US Election 2008: Who Will Win?

A place for friendly discussions of politics in general.

Who Do You Think Will Win US Presidential Election?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:28 am

Barack Obama
71%
John McCain
29%

Total votes: 7

carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Re: US Election 2008: Who Will Win?

Post by carl stromberg »

I think Obama ought to nationalise dentistry, and introduce a salary cap for dentists. :twisted:
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

carl stromberg wrote:I think Obama ought to nationalise dentistry, and introduce a salary cap for dentists. :twisted:
Is it safe?
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Skywalker
Favorite Bond Movie: Live and Let Die
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Quantum of Solace.......Hmmm
Favorite Movies: Batman Begins
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens
Location: On the side of truth and honesty. No room for sheep - just shepherds.

Post by Skywalker »

Watched the results on TV here in the UK. I found the election quite interesting, especially the build up with the 2 candidates facing off against each other. I personally felt McCain was past it whilst Obama looked fresh and vibrant. McCain showed a touch a class in his acceptance speech so credit where it is due.

Obama needs to surround himself with the best advisors possible. His lack of experience should not be a hinderence so long as he takes good advice. He reminds of Blair in the way he conducts himself on stage and he does have that 'statesman' like presence.
“I'd like to thank the Royal Marines for bringing me in like that and scaring the s--- out of me,” Bond Hardman Daniel Craig.
katied

Post by katied »

My parents said that they got chills when he made his speech the night he won.

They are both old enough to remember segregation, and a time when black people were margianlized .My dad lived in the South(Virginia)in the 50's and he remembers seeing separate drinking fountains for black people.It was a different time.(and yes,they both voted for Obama!) :up:
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

carl stromberg wrote:I think Obama ought to nationalise dentistry, and introduce a salary cap for dentists. :twisted:
Why? :shock:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Kristatos wrote:
Is it safe?
Yes, it's very safe. :lol:
katied

Post by katied »

LOL because I get the reference. I'm sure dentists hate that movie..it's one of the reasons a LOT of people don't like going to the dentist(no offense!)
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Come to think of it, Zell was a better villain than Elvis in TBM.
katied

Post by katied »

I laugh when I see a pic of Elvis(from QOS)- obviously EON don't see the comedy in the fact that he looks exactly like Lurch from The Addams Family :P :P
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

bjmdds wrote:
It was a gag aimed at you - a free marketeer dentist. If you are not a free marketeer dentist, then the gag does not work! :lol:
Bring back Bond!
Skywalker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens

Post by Skywalker »

carl stromberg wrote:
bjmdds wrote:
It was a gag aimed at you - a free marketeer dentist. If you are not a free marketeer dentist, then the gag does not work! :lol:
I'm pleased you clarified that one. :lol:
“I'd like to thank the Royal Marines for bringing me in like that and scaring the s--- out of me,” Bond Hardman Daniel Craig.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

When will Skywalker see TBM?
Skywalker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens

Post by Skywalker »

bjmdds wrote:When will Skywalker see TBM?
Maybe next week.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Take your time. I might wait a month, unless Moneypenny tells me she was enthralled by this film.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Well wiht all the economy is doing, some of it Obama related uncertainty, I better get my tax rebate and cut he promised.

Why the hell are we considering bailing out the big 3 auto manufactures?
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Oh-Bama promised CHANGE. So far, 31 out of 47 appointments are Clinton stooges from his administration and now he wants an Attorney General who pardoned Mark Rich with Big Bill Clinton and 16 FALN terrorists as well. Real change? He also said he was against gay marriage, yet, after Prop 8 failed in 'Caleyforneea', he now wants it overturned. In addition, he had television ads running in Pennsylvania basically stating he was PRO-gun! :shock: Who is this guy? Just wait and see. He wants to close Guantanemo Bay, bring those 255 wonderful prisoners here so the ACLU can represent them, and stop torturing those who would plot to kill us, yet, he does not define what torture is. Change from Bush: Absolutely;however, change to this way of thinking? Oh-Bama will only embolden these terrorists overseas for he is a closet pacifist and that is ONE thing Bush was not. It's no joke, for those of you who voted for change:watch what you just wished for, for you are about to get it! :x
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I am disappointed by how many recycled Clinton people he was, just as I was disappointed by the Bush Jr recycle program. I had hopes of Barack breaking the old party ties and doing something for real.

He need to be d**n careful on Iraq, we won that don't screw it up! And don't leave in way to dishonor the sacrifices there
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
oscartheman
Agent

Post by oscartheman »

Looks like the Clinton gang is back. If you wanted change shoulda voted for McCain.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/billy-kim ... 45788.html
Billy Kimball

Posted November 23, 2008 | 02:06 AM (EST)

Obama Team Mulls Role for Miss Lewinsky in New Administration

President-Elect Barack Obama's transition team is reported to be deeply divided over whether to offer a post to Monica Lewinsky, the former White House Intern whose intimate relationship with President Bill Clinton led to his impeachment.

Until now, Lewinsky was one of the few high-profile figures from the Clinton Presidency who had not been recruited for the incoming Obama team. Mr. Clinton's brother Roger is another, though on Friday there were rumors he would be named ambassador to Spain.

One group, which includes David Axelrod, Mr. Obama's campaign manager who has been named his senior advisor, favors the move to balance the influence of the Clinton-era policy people by adding someone with a different perspective.

A second faction led by Mr. Obama's Chief-of Staff, Rahm Emanuel, is bitterly opposed believing that a Lewinsky appointment would needlessly antagonize the Clintons and their supporters. Before being elected to Congress, Mr. Emanuel served as a senior advisor to President Clinton.

Former South Dakota Senator Tom Daschle, who is expected to be nominated as Secretary of Health and Human Services, responded to a reporter who asked about the Lewinsky rumors by pretending to receive a cell phone call. When the reporter took the phone from him and closed it while making a "we both know what you're doing" facial expression, Daschle said that appointing Lewinsky would be "like rubbing salt in the wounds of Senator Clinton at a time when we're supposed to be in a healing process." He added that Miss Lewinsky's presence in the White House would be "a huge distraction."

But New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson, who broke with the Clintons over his endorsement of Mr. Obama, said that Lewinsky was "a fresh face" with "a lot to offer." Richardson lost the post of Secretary of State to Senator Clinton and is now Mr. Obama's choice for the far less prestigious job of Secretary of Commerce. "The Obama adminstration should be focused on recruiting the best people to help us address the challenges of the future and not get bogged down in past history," he said.

The Clintons themselves have not commented on the possibility of a Lewinsky appointment though people close to her have said that Sen. Clinton was shocked and appalled by the idea. "It's a non-starter for her," said Philippe Raines, a longtime aide to Sen. Clinton. "She doesn't want to run into Monica in the West Wing ladies' room," he added.

However, Justin Cooper, who edited Mr. Clinton's autobiography, My Life, and has remained close to the former president, said that Mr. Clinton was cautiously supportive of the prospect. "He's always had great admiration for Monica's abilities," Cooper said. "I think he's just concerned that she might get in over her head if she were given a job as a political move."

Since the scandal, in addition to her status as a pop culture icon of sorts, Lewinsky has had a brief career as a handbag designer and then attended the London School of Economics where she received a master's degree in Social Psychology. Her thesis was titled "In Search of the Impartial Juror: An Exploration of the Third Person Effect and Pre-Trial Publicity."

No decision has been reached as to exactly what sort of job Lewinsky might be offered. "With her background, I could imagine her doing something on either the jurisprudence side at the Department of Justice or on the handbag side, at either the Department of Commerce or the Department of Agriculture," said Deborah Kaye, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution who studies the Executive Branch.

Monica Lewinsky was not available for comment. Through her attorney, William Ginsburg, she released a statement, which read, in part, "I am honored and humbled by the opportunity to serve my country again at this crucial juncture in our history."