US Election 2012

A place for friendly discussions of politics in general.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Re: US Election 2008

Post by carl stromberg »

We need a new thread for the 2012 Presidential election: it's that time already. :D
Bring back Bond!
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Oh-bama vs. ?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:Oh-bama vs. ?
This Fox News poll shows Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee doing best against Obama, though it's probably best not to put too much weight on a single poll, especially this far out from an election.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
bjmdds

Re: US Election 2012

Post by bjmdds »

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is the candidate from my neighboring state a lot of Republicans want to run against Oh-No-bama. He is only one that beats the democrat in a recent poll 43-40. Palin will not get the nomination. I predict either Huckabee, Romney at the top of the ticket with Senator Thune or Governor Christie as the VP, even though Christie says he will wait until 2016 to run.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is the candidate from my neighboring state a lot of Republicans want to run against Oh-No-bama. He is only one that beats the democrat in a recent poll 43-40. Palin will not get the nomination. I predict either Huckabee, Romney at the top of the ticket with Senator Thune or Governor Christie as the VP, even though Christie says he will wait until 2016 to run.
I don't know that much about recent electoral history, but isn't it unusual for an unsuccessful candidate from a previous primary to go on to win their party's nomination in a subsequent election? If I'm right, then it probably won't be Huckabee or Romney. Don't know much about Christie, but then, the nominee probably won't really be on the radar just yet.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Did you know that at least 8 candidates have already declared? Wikipedia lists them here. All no-hopers, I'm sure, but it's nice to know some people are ahead of the curve!
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Kristatos wrote:
bjmdds wrote:New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is the candidate from my neighboring state a lot of Republicans want to run against Oh-No-bama. He is only one that beats the democrat in a recent poll 43-40. Palin will not get the nomination. I predict either Huckabee, Romney at the top of the ticket with Senator Thune or Governor Christie as the VP, even though Christie says he will wait until 2016 to run.
I don't know that much about recent electoral history, but isn't it unusual for an unsuccessful candidate from a previous primary to go on to win their party's nomination in a subsequent election? If I'm right, then it probably won't be Huckabee or Romney. Don't know much about Christie, but then, the nominee probably won't really be on the radar just yet.
1976 Reagan lost the primaries. In 1980 and 1984 he slaughtered his democratic opponents.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:1976 Reagan lost the primaries. In 1980 and 1984 he slaughtered his democratic opponents.
OK, I stand corrected.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Reagan began to criticize Ford openly starting in the summer of 1975, and formally launched his campaign in the autumn. At first it appeared as though Ford would easily win the GOP nomination. Defying expectations, Ford narrowly defeated Reagan in the New Hampshire primary, and then proceeded to beat Reagan in the Florida and Illinois primaries by comfortable margins. By the time of the North Carolina primary in March 1976, Reagan's campaign was nearly out of money, and it was widely believed that another defeat would force Reagan to quit the race. However, assisted by the powerful political organization of U.S. Senator Jesse Helms, Reagan upset Ford in North Carolina and then proceeded to win a string of impressive victories, including Texas, where he carried all twenty-four congressional districts and won all ninety-six delegates at stake in the state's first binding primary. Four other delegates chosen at the state convention went to Reagan and shut out U.S. Senator John G. Tower, who had named to manage the Ford campaign on the convention floor. Ford bounced back to win in his native Michigan, and from there the two candidates engaged in an increasingly bitter nip-and-tuck contest for delegates. By the time the Republican Convention opened in August 1976 the race for the nomination was still too close to call.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Donald Trump has ruled himself out of the running. The fact that his popularity plummeted to something like 8% after Obama released his long-form birth certificate probably persuaded him that it wasn't worth it.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Kristatos wrote:Donald Trump has ruled himself out of the running. The fact that his popularity plummeted to something like 8% after Obama released his long-form birth certificate probably persuaded him that it wasn't worth it.
Is Trump's toupee going to run?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote: Is Trump's toupee going to run?
Maybe if Trump had run as a Republican, his syrup could have run against him as an independent. Given a choice between Obama, Trump and the wig, I'd have voted for the wig.
Bond77

Post by Bond77 »

Kristatos wrote:Donald Trump has ruled himself out of the running. The fact that his popularity plummeted to something like 8% after Obama released his long-form birth certificate probably persuaded him that it wasn't worth it.
His poll numbers were still high, but he dropped to about third in many polls. The birther issue was seen by many as a victory for Trump because he forced Obama's hand. Trump could of found himself in second place in most polls after Huckabee got out, and after Gingrich's implosion. What I read was that Trump was serious, but the big name Republican operatives would not work for him. He had talked to the McLaughlin group, Tony Fabrizio (a big Republican pollster), and strategist Fran Wendelboe. They all turned him down.

What really hurt him was the "F-Bomb Speech", as it is now called, in Las Vegas. He lost the support of Governor Nikki Haley, a rising star in the Republican party, after that profanity laden speech.

Many have argued whether Trump was serious or not. Most believe he was not serious, and I can see why. He's done this act two times before. For me, my gut instinct was that it didn't start serious, but by February it started to get serious, and then it fizzled.

All in all, it's still a wide open field, and there are a few more people who might get in. It should make for an interesting thread :mrgreen:
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I'd vote for teh wig too if I had thsoe 3 to chose from. Trump did force Obama's hand, he is weak man any way so it is not a big accomlishment, where was the press who should have demanded this in 2007? Hold Obama's hand and walking him to the white house. Trump did show he could get something from Obama for nothing, like what Obama just did to the Jews. Maybe trump can get us the UBL pics. Boy did obama misread that, he thought he'd the the conquering hero witha 20 point bounce until 2014, I don't know all that many of us wanted him dead, I'd like him to live in a 6x4 cell when he wasn't being waterboarded.

Obama is a nice man he just wasn't ready to fill the big chair. Now we have to fill the job choosing from a line up of GOP light weights, only comfort is they have to be better than obama.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

He is NOT such a nice man. Don't let the liberal media fool you in their portrayal. He is like a child mentally and he goes after anyone who challenges him on anything. He lies to different groups when he meets with them. His wife is no fan of this country either, yet the media and that slob Oh-pra kiss her rear as if she is such a nice person. Unlock her law student writings and let us see what she REALLY thinks of the rest of us. Oh-bama's going down in 2012. Issues will be the reason. NY and Calfornia are dead for the Republicans. They need Texas, Ohio, Pennsylvania,( maybe New Jersey too), Florida and Missouri to win in 2012. It's that simple.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote: Boy did obama misread that, he thought he'd the the conquering hero witha 20 point bounce until 2014, I don't know all that many of us wanted him dead, I'd like him to live in a 6x4 cell when he wasn't being waterboarded.
It's not 20 points, but the latest polls do show a "Bin Laden bounce", sad to say. Obama's approval ratings are over the magic 50% mark for the first time in a while.
Bond77

Post by Bond77 »

Kristatos wrote:
Dr. No wrote: Boy did obama misread that, he thought he'd the the conquering hero witha 20 point bounce until 2014, I don't know all that many of us wanted him dead, I'd like him to live in a 6x4 cell when he wasn't being waterboarded.
It's not 20 points, but the latest polls do show a "Bin Laden bounce", sad to say. Obama's approval ratings are over the magic 50% mark for the first time in a while.
The polls are interesting. I know you are a fan of RCP, so am I. I discount the AP poll because they sampled Democrats at a 2:1 margin over GOP. I still get a 51% approval rating from averaging out the 7 other polls. Interesting to note that the Fox News poll has him at 55%.

He is going to have to work hard to keep that poll above 50%.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Polling near 30% on economy. Over 50% overall is wishful thinking once Bin Laden death is past tense in the collective memory banks. Israel will hate the chump. He thinks he can appease the Muslims by going after Israel now. The guy is clueless. Pelosi got 20% of the health care waivers from Oh-bama and she supported the bill!!!!!!!! Need I say more? Liberalism is a sick, sick, mental disorder. These morons worry about the criminals that rape women, and why they do it, not the victims. They worry about how we treat animals that want to kill us all in the war on terror. They want to tax and tax and tax, yet they pour their money into offshore tax shelters to avoid paying taxes. Disgusting lot all of them. :evil:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:They want to tax and tax and tax, yet they pour their money into offshore tax shelters to avoid paying taxes. Disgusting lot all of them. :evil:
Actually, I think you'll find that the wealthy elites who pour their money into offshore tax shelters are the ones that scream loudest about how overtaxed they are (and vote Republican).
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

The Kennedy clan shoveled their dough supposedly to outside of the USA accounts so there are no generational inheritance taxes to pay. Typical elite liberals. Let Hollywood people give all of their income to the government. Let Al Gore ride horseback before he tells me not to fly a plane or drive a car while he flies around in his private carbon footprint producing personal jets.