US Election 2008

A place for friendly discussions of politics in general.

Your Choice For US President

Poll ended at Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:53 pm

Barack Obama
44%
John McCain
33%
Ralph Nader
11%
Other
11%

Total votes: 9

katied

Re: US Election 2008

Post by katied »

My mom canvasses for the Democratic party in their area. We're a city with split loyalties- we're a classically Democratic voting city,though we have a fair share of Republicans(they had a convention here;also we have a lot of very conservative,older, former-and current- millitary voters(Marines, Navy).

Still, it could be worse. She could be canvassing for the Democratic Party in someplace like Orange County(which is uber Republican). Still, even around here, with Obama's approval being in the crapper, she still has a uphill battle.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote: Still, it could be worse. She could be canvassing for the Democratic Party in someplace like Orange County(which is uber Republican). Still, even around here, with Obama's approval being in the crapper, she still has a uphill battle.
The last I heard, Obama's personal approval rating was higher than his party's.

(checks Realclearpolitics)

Obama job approval rating: 44.9%
Congreassional job approval rating: 22.7%
Generic ballot: Republicans 46.5% Democrats 42.4%
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

Still, going out and trying to get people to vote Democrat is not something I'd want to do,You couldn't pay me enou..oh wait. It's a volunteer position.Never mind. :twisted:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote:Still, going out and trying to get people to vote Democrat is not something I'd want to do,You couldn't pay me enou..oh wait. It's a volunteer position.Never mind. :twisted:
At least the Republicans are making it easier by electing anti-masturbation witches as challengers.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Joe Bye-Bye-den is telling the liberals to stop whining and vote and buck up.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:Joe Bye-Bye-den is telling the liberals to stop whining and vote and buck up.
Yeah, that's a real good way of persuading people to vote for you :roll:

Paul Krugman wrote an article in the NYT comparing the way Bush wooed his base with the way the current administration treat Obama's base (roughly the same way that a dog treats a lamppost). Not so much Obama himself as the people around him: Biden, Gibbs, Emanuel et al. Their consistent message has been "we don't have to listen to you, but we demand that you vote for us". I think they want to lose this election, so they can blame the Republican-controlled Congress for their failure to achieve anything.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Hillary is getting set to quit after the elections to run against Oh-bama in the primaries. Michelle hates the Clintons. No other recent president has had so many cabinet people quit within his first 2 years. The USA hates Oh-bama's treachery and policies and he will be done soon once Hillary's hatchetmen go to work on him, leaving the Republicans to pick up the pieces. NO working class people want his crummy health care as is and the businesses will not hire umtil it is repealed and all 2600 pages are burned on national tv.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:Hillary is getting set to quit after the elections to run against Oh-bama in the primaries.
I keep hearing this rumour, but to me, it sounds like wishful thinking by people who supported her in the 2008 primaries and still have a grudge against Obama for beating her. Has there ever been a successful primary challenge to a sitting President? I can't see Hillary doing something where the most likely outcome is that it will damage her chances in 2016. If there's a primary challenge, it will most likely by a symbolic one by someone like Dennis Kucinich, who has no hope of winning anyway, and therefore has nothing to lose.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Oh-bama got his clock cleaned here Tuesday in the mid term elections and STILL he does not realize the repudiation of his policies was his downfall. Pelosi is gone, thankfully, the idiot unions kept Reid in office which will bode well in 2012 for the Republicans who will use Reid's face with Oh-bama to vote a new President into office. Oh-bama looks lost and his ego is crushed YET he will embark on a $200 million PER DAY trip to India Saturday with 3000 buddies that the US tax payer will finance while Michelle No-bell booked the entire Taj Mahal Hotel for her guests! Audacity? Even the Democrats think this trip looks bad during these times. Oh-bama=LOSER of the highest degree. McCain should now tell him, "the election is over Barack". :down: