Oh-bama

A place for friendly discussions of politics in general.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: Oh-bama

Post by bjmdds »

"One of the penalties of not participating in politics is that you will be governed by your inferiors." - Plato.......Very interesting...Note this:

A US State with zero Republicans in office - The State of Illinois.

Think about this:

Some interesting data on the 'state' of Illinois... There are more people

on welfare in Illinois than there are people working. Chicago pays the

highest wages to teachers than anywhere else in the U.S. averaging $110,000/year. Their pensions average 80-90% of their income. Wow,

are Illinois and Chicago great or what? This helps to explain the incompetence of this administration: only 8% of them have ever worked in private business!

That's right! Only eight percent -- the least, by far, of the last 19 presidents! And these people are trying to tell our big Corporations how to run their business?

How can the president of a major nation and society, the one with the most successful economic system in world history, stand and talk about business when he's never worked for one? Or about jobs when he has never really had one? And when it's the same for 92% of his senior staff and closest advisers?

They've spent most of their time in academia, Government and/or non-profit jobs or as "community organizers." They should have been in an employment line.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:Chicago pays the
highest wages to teachers than anywhere else in the U.S. averaging $110,000/year. Their pensions average 80-90% of their income. Wow, are Illinois and Chicago great or what?
I'd say so. But being married to a teacher, I'm biased.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Obama health care promise named 'Lie of the Year'
Fact-checking organization Politifact has named their “Lie of the Year,” and it’s bad news for the White House and the Affordable Care Act.
President Barack Obama’s often-repeated assertion that “If you like your health care plan, you can keep it,” won the ignominious honor for 2013, the group announced.
In a blog post, Politifact– which is affiliated with the Tampa Bay Times – said Obama’s promise was “impossible to keep” and has resulted in a “real hit to his credibility.”
“So this fall, as cancellation letters were going out to approximately 4 million Americans, the public realized Obama’s breezy assurances were wrong,” editor Angie Drobnic Holan wrote. “Boiling down the complicated health care law to a soundbite proved treacherous, even for its promoter-in-chief. Obama and his team made matters worse, suggesting they had been misunderstood all along.”
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

The Washington Post adds, however, that Gates says both Clinton and Obama admitted to basing their opposition to the 2007 "surge" in Iraq in part on political considerations.
"Hillary told the president that her opposition to the [2007] surge in Iraq had been political because she was facing him in the Iowa primary. . . . The president conceded vaguely that opposition to the Iraq surge had been political. To hear the two of them making these admissions, and in front of me, was as surprising as it was dismaying," Gates writes, according to the Post.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

In this New Year, 2014, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union
> address will occur in the same week.
>
> This is an ironic juxtaposition of events. One involves a meaningless ritual
> in which we look to an insignificant creature of little intelligence for
> prognostication.
>
>
>
> The other involves a groundhog.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Have we started the 2016 election thread yet? :shock:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

President Obama’s State of the Union Address Draws 33.3 Million; Lowest in 14 Years (Since 2000)
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.

........Abraham Lincoln
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

This JOb Lock talking point are the dems nuts?

Beyond all the spin Obamacare is so unfordable people will work less to keep a subsidy? :shock: Sure some people will be glad to make use of this for my part I don't begrudge anyone a tool to make life a little better for themselves and family, its all not going to be this way a hell of a lot of people are going to be denied the opportunity to work the hours they want because of Obamacare that is a huge impact on day to day lives. So maybe a small percentage think wow with subsidies I don't need a second job,, in which case I ask how much was heathcare before it you needed a second job? and how much did Obamacare raise the rates so made it necessary to get a subsidy to buy it?

What I think is the real story is Obamacare is so messed it it has raised the rates for everybody and the sticker shock hit and then the bad report about many job/job hours will be lost and this is the best spin the dems could come up with. the repubs and their indignation are worse IMO mainly because they miss the point the way I see it OBamacare is taking away freedom of americans to pursue jobs/hours they desire by adding a tone of new restrictions and the over all high cost of teh Obama care approved plans.

And the repubs are siting in their mansions complaining about how the dems are making a nation of welfare addicts, in a way i agree being self sufficient is the best way.
but I've seen the world busting to make a living at minimum wage and living pay check to pay check even making better money than minimum, nobody that isn't connect to political or corporate powers lands a 6 figure job the first day out of school like most of these pundits did. IMO the answer isn't raising minimum wage I serious don't think it helps. As a nation we seriously need to get the cost of living back down to a point where a young couple can afford an apartment and utilities. Teh repubs go on about collage age and old children moving home again, it not because of how they were raised its the cost of living away. Besides I'd be happy to have my kids near by all my life but then I always afraid of losing touch with them when the days comes and they leave us. in reality this ideal that children move away at 18 is a recent on historically families used to stay together/ close by for survival

So screw the RNC and DNC the two parties have failed us and are too afraid to fix the problems because they might lose political power next election cycle.

Oh on another subject if they make it mandatory all illegal immigrates must be Obama Idea of minimum wage you'll see all attempts at a new bill halted, big business who want teh cheap labor will lose interest if they have to pay a fair price for it.
I'm not "anti immigrant" may ancestors came here when it was simple to become citizens we've know alot of good folks who were trying to come here legally and put through the ringer lets fix it and have all the people who are legally trying to get here fast tracked and others who get here other wise put in a system to become legal but not at the cost of the good people who filled in all the forms and stood in line.

In the real world our immigration policy is very lax, the idea we are harsh is something we as a nation can believe because we think we are the greatest and want to share the wealth with our fellow man, but try to immigrate to Mexico or Canada and see what's what. I also hate using people like a lave labor force as the business who "hire" these people who have little other choice.

Sorry to go on again
End of rant.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Dr. No, we require a 10 year moratorium on LEGAL immigration :!: The morons just raised the debt ceiling again, to $19 trillion from 17.3 trillion. We cannot afford those legally living here now so how can we accept new immigrants and ply them with goodies up front when we are broke? I cannot stand EITHER party now. There is no backbone and no common sense. Obama's-care? My health insurance premium will rise 33% in 2014 and my "deductible" will go to $6350.00 BEFORE ANY benefits kick in :!: :!: 82% of the national sign ups have a non-funded subsidy and their coverage will not be used with the huge deductibles. If they cannot afford health insurance, how can they afford the deductible costs? The deductibles are more than a year's premiums used to be :!: :!: 850,000 have signed on for Medicaid which is being kept hush hush. The Republicans must take back the Senate, as much as I don't trust them either, and show the annointed dolt his time is over, do nothing, and wait out 2016. If Hillary wins, and does not repeal this idiotic law, we will be $25 trillion in debt by 2020 :!:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

WASHINGTON — For months, the Obama administration has heralded the low premiums of medical insurance policies on sale in the insurance exchanges created by the new health law. But as consumers dig into the details, they are finding that the deductibles and other out-of-pocket costs are often much higher than what is typical in employer-sponsored health plans.

Until now, it was almost impossible for people using the federal health care website to see the deductible amounts, which consumers pay before coverage kicks in. But federal officials finally relented last week and added a “window shopping” feature that displays data on deductibles.

For policies offered in the federal exchange, as in many states, the annual deductible often tops $5,000 for an individual and $10,000 for a couple.

Insurers devised the new policies on the assumption that consumers would pick a plan based mainly on price, as reflected in the premium. But insurance plans with lower premiums generally have higher deductibles.In El Paso, Tex., for example, for a husband and wife both age 35, one of the cheapest plans on the federal exchange, offered by Blue Cross and Blue Shield, has a premium less than $300 a month, but the annual deductible is more than $12,000. For a 45-year-old couple seeking insurance on the federal exchange in Saginaw, Mich., a policy with a premium of $515 a month has a deductible of $10,000.

In Santa Cruz, Calif., where the exchange is run by the state, Robert Aaron, a self-employed 56-year-old engineer, said he was looking for a low-cost plan. The best one he could find had a premium of $488 a month. But the annual deductible was $5,000, and that, he said, “sounds really high.”
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Federal minimum wage for contract employees Obama was bragging about thing is next year when those contracts come up unless Obama gives teh contractors the extra money to pay it some people obama is bragging about helping will not be renewed.

Another way to say it is everyone working for those contractors also got a raise thats the way it works with hourly employees entry level pay goes up so does everybody. When I felt those bumps I loved the extra cash. small companies can absorb it better large ones will be firing people to keep expenses at the same rate.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

First Lady Michelle Obama said Thursday that young people need health insurance because they’re “knuckleheads,” as she touted Obamacare during her appearance on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

By Matt Patterson (Newsweek Columnist - Opinion Writer)

Years from now, historians may regard the 2008 election of Barack Obama as an inscrutable and disturbing phenomenon, the result of a baffling breed of mass hysteria akin perhaps to the witch craze of the Middle Ages. How, they will wonder, did a man so devoid of professional accomplishment beguile so many into thinking he could manage the world's largest economy, direct the world's most powerful military, execute the world's most consequential job?

Imagine a future historian examining Obama's pre-presidential life: ushered into and through the Ivy League, despite unremarkable grades and test scores along the way; a cushy non-job as a "community organizer;" a brief career as a state legislator devoid of legislative achievement (and in fact nearly devoid of his attention, less often did he vote "present"); and finally an unaccomplished single term in the United States Senate, the entirety of which was devoted to his presidential ambitions.

He left no academic legacy in academia, authored no signature legislation as a legislator. And then there is the matter of his troubling associations: the white-hating, America-loathing preacher who for decades served as Obama's "spiritual mentor;" a real-life, actual terrorist who served as Obama's colleague and political sponsor. It is easy to imagine a future historian looking at it all and asking: how on Earth was such a man elected president?

Not content to wait for history, the incomparable Norman Podhoretz addressed the question recently in the Wall Street Journal: To be sure, no white candidate who had close associations with an outspoken hater of America like Jeremiah Wright and an unrepentant terrorist like Bill Ayers, would have lasted a single day. But because Mr. Obama was black, and therefore entitled in the eyes of liberal Dom to have hung out with protesters against various American injustices, even if they were 'a bit' extreme, he was given a pass. Let that sink in: Obama was given a pass - held to a lower standard because of the color of his skin.

Podhoretz continues: And in any case, what did such ancient history matter when he was also so articulate and elegant and (as he himself had said) "non-threatening," all of which gave him a fighting chance to become the first black president and thereby to lay the curse of racism to rest?

Podhoretz puts his finger, I think, on the animating pulse of the Obama phenomenon - affirmative action. Not in the legal sense, of course. But certainly in the motivating sentiment behind all affirmative action laws and regulations, which are designed primarily to make white people, and especially white liberals, feel good about themselves.

Unfortunately, minorities often suffer so that whites can pat themselves on the back. Liberals routinely admit minorities to schools for which they are not qualified, yet take no responsibility for the inevitable poor performance and high drop-out rates which follow. Liberals don't care if these minority students fail; liberals aren't around to witness the emotional devastation and deflated self-esteem resulting from the racist policy that is affirmative action. Yes, racist. Holding someone to a separate standard merely because of the color of his skin - that's affirmative action in a nutshell, and if that isn't racism, then nothing is.

And that is what America did to Obama. True, Obama himself was never troubled by his lack of achievements, but why would he be? As many have noted, Obama was told he was good enough for Columbia despite undistinguished grades at Occidental; he was told he was good enough for the US Senate despite a mediocre record in Illinois; he was told he was good enough to be president despite no record at all in the Senate. All his life, every step of the way, Obama was told he was good enough for the next step, in spite of ample evidence to the contrary.

What could this breed if not the sort of empty narcissism on display every time Obama speaks? In 2008, many who agreed that he lacked executive qualifications nonetheless raved about Obama's oratory skills, intellect, and cool character. Those people - conservatives included - ought now to be deeply embarrassed.

The man thinks and speaks in the hoariest of clichés, and that's when he has his Teleprompters in front of him; when the prompter is absent he can barely think or speak at all. Not one original idea has ever issued from his mouth - it's all warmed-over Marxism of the kind that has failed over and over again for 100 years. (An example is his 2012 campaign speeches which are almost word for word his 2008 speeches)

And what about his character? Obama is constantly blaming anything and everything else for his troubles. Bush did it; it was bad luck; I inherited this mess. Remember, he wanted the job, campaigned for the task. It is embarrassing to see a president so willing to advertise his own powerless-ness, so comfortable with his own incompetence. (The other day he actually came out and said no one could have done anything to get our economy and country back on track). But really, what were we to expect? The man has never been responsible for anything, so how do we expect him to act responsibly?
In short: our president is a small-minded man, with neither the temperament nor the intellect to handle his job. When you understand that, and only when you understand that, will the current erosion of liberty and prosperity make sense. It could not have gone otherwise with such an impostor in the Oval Office.