to the challenge. Though I can't imagine any future candiate being as disastrous as Trump...
I think he won it because of Hillary, personally. Biden has one advantage over her in that,while he doesn't exactly inspire enthusiasm, he isn't actively loathed the way she is.
Honestly I think Biden and Harris are disposable to the Democrat party, IMO the higher ups pulling the strings have no expectations of winning so the put two candidates they will not miss in 2024 on the ballot. Kamala Harris bombed out in the primaries, Biden would have lost if the DNC had not organized a staged revolt against Bernie Sanders. Bernie would be a much tougher fight for trump.

Biden by my generation and younger is the creepy old guy Obama kept around for some reason. People voting for trump feel they are voting against the Washington which existed for the last 20-30 years. The most die hard Biden supporters tend to hate trump with passion. Either way trump is the flame that sparks the enthusiasm.
SNL I think has a good spoof of Democrat voters voting for Trump, “My entire personality is hating Donald Trump. If he’s gone, what am I supposed to do? Focus on my kids again? No thanks!”

Biden is not hated like Hillary and maybe that helps, but I don’t think people care if he is there are not. I honestly think the democrats hate a chance to put up someone against trump who could be a true alternative to trump.
Right now it’s like the never trumpers picked the DNC candidate and platform, maybe they’re the super secrecy re-elect Trump committee because the choice is we’re sorry establishment please come back or F’it.
The democrats could have found a candidate who wanted to move America forward from where it is now with the changed dynamic of America, where America’s been for a few years now, but the core of the political parties seem to believe the only way forward is to go back and rebuild the bureaucracy lost to trump.

About Biden’s corruption, he’s the standard Washington insider who’s cashes in using their family, for what it’s worth Obama tried to stop both Biden and Hillary from doing this kind of political graft. Obama’s terms for allowing Hillary be Secretary of State what is they cut out the shenanigans of the Clinton foundation, Biden and others were also supposed to not have similar conflicts of interest. They didn’t or thought they curbed it enough they wouldn’t be noticed. For what it’s worth I didn’t see any of this corruption in Obama or the immediate WBush families. Not looking to argue about it, just from what little I’ve read these families didn’t allow the children or close ties to cash in the way senators, congressmen, ex generals and other political functionaries have. If there’s stories I missed I’ll concede the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Mexican Staring Frog
Lieutenant
Diamonds Are Forever
The Spy Who Loved Me
GoldenEye
Midnight Cowboy
Rocky
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Hell or High Water

Kristatos wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:51 am
True. The GOP demonized the Clintons for nearly 30 years by this point that her reputation among them is practically mythical.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Clever Twitter thread by a Kenyan cartoonist, reporting on the US election the same way that the Western media reports on Africa:

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

I'm predicting a Donald Trump win.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I've been saying for some time that I think he's going to win again, though it is hard to be sure, as the polls were a bit all over the place. Sadly, I can confidently predict that my preferred choice of candidate, Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party, won't be the next president