Main reason why Craig is not Bond..

What is your main criticism of Craig as Bond

Doesn't look the part
37
51%
Lacks "Bond essence"
20
28%
Too old for rookie Bond
4
6%
Lacks charisma
8
11%
Too short
3
4%
 
Total votes : 72

Main reason why Craig is not Bond..

Postby carl stromberg » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:29 pm

What is your principal reason for not regarding Daniel Craig as James Bond?

Mine is that he simply does not look like James Bond.
Last edited by carl stromberg on Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bring back Bond!
User avatar
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
 
Posts: 4234
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: The Duck Inn
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Postby Skywalker » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:34 pm

Did not act like James Bond and is painfully ugly.

Image
“I'd like to thank the Royal Marines for bringing me in like that and scaring the s--- out of me,” Bond Hardman Daniel Craig.
User avatar
Skywalker
002
 
Posts: 1705
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: On the side of truth and honesty. No room for sheep - just shepherds.
Favorite Bond Movie: Live and Let Die
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Quantum of Solace.......Hmmm
Favorite Movies: Batman Begins
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens

Postby ID » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:49 pm

It comes down to looks. I can't really accept someone who looks as ordinary as Craig being Bond so I struggle to get very far beyond that.
User avatar
ID
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:43 pm
Location: Shrublands

Postby Dr. No » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:01 pm

Where to start.. where to start.

while he dosn't look like Bond any more than Dolph Lundgren does. I gotta go with his acting. He didn't act like Bond and dosen't behave like Bond, a major black mark in my book.
User avatar
Dr. No
006
 
Posts: 3453
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:28 pm
Location: Crab Key
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Postby Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:51 pm

Skywalker wrote:Did not act like James Bond and is painfully ugly.

Image


Last time I saw a mouth like that it had a hook in it.
Image
User avatar
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
 
Posts: 2725
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:06 pm
Location: Terra
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Re: Main reason why Craig is not Bond..

Postby Kristatos » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:40 am

carl stromberg wrote:What is your principal reason for not regarding Daniel Craig as James Bond?

Mine is that he simply does not look like James Bond.


Mine too. They changed the essence of the character too, but that appears to be Paul Haggis's doing rather than Craig's.
Balls, Q?
User avatar
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
 
Posts: 10397
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:26 pm
Location: St. Cyril's

Postby Commander 0077 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:33 am

I agree with the above and add this:

lack of charm.
To pull off another iconic actor : Bogart. I think he played several chareacters that were very Bonded in personal mannerisms: Philip Marlowe -- "hard boiled private eye." But when he's on screen, there's some electrical current in the air. And of course, Casablanca, in white dinner jacket. Staring into his double bourbon. (The previews call him "The most dangerous man in the world"!).

I think it was the director of Dr No who said, "Bond has to have charm. He can smile at the dinner table and in the next instant, stick you with a steak knife. If he doesn't have charm, then he's just another killer."
You move very well for a dead man, Mr Bond
Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!
2 007
User avatar
Commander 0077
Lieutenant-Commander
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:05 am
Location: Hong Kong by the sea

Postby Jedi007 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:26 am

If he doesn't have charm, then he's just another killer


That's what separtes Bond from the other assassins/killers/murderers that the so-called Fleming fans doesn't even want to acknowledge as part of Bond's overall personality/character. They just want him to be a killer, as simple as that. They want to be some sort of anti-hero, when he 's a very Bristish gentleman-type.
BOND sells, NOT CRAIG
The reboot is a risky area, did Eon need to do it? NO. Did this confuse alot of people? YES.
The Bond character will always be anchored in the values of the 60s
Image
User avatar
Jedi007
Lieutenant-Commander
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:04 am
Location: Inside an invisible Aston Martin

Postby The Sweeney » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:00 pm

Jedi007 wrote:
If he doesn't have charm, then he's just another killer


That's what separtes Bond from the other assassins/killers/murderers that the so-called Fleming fans doesn't even want to acknowledge as part of Bond's overall personality/character. They just want him to be a killer, as simple as that. They want to be some sort of anti-hero, when he 's a very Bristish gentleman-type.


What if the `so-called Fleming fans' thought Craig had the English charm (which I do, by the way)?
User avatar
The Sweeney
003
 
Posts: 3374
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Underneath a Mango Tree....
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Postby Gary Seven » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:14 pm

I would have half-enjoyed Daniel Craig in a Licience To Kill style Bond installment.

But the Bond begins and early Bond elements made it unwatchable for me.
User avatar
Gary Seven
Lieutenant-Commander
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:50 pm

Postby Kristatos » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:14 pm

Gary Seven wrote:I would have half-enjoyed Daniel Craig in a Licience To Kill style Bond installment.


Sounds like you'll half-enjoy Bond 22 then.
Balls, Q?
User avatar
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
 
Posts: 10397
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:26 pm
Location: St. Cyril's

Re: Main reason why Craig is not Bond..

Postby Terry » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:32 pm

carl stromberg wrote:What is your principal reason for not regarding Daniel Craig as James Bond?

Mine is that he simply does not look like James Bond.



Ditto. Plus he's uncouth.
User avatar
Terry
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:54 pm
Location: Top Secret

Postby Captain Nash » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:00 pm

Some fantastic reasons to dislike the apparent character that many of you claim to be a fan of.
He's to ugly.
Yeah that's a solid reason. Keep them coming guys they're keeping the smile on my face. :lol:
User avatar
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:44 am
Location: Well here obviously. At the moment of course
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
....
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Postby Commander 0077 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:59 am

Captain Nash wrote:Some fantastic reasons to dislike the apparent character that many of you claim to be a fan of.
He's to ugly.
Yeah that's a solid reason. Keep them coming guys they're keeping the smile on my face. :lol:


Keeping it, etc 8)

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
It seems rather clear (to some, anyway) that James Bond is supposed to be on the order of 'classically handsome' .... some of the Bond girls in the books : "Very handsome" ... "Handsome with a ruthless mouth...."
"Like a movie star ...." blahblahblah :?

This seems a very solid reason to dislike the 'apparent character'.
Or to put it even more bluntly ...
If not handsome, at least the actor playing Bond should not have average looks. To be very kind to Mr Craig, he has average looks (on his best days). That's fine if you're playing a character part that calls for average looks. But here the actor is supposed to be portraying the star, James Bond, who from the novels and all the other films has been 'rather good looking.' :!:
You move very well for a dead man, Mr Bond
Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!
2 007
User avatar
Commander 0077
Lieutenant-Commander
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:05 am
Location: Hong Kong by the sea

Postby Commander 0077 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:03 am

The Sweeney wrote:
Jedi007 wrote:
If he doesn't have charm, then he's just another killer


That's what separtes Bond from the other assassins/killers/murderers that the so-called Fleming fans doesn't even want to acknowledge as part of Bond's overall personality/character. They just want him to be a killer, as simple as that. They want to be some sort of anti-hero, when he 's a very Bristish gentleman-type.


What if the `so-called Fleming fans' thought Craig had the English charm (which I do, by the way)?


That's fine, Sweeney. I suppose there is more than one type of English charm (he said with a straight face :roll:
You move very well for a dead man, Mr Bond
Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!
2 007
User avatar
Commander 0077
Lieutenant-Commander
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:05 am
Location: Hong Kong by the sea

Postby The Sweeney » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:05 am

Commander 0077 wrote:
Captain Nash wrote:Some fantastic reasons to dislike the apparent character that many of you claim to be a fan of.
He's to ugly.
Yeah that's a solid reason. Keep them coming guys they're keeping the smile on my face. :lol:


Keeping it, etc 8)

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
It seems rather clear (to some, anyway) that James Bond is supposed to be on the order of 'classically handsome' .... some of the Bond girls in the books : "Very handsome" ... "Handsome with a ruthless mouth...."
"Like a movie star ...." blahblahblah :?

This seems a very solid reason to dislike the 'apparent character'.
Or to put it even more bluntly ...
If not handsome, at least the actor playing Bond should not have average looks. To be very kind to Mr Craig, he has average looks (on his best days). That's fine if you're playing a character part that calls for average looks. But here the actor is supposed to be portraying the star, James Bond, who from the novels and all the other films has been 'rather good looking.' :!:


Craig has now scored high in countless women polls, I've read many saucy remarks from women journalists, and seen many famous actresses come out of the woodwork to say they fancy him. Hell, at the BAFTA award's, Jonathan Ross introduced him as the sexiest man in the room, to which was met by a large round of applause and wolf-whistles from females.

And all this for a guy who is supposed to be `average looking at best?'
User avatar
The Sweeney
003
 
Posts: 3374
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Underneath a Mango Tree....
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Postby Gary Seven » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:25 am

Daniel Craig is short and odd looking and not what Bond is supposed to look like.

That's why Craig plays murderers and psychopaths.

There are other reasons for being attractive - look at all the beautiful women with what would be considered ugly men, so it is obvious that many people find Craig attractive.

The fact is Daniel Craig is not a stereotypically handsome man like Jackman, Brosnan, Dalton, Brad Pitt etc. And so he is not Bond.

Daniel De Vito is not what you would call handsome, but nodoubt has many female admirers.

Craig is the same especially as he has big muscles and money. But he is ugly, not like Fleming described Bond.

As regards Bond 22 being like Licence To Kill - yes that would be great as long as they pretend Casino Royale wasn't made and get rid off all the young Bond arc. and any follow on from Royale.
User avatar
Gary Seven
Lieutenant-Commander
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:50 pm

Postby James » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:32 pm

Captain Nash wrote:Of course the Craig is ugly argument is a matter of opinion. I never thought you douchebags would call him a good looking Bond.
But the fact of the matter is that there are alot more people that think he makes a great and handsome Bond.



I think you lost what little credibility you had when you suggested that Timothy Dalton was the ugliest James Bond. I suppose you can probably get away with that fantasy on MI6.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
User avatar
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
 
Posts: 1537
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:14 pm
Location: Europe and Outer Space
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Postby The Sweeney » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:38 pm

James wrote:
Captain Nash wrote:Of course the Craig is ugly argument is a matter of opinion. I never thought you douchebags would call him a good looking Bond.
But the fact of the matter is that there are alot more people that think he makes a great and handsome Bond.



I think you lost what little credibility you had when you suggested that Timothy Dalton was the ugliest James Bond. I suppose you can probably get away with that fantasy on MI6.


Credibility? Surely it is just a matter of opinion we are talking about here.....?
User avatar
The Sweeney
003
 
Posts: 3374
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Underneath a Mango Tree....
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Postby James » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:45 pm

The Sweeney wrote:
James wrote:
Captain Nash wrote:Of course the Craig is ugly argument is a matter of opinion. I never thought you douchebags would call him a good looking Bond.
But the fact of the matter is that there are alot more people that think he makes a great and handsome Bond.



I think you lost what little credibility you had when you suggested that Timothy Dalton was the ugliest James Bond. I suppose you can probably get away with that fantasy on MI6.


Credibility? Surely it is just a matter of opinion we are talking about here.....?



I don't think it is. You can say that you believe Craig is the best actor to play Bond or you like him because it was time to try something new. That's a point of debate. But to say that Timothy Dalton was the least handsome Bond is just ridiculous.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
User avatar
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
 
Posts: 1537
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:14 pm
Location: Europe and Outer Space
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Next

Return to Daniel Craig as James Bond

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests