Obama taken for a prankster

A place for friendly discussions of politics in general.
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Obama taken for a prankster

Post by Goldeneye »

AP news
Ros-Lehtinen hangs up on Obama. Twice.

Is Ileana Ros-Lehtinen a little paranoid?

Maybe.

On Wednesday, the Republican congresswoman got a call from President-elect Barack Obama, didn't believe it was him, and hung up on him. Twice.

According to Ros-Lehtinen's flack Alex Cruz, the congresswoman received the call on her cell phone from a Chicago-based number and an aide informed her that Obama wanted to speak to her. When Obama introduced himself, Ros-Lehtinen cut him off and said, "I'm sorry but I think this is a joke from one of the South Florida radio stations known for these pranks." Then she hung up.

Moments later, Obama tried again, this time through his soon-to-be chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel.

"Ileana, I cannot believe you hung up on the President-Elect," Emanuel said. And then--yes, you know what's coming--she hung up on Emanuel saying she "didn't believe the call was legitimate."

A short time later, Ros-Lehtinen received an urgent call from Rep. Howard Berman (D-Calif.), the chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee, who informed her that she indeed hung up on Obama.

So, Obama tried again and this time he was successful. (Phew!)
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Obama taken for a prankster

Post by Kristatos »

I can't blame her for being suspicious, after Sarah Palin getting caught out by those two Canadian DJs. But Palin was too dim to spot obvious giveaways like references to "my American advisor Johnny Hallyday". Usually prank callers put things like that in, so I think the Congresswoman should have taken the call but been on the lookout for those sorts of clues.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I would have assumed it was a prank too. It would be like Craig calling ME to ask my advice on something.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
retrokitty
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, DN, FRWL, TB, CR
Favorite Movies: Withnail & I, Breakfast at Tiffany's

Post by retrokitty »

That was really dumb. Seriously, take the call, get some information and call them back. Or tell the rep to tell him that she will call back to ensure it's not a prank. The president would understand that. But to hang up is rude. And if even if it was a prank, she would come across humourless and not very clever.
Trust Me
New Recruit
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball!

Post by Trust Me »

True, Kits, but having said that, how many people expect a call from Obama?
can be found blogging at http://www.trusttommy.com.

Twitters at http://www.twitter.com/TrustTommy
katied

Post by katied »

On a related note, did anyone see Jamie Foxx doing his impression of Obama on one of the preinauguration specials?It was spot on :P