US Election 2008

A place for friendly discussions of politics in general.

Your Choice For US President

Poll ended at Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:53 pm

Barack Obama
44%
John McCain
33%
Ralph Nader
11%
Other
11%

Total votes: 9

Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Re: US Election 2008

Post by Dr. No »

Plenty of people don't bother to vote. Sad very sad.

The biggest myth out there is the tea party is a Republican thing, the Dems can't get past the republicans and see their own party members and independent upset by the government action and spending happening for the last 10 years. A guy I know a life long democrat talking 30 years or mare is a teaparty guy.

The healthcare plan is a crooked deal as anything, we are going to lose our coverage in 2 maybe 3 years then we have to go for the gov option whatever that maybe, but we also have to find new drs becuase ours do not like/take Medicare and Medicaid, takes them a year or more to get paid back and sometime they get their rates cut with no warning. as a result they are not going to take those kind of services on any more.

I agree the Republicans have learned nothing in teh last 2 years but they haven't been in charge, you said something about them keeping bill back and watering things down, they haven't been able to do a thing since Obama was sworn in .

Be back in a few minutes the kids need me
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Lost my train of thought :?

My feeling is people are upset with the Obama Admin for various reasons, mainly the goverment waste. How many billion did we spend? 300 million live here, how a bout a little something back for the tax payers and the family keeping up their bills and mortgages, Every American citizen could be made a billionare cheaper than all this stimulus spending. Where did all the money go? it hass not made it way in to the economy so the average american could tell. I don't know where it went but it was wasted on teh bloated bureaucracy on teh state and federal level .

I can't wait for Obama to be gone, I started out liking him. I thought he was littel inexperienced nobody had a clue of how unprepared he was. Guess the first warning was when he called up all the old Clinton people to give them jobs.

Biggest thing that bothers me is he sues Arizona and he is drafting a executive order to grant amnesty . that son of a bitch! :cuss:
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote: The biggest myth out there is the tea party is a Republican thing, the Dems can't get past the republicans and see their own party members and independent upset by the government action and spending happening for the last 10 years. A guy I know a life long democrat talking 30 years or mare is a teaparty guy.
Well, the Republican Party is likely to be the chief beneficiary of the Tea Party movement, so it's not an entirely unfair assessment. That's the trouble, the Democrats deserve to lose but the Republicans don't deserve to win. But as long as there are only two parties, both equally in hock to Wall Street and the Pentagon, it scarcely matters which of them is in power at any given time.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

I HATED Bush for involving us in Iraq and staying way too long in Afghanistan and doing NOTHING about illegals flooding into this country because his brother Jeb married a South American woman. 911 happened under his watch as well and NO explanation as to WHY the signals were missed. Clinton was a bum, period. He did nothing when America was attacked worldwide several times and took credit for the Republican's work in Congress from 1994-2000, when the House went Republican for the first time in 40 years. In 2006, Pelosi stalled all Bush agendas when the Dems took over. In 2005 the Republicans warned Congress about the subprime mess and Franks, Schumer, Meeks, and crooked Maxine Waters laughed at them. Bottom line with Oh-bama: 1)repeal his health care which is nothing more than an expanse for Medicaid which cannot be afforded by the states. 2) Make Arizona's immigration law the law of the land and condemn Oh-bama for not going after sanctuary cities. 3) Make tax cuts and also spending cuts to ALL free goodies. 47%-36% people will vote Republican; 58%-37% people think Oh-bama cannot handle the economy. He's DONE.....he's a loser.....he LIES..... :fight:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Scary article here about the war on America's middle class - a war in which Republicans and Democrats are both on the same side (ie not yours), however much they try to pretend otherwise.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Gahhh Kagan! What a hypocrite! The same kind of Idiot George W Bush would have nominated. Thing is she polled lower than the unqualified gal Bush wanted before he withdrew her name.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote:Gahhh Kagan! What a hypocrite! The same kind of Idiot George W Bush would have nominated. Thing is she polled lower than the unqualified gal Bush wanted before he withdrew her name.
I've long tuned out any stories regarding Supreme Court nominations. The identikit outrage is always the same whoever gets nominated.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Kristatos wrote:
Dr. No wrote:Gahhh Kagan! What a hypocrite! The same kind of Idiot George W Bush would have nominated. Thing is she polled lower than the unqualified gal Bush wanted before he withdrew her name.
I've long tuned out any stories regarding Supreme Court nominations. The identikit outrage is always the same whoever gets nominated.
NO she is a hypocrite because she had criticized how the supreme court interviews were conducted and she said they should be more cutting and press harder. when she get nominated she clams up all the people she has worked for hide her papers.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

The thing that has me upset is the economy. On the ride home there were two interesting pieces of news, on e that we are actually in a depression not a recession. It can be argued but apparently there are some economists saying forget double dip we never got out of it. The false hope is because that is what people want to see, following the same pattern in 1929-1933 depression (recession into a great depression).

Now there is a guy claiming the stock market will slide in the next 2 and 1/2 years to the 5000 mark. Which meansall of our saving and retirment will be lost about the same time Obama puts us on medicare 2 years from now when we lose of coverage at work. Doom and gloom but I don't see the summer of recovery we were promised.

I hope all of this is over speculation, the cheerful rose colored reports with little to no evidence make me think there is something to this.

enough venting for now.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote:The thing that has me upset is the economy. On the ride home there were two interesting pieces of news, on e that we are actually in a depression not a recession. It can be argued but apparently there are some economists saying forget double dip we never got out of it. The false hope is because that is what people want to see, following the same pattern in 1929-1933 depression (recession into a great depression).

Now there is a guy claiming the stock market will slide in the next 2 and 1/2 years to the 5000 mark. Which meansall of our saving and retirment will be lost about the same time Obama puts us on medicare 2 years from now when we lose of coverage at work. Doom and gloom but I don't see the summer of recovery we were promised.

I hope all of this is over speculation, the cheerful rose colored reports with little to no evidence make me think there is something to this.

enough venting for now.
We're in the same boat here in Britain. And, just like in the US, the government's first priority is protecting the bankster scum who got us into this mess from having to suffer any of the consequences. The poor can go to hell :cuss:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

ALL lobbyists should be BANNED from ANY contact of ANY elected officials. Just like Teldar Paper in Wall Street, "you change the people and nothing changes", said Gordon Gekko. 536 people in the Congress and the White house do NOT represent what the other 300+ million of us want here. :fight:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:ALL lobbyists should be BANNED from ANY contact of ANY elected officials.
Yes, and there should be a limit on the size of campaign contributions, aka legalized bribes.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Its not just the money, lobbyist, the parties are a big part of the problem. The biggest. When we elect someone to the senate they stop representing us and start working for their parties goals.

I'd say get all money out of politics and have federal financing for all candidates for president, and a limited number of free ads each election. States could either compensate candidates to run or through various laws on the local level allow free air time and ads so big money will not be nessacary or allowed. The two party system is killing us. It worked ok when each person elected represented their district and wouldn't go along with their parties gang.The civil war was primarily because the southern states felt unrepresented, slavery is a part of it but the main cause was economic (slaver is part of the economics of it to a degree) and the growing reach of the federal government, with under Lincoln the federal government morphed in to something different. The first lobbyist as we know them today appeared on teh day of his inauguration. IF we had 5 or 6 parties it would be ok, coalition govements would work much better than the repubs and dems taking their turn with the shotgun.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote:Its not just the money, lobbyist, the parties are a big part of the problem. The biggest. When we elect someone to the senate they stop representing us and start working for their parties goals.

I'd say get all money out of politics and have federal financing for all candidates for president, and a limited number of free ads each election. States could either compensate candidates to run or through various laws on the local level allow free air time and ads so big money will not be nessacary or allowed. The two party system is killing us. It worked ok when each person elected represented their district and wouldn't go along with their parties gang.The civil war was primarily because the southern states felt unrepresented, slavery is a part of it but the main cause was economic (slaver is part of the economics of it to a degree) and the growing reach of the federal government, with under Lincoln the federal government morphed in to something different. The first lobbyist as we know them today appeared on teh day of his inauguration. IF we had 5 or 6 parties it would be ok, coalition govements would work much better than the repubs and dems taking their turn with the shotgun.
Agreed 100%. We have a similar system in this country - political advertising is outlawed, but any party that puts up more than, I think, 50 candidates is entitled to what's called a Party Political Broadcast - 5 minutes of airtime on one of the major broadcast networks where they can put their case.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Three of Oh-bama's economic team have now quit. COS Emmauel will be the next to go. Hillary won't be far behind. Oh-bama has been the worst President in recent time, next to Carter. He is totally lost in the job and does not realize he is done and should be voted out of office as quickly as possible. The working class tax payer has had it. :fight:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:Three of Oh-bama's economic team have now quit. COS Emmauel will be the next to go. Hillary won't be far behind. Oh-bama has been the worst President in recent time, next to Carter. He is totally lost in the job and does not realize he is done and should be voted out of office as quickly as possible. The working class tax payer has had it. :fight:
Emmanuel wants to run for mayor of Chicago. I can't think of a job better suited to his, ahem, talents.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Woodward's new book blows the lid off Oh-bama's incompetence in foreign policy. He is sinking faster and faster and should be impeached.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

He is JImmy Carter Jr in many people eyes now. For some reasone he just doesn't get what is going on at all. The town-hall yesterday (or was it monday?) demonstrated how out of touch he is, and those people were hand selected because they love him and should it be loved him.

Trying to balm bush and the war and TAx cuts are fool gambit, first the tax cuts screw the government it is my money to begin with I can tell them what is unfunded, taxes, we just don't have the money for it. The war yes it cost were heavy but the dirty secret most if not all the spending came back home though the soldiers and outfitters not to forget industry in America that feeds off the demand for new tanks helicopters and other things. Real jobs that most people in the country were affected by. We know what keel the nation was on when the disaster that almost sunk the economy happened, and we looked to return to a manageable balance, but the dems blew trillion of dollars on crap project bloating the size of government putting money in the corrupt state government who pad their personal bank account over trickling it down to us.

Evey American citizen could have been made billionaire (talk about an economy on fire) far cheaper than all the pork project the democrats forced down our throats
Look Bill Clinton gets it (to bad we can swap Obama out for him), he understand part of the frustration the American public feels, I am sick of sending slubs to ,city counsel, congress, senate, Governor offices to have them become millionaires in a few years and part of the ol boy network.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote: Look Bill Clinton gets it (to bad we can swap Obama out for him), he understand part of the frustration the American public feels, I am sick of sending slubs to ,city counsel, congress, senate, Governor offices to have them become millionaires in a few years and part of the ol boy network.
Clinton was the one who first started the sellout of the Dem party to corporate interests. He signed NAFTA, which started the trend towards outsourcing of American jobs. Far from being nostalgic for Clinton, I think most of Obama's problems stem from surrounding himself with too many Clinton people, espousing the same neoliberal economic policies that got us into this mess (and I can say "us" because the state of the American economy has repercussions around the world, including Britain). His beating Hillary Clinton in the primaries was supposed to signal a rejection of that way of thinking.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Agree with Kris 100%. Clinton is a money machine. I know someone whose cousin tried to lobby Clinton in the White House. You have to come prepared with cash to speak with him. His fake Global Initiative is nothing more than a money laundering tool. Bush does this with the Carlyle group too. We are all fed up with lobbyists. THAT one item is the root of all evil in society, that, and liberal philosophy, which is only as successful as other people's deep pockets. These fake liberal elites hide their money off shore, not in the USA. The Kennedys do this to avoid inheritance taxes from generation to generation. ALL frauds, and Hillary and Bill are slime and not the answer. Oh-bama hired all of Clinton's stooges and after New Year's eve, none will be left, except Hillary who will tender her resignation shortly. Axelrod does not trust her.