US Election 2008

A place for friendly discussions of politics in general.

Your Choice For US President

Poll ended at Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:53 pm

Barack Obama
44%
John McCain
33%
Ralph Nader
11%
Other
11%

Total votes: 9

Gary Seven
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: US Election

Post by Gary Seven »

It will be interesting to see how the election pans out. Will they go for the freshness of Obama? Or will they play it safe in these difficult times with the experienced McCain?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Gary Seven wrote:It will be interesting to see how the election pans out. Will they go for the freshness of Obama? Or will they play it safe in these difficult times with the experienced McCain?
As I've said before, "time for a change" is a powerful argument in politics, and I think once Hillary drops out, we'll see a sharp surge of support for Obama. The only way McCain will win in November is if Clinton decides to drag the Democratic infighting out until the convention, giving the Dems only a couple of months to wage a general election campaign. I think she's quite vindictive enough to do it, too. It's all about destroying Obama at this point, so that she can run again in 2012. But if she drops out within the next week or so, I may be forced to revise my opinion of her.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Cannot wait for Shrill Hill's concession speech (which self promotes) tonight. :D :D :D
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

bjmdds wrote:At 3:00am, the phone call will be for Bill, not her. She will endorse Obama Saturday, YET, STILL wants her name kept in nomination JUST IN CASE, until the convention!!! The gall of this politically insane individual. She and Bill are sick people, and now, even their own party, NOT some vast right wing conspiracy, did her in. Good riddance and get lost.
Bill was known for doing some crooked things, but he seemed to have a reputation as a thinker and a world statesman. Now the media seem to portray him as a buffoon.
Bring back Bond!
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

Picking Hilary Clinton for VP wouldn't fit with his plans for "changing" politics. That's actually one change I want from Obama: DO NOT HIRE OPPORTUNISTS IN YOUR CABINET. That's what's been ruining the government for too long.

Hey BJ, recently former governor Jesse Ventura was on Larry King Live and was asked who he would vote for and he said none. He likes McCain but doesn't like his stance on the Iraq war and doesn't like his tax money funding the war. He respects Obama but doesn't think he would be able to change politics because it's too corrupt and that he's a democrat. He was also stating that "if they included an option 'none of the above' on the ballots I guarantee you that the majority would chose that option, I know I certainly would. I dare them to actually include it and see the results." What do you think of his thoughts BJ?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Maybe we need a new poll, now that the options are effectively down to two.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

stockslivevan wrote:Picking Hilary Clinton for VP wouldn't fit with his plans for "changing" politics. That's actually one change I want from Obama: DO NOT HIRE OPPORTUNISTS IN YOUR CABINET. That's what's been ruining the government for too long.

Hey BJ, recently former governor Jesse Ventura was on Larry King Live and was asked who he would vote for and he said none. He likes McCain but doesn't like his stance on the Iraq war and doesn't like his tax money funding the war. He respects Obama but doesn't think he would be able to change politics because it's too corrupt and that he's a democrat. He was also stating that "if they included an option 'none of the above' on the ballots I guarantee you that the majority would chose that option, I know I certainly would. I dare them to actually include it and see the results." What do you think of his thoughts BJ?
I saw that interview Stocks.Too many body slams to his head in the old WWWF, now the WWE. Ventura TRULY believes that the USA government imploded the third building at ground zero. Aside from his revolution stance, he is correct in being fed up with ALL of the USA Congress. Clinton is hoping something bad occurs to knock Obama out. He does not need her, nor her lunatic supporters who refuse to see her as the scheming ,self-centered, underhanded witch she is. Her followers remind me of a cult, not a political body. Watch her speech tomorrow. Let us see IF she "suspends" or 'ends" her campaign. I say she states the former.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

carl stromberg wrote:
bjmdds wrote:At 3:00am, the phone call will be for Bill, not her. She will endorse Obama Saturday, YET, STILL wants her name kept in nomination JUST IN CASE, until the convention!!! The gall of this politically insane individual. She and Bill are sick people, and now, even their own party, NOT some vast right wing conspiracy, did her in. Good riddance and get lost.
Bill was known for doing some crooked things, but he seemed to have a reputation as a thinker and a world statesman. Now the media seem to portray him as a buffoon.
He just called a reporter a scumbag, on air. He is a lowlife, as low as one could go. Just ask Gina Gershon.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

stockslivevan wrote:Picking Hilary Clinton for VP wouldn't fit with his plans for "changing" politics. That's actually one change I want from Obama: DO NOT HIRE OPPORTUNISTS IN YOUR CABINET. That's what's been ruining the government for too long.
Hillary is done for. unless she digs up something good on Obama. He's made it clear he doesn't want her anywhere near him and it would be too dangerous to have the CLintons in the background screwing around. Jefferson and Adams all over again.

Obama disappointed me in one regard already, calling McCain the Third Bush term. It's stupid any one who been aware of politics for the last 2 years knows it is baloney and if someone has been paying attention since 2000 then they know the only person who hates Bush more than the Democrats is McCain.

Maybe Obama thinks the American people are too stupid to notice, could be. But I noticed it and I wonder if he is so naive that he misread the McCain situation so badly. What is going to do when he has to face actual bad guys. Is he going to misread them?
Thats what happened to Kruschev when he met Kennedy, d**n near blew up the world.

But it would be nice to clean house in Washington get run the lobbyists and opportunists out of town and start fresh. Never Happen :cuss:
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

bjmdds wrote:
carl stromberg wrote:
He just called a reporter a scumbag, on air. He is a lowlife, as low as one could go. Just ask Gina Gershon.
It is amazing! The press core and the DNC turned on the Clinton's. The joke when they left office, after looting the white house, was they were the Sopranos ina pickup truck :lol:
Ol Bill is hopping mad and Hillary can't believe it. Her concession speech where she put her campaign on "hold", the words were right her expressions said somethings different. I think the DNC made a deal to pay off her debt and she had to play along to get it. I don't think she is under any illsiuons that this was her one shot, after Obama she and Bill no longer have the kind of power in the DNC they used to.
What a mazes me is it took this long to break their death grip on the party. The last 2 democrats running for president couldn't get rid of their lackeys and take control of the party.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote:It is amazing! The press corps and the DNC turned on the Clintons. The joke when they left office, after looting the White House, was they were the Sopranos in a pickup truck :lol:
I thought that "looting the White House" thing was a myth put about by muckraking bloggers?
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Kristatos wrote:
Dr. No wrote:It is amazing! The press corps and the DNC turned on the Clintons. The joke when they left office, after looting the White House, was they were the Sopranos in a pickup truck :lol:
I thought that "looting the White House" thing was a myth put about by muckraking bloggers?
No muckraking bloggers back then, I used it for a bit of fun but they did take alot of stuff that was property of teh white house when they moved out, The last minute pardons made them look bad and taking furniture didn't help.
They got a lot of gifts sure, some of it would be misunderstanding but it is too them not to take what wasn't nailed down even if it had the white house label on it.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Story?id=121856&page=1
The white house was actually looted once, I think it was when Andrew Jackson left office, I know it was after the Lincoln Funeral.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote:
Kristatos wrote:
No muckraking bloggers back then, I used it for a bit of fun but they did take alot of stuff that was property of teh white house when they moved out, The last minute pardons made them look bad and taking furniture didn't help.
They got a lot of gifts sure, some of it would be misunderstanding but it is too them not to take what wasn't nailed down even if it had the white house label on it.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Story?id=121856&page=1
The white house was actually looted once, I think it was when Andrew Jackson left office, I know it was after the Lincoln Funeral.
Snopes doesn't have anything on it one way or the other, which surprised me.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Looking at the link you posted, I was getting my news stories mixed up. The one I thought was a myth is the one about the Clintons allegedly trashing the White House before they left. And there absolutely were muckraking bloggers back then - blogging really came to the public's attention when Matt Drudge broke the story of Bill's sex scandals before the mainstream media did.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Kristatos wrote:Looking at the link you posted, I was getting my news stories mixed up. The one I thought was a myth is the one about the Clintons allegedly trashing the White House before they left. And there absolutely were muckraking bloggers back then - blogging really came to the public's attention when Matt Drudge broke the story of Bill's sex scandals before the mainstream media did.
I didn't give much thought to the trashing teh white house guff. Supposedly they smashed up Air force one too. :|

I guess there were bloggers of a sort in the late 90's , I was thinking of how it Is today where everyone is given status if they say they are a "blogger". Practically one step away from reporter.
I heard Drudge is on the Clinton enemies list again after Hillary’s failed run
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Hillary was humiliated. Look at who beat her, a nobody with 2 years Senate experience. Now let her crawl back to the Senate and keep herself in the shadows. Notice that she no longer speaks out for ANY promises made on the campaign? She is an opportunist and a deceitful liar. She is wishing negativity on Obama. He had better watch his back.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

I have a feeling that Obama will win easily.
Goldeneye
Site Admin

US Election 2008

Post by Goldeneye »

Since we now have the 2 candidates from the 2 main political parties we are starting fresh topic with a new poll and merging the post since Obama became the presumptive nominee for the Democrats.

Jenna Bush did surprisingly well in our last poll! :D
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: US Election 2008

Post by Kristatos »

I voted Nader, America's answer to Screaming Lord Sutch, since the question was not "who do you think will be the next president?".