US Election 2012

A place for friendly discussions of politics in general.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: US Election 2012

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:Wrong here Kris. If his health care monstrosity is allowed to go into effect in 2014 there will be chaos here financially as the new IRS agents go after citizen's bank accounts if they do not comply with the O's directive.
Well, the Presidential race may be too close to call, but it seems all but certain that the GOP will retain the House, and quite possible that they will retake the Senate as well. Even if Obama wins, he won't be able to get anything past Congress, just as he hasn't for the last two years.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Kristatos wrote:
bjmdds wrote:Wrong here Kris. If his health care monstrosity is allowed to go into effect in 2014 there will be chaos here financially as the new IRS agents go after citizen's bank accounts if they do not comply with the O's directive.
Well, the Presidential race may be too close to call, but it seems all but certain that the GOP will retain the House, and quite possible that they will retake the Senate as well. Even if Obama wins, he won't be able to get anything past Congress, just as he hasn't for the last two years.
Wont matter much, Obama will just abuse executive orders as he has been doing. If he loses, Romney will have that same power because Obama expanded it.

The two parties stopped representing we the people a long time ago and represent the 10% of their party. The ideologues. We are stuck hoping one wing or the other has a melt down and moderates the laws coming our way.

If Obama loses first thing I wont miss is Obama's stooges, Axelrod looks and acts like a used vacuum cleaner salesman. Obama political machine is a little too on the job all the time, I thought Bush was bad meaning good at manipulation the Obama White house is shameless. A little scary to think of what he do with four more years with no checks on his authority, he comfortable using executive order to do whatever. First President in my lifetime who is comfortable using the might of the federal government to get his way. Of the 20th century Woodrow Wilson, FDR, LBJ, were the last to wield it with success, Nixon tired but was dethroned. Kind of telling Bob Woodward doesn't like Obama, stabbed him in the back at least 3 times since his new book came out.

What I think the election will come down to is Obama is not a seasoned politician, he is skilled at using the political system to get what he wants to a degree but not skilled at working with people, even with the same political ideology as himself. There is no way a Bill Clinton would be caught in a situation like this, a politician like Clinton can read people and evolve to the changing mood of the country. Obama thinks all he has to do is get up and make a speech, he thinks he is changing our minds by saying "everybody knows" or "everybody agrees".

Biggest difference for me is for the first time in my adult life I am excited to go out and vote tomorrow. A little nervous about the results but me and my wife are eager to go "pull the lever". We were talking about it going over our sample ballots and half the people we will be voting for are democrats, but that's primarily on the local level when it comes to the higher (federal) offices we both feel let down by the democrats who ran wild last time the got the chance abusing our trust.

We're no fools we know next time we are going to have to vote to the republicans out if they win tomorrow, but maybe the next iteration of democrats will be a little wiser, a little better than the ones we got this time.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote: Biggest difference for me is for the first time in my adult life I am excited to go out and vote tomorrow. A little nervous about the results but me and my wife are eager to go "pull the lever". We were talking about it going over our sample ballots and half the people we will be voting for are democrats, but that's primarily on the local level when it comes to the higher (federal) offices we both feel let down by the democrats who ran wild last time the got the chance abusing our trust.

We're no fools we know next time we are going to have to vote to the republicans out if they win tomorrow, but maybe the next iteration of democrats will be a little wiser, a little better than the ones we got this time.
I hear there are long lines at polling booths, so I hope the weather is nice for you. I'd hate to think of people having to stand for hours in the rain. I don't know if that is everywhere, though, or just some states.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Kristatos wrote:
Dr. No wrote: Biggest difference for me is for the first time in my adult life I am excited to go out and vote tomorrow. A little nervous about the results but me and my wife are eager to go "pull the lever". We were talking about it going over our sample ballots and half the people we will be voting for are democrats, but that's primarily on the local level when it comes to the higher (federal) offices we both feel let down by the democrats who ran wild last time the got the chance abusing our trust.

I hear there are long lines at polling booths, so I hope the weather is nice for you. I'd hate to think of people having to stand for hours in the rain. I don't know if that is everywhere, though, or just some states.
40% chance of rain. We are going first thing but there will probably be a line.

I miss taking the kids with us to vote we made a big deal of showing them how the system works. Of course it's not the same as the machines keep evolving when we were kids they had proper voting booths.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote: I miss taking the kids with us to vote we made a big deal of showing them how the system works. Of course it's not the same as the machines keep evolving when we were kids they had proper voting booths.
We're very low-tech here in the UK, marking an X with a pencil on a piece of paper and then putting it into a box. I don't see any great clamour for change though. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've never heard of anyone here wanting a switch to the American system, with its hanging chads and 5-hour waits.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

yep and the sad part is we got those lines and problems with a very few voting. The participation rate we get for voting depresses me, we get like 39% on a good year. On the other hand maybe we are better off if those who don't care enough to get off the couch and vote stay home.

I hate to think of all the money wasted updating the hardware we use here, I hear someplaces are using older machines other states got ride of. :shock:
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Kristatos wrote:
Dr. No wrote: I miss taking the kids with us to vote we made a big deal of showing them how the system works. Of course it's not the same as the machines keep evolving when we were kids they had proper voting booths.
We're very low-tech here in the UK, marking an X with a pencil on a piece of paper and then putting it into a box. I don't see any great clamour for change though. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've never heard of anyone here wanting a switch to the American system, with its hanging chads and 5-hour waits.
I vote at a youth centre and I'm normally the only one in there. I don't suppose many people will vote in the UK local Sheriff elections next week!

Every pundit on UK tv is saying that Obama will win?
Bring back Bond!
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

carl stromberg wrote:
Kristatos wrote:
I vote at a youth centre and I'm normally the only one in there. I don't suppose many people will vote in the UK local Sheriff elections next week!

Every pundit on UK tv is saying that Obama will win?
He does well in in Kenya (where he was born ;) ), Europe, China, Russia and Cuba. Hell his reset button has Russian attack subs off our coast!

It feels like Romney has momentum but there is no question he is winning our state. Pollesters who supposedly know what they are doing are saying he'll win Florida, Virgina, and North Carolina, with those states he can write his own ticket almost.
Talking to family in Florida they say they see more Romney signs but that could be just where they live.

Obama's people are talking like the UK news guys they say he will sweep the contested swing states no problem, I don't know it feels too close to me. Maybe their arrogance is for the troops getting out the vote, I don't feel the momentum Obama had last time, in fact for the first time it feels like republican are energized and not just a few behind Sarah Palin.

Basically its a toss up but I expect the most energized base to pull it out for their candidate, to me that feels like the Mormon, but maybe the Kenyan will pull out a upset ;)
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

An incumbent does not pull out an upset. An incumbent is favored to win. If they lose, they are upset. Go Mitt. http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.actio ... 4981738253
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I'm starting to think all the pundits calling it for Obama are part of some conspiracy to energise the Romney voters. Well, not really, but it does sound a little overconfident, to say the least. Why bother having elections, why not just let pollsters and pundits choose the president?
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

To hell with ALL the pollsters and pundits......the ONLY poll that counts and the ONLY opinion that counts is on election day..........glory, glory, hallelooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooyah :!:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Ohio's Gannett reported earlier today that Mitt Romney leads Barack Obama by 92,000 in early voting…and then Gannett pulled the link.

Before the link went down, Gannett reported that Mitt Romney had 697,143 to Obama’s 605,546. The data was time-stamped at 2:03 am, so it included only early voting totals. Early Voting up 14% in 2008 McCain counties, down in Obama counties in Ohio.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Time it count the chads in FLA.

maybe :shock: VA, NC, OH :shock: too
............ :007:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

It's all over in the USA and with Bond.
katied

Post by katied »

Excuse my French but we are so f%@ed. :cuss:
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

s**t

It looks like it comes down to 100 thousand votes! holy hell!! Romney wining the popular vote shocks me.

We need the republicans in the house to actually grow a spine and stop the crazy spending, and then we need the courts to put a check on the executive orders.

Obama doesn't have a mandate any more if anything he needs to do a Clinton and change the way he governs which isn't going to happen because he lives in a bubble.

Maybe now the media will take a look at Libya.
Last edited by Dr. No on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I think it is going to be morning before we have 100% certainly Romney lost, Ohio is with in 10 thousand most of the states are razor close absentee ballots could make difference, I don't for a moment believe it will.

We are so screwed.
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Obama wins. This must be a tough day for BJ.