Other elections 2012

A place for friendly discussions of politics in general.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Re: Other elections 2012

Post by carl stromberg »

Dr. No wrote:I saw a weird get out the vote ad from poland I think, it was about everyone voting so the EU parliament represents them. Is this a big deal in the EU?
The European Parliament is reasonably important. But not many people care and the turnout is about 40% - lower in many countries. Many people in each nation use it a protest vote - vote for a smaller party.
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

carl stromberg wrote:
Dr. No wrote:I saw a weird get out the vote ad from poland I think, it was about everyone voting so the EU parliament represents them. Is this a big deal in the EU?
The European Parliament is reasonably important. But not many people care and the turnout is about 40% - lower in many countries. Many people in each nation use it a protest vote - vote for a smaller party.
Yes, UKIP and the Greens scored major successes in Britain, but are unlikely to repeat that in national elections.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

carl stromberg wrote:
That must be it. It was a crazy ad truing to convince people it was important to get out the vote/vote or die. I was not familiar with how important this was.

Do the smaller parties have a chance? I'm sick of our two party system but no third party can break the glass ceiling. I know some places like Israel the third parties do get a voice.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Dr. No wrote:
carl stromberg wrote:
That must be it. It was a crazy ad truing to convince people it was important to get out the vote/vote or die. I was not familiar with how important this was.

Do the smaller parties have a chance? I'm sick of our two party system but no third party can break the glass ceiling. I know some places like Israel the third parties do get a voice.
All the smaller parties have a chance as the voting system is proportional representation and not first past the post as they have in the US and for the British Parliament. Here in the UK the UK Independence Party topped the poll even though they have no members of the British Paliament. Lots of protest parties - such as communist and Nazis got people elected; a Nazi was elected in Germany:

https://news.yahoo.com/germanys-first-f ... 25297.html
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

It's the European Parliament elections again in May. The UK is going to hold them as we have not left the EU yet.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... -30-16-17-

Nigel Farage's new Brexit party is leading the polls.

Bring back Bond!
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

It's the European Parliament elections today!

I still don't understand the D'Hondt voting system.

[video][/video]
Bring back Bond!