Just seen all of the Bonds

Just seen all of the Bonds

Postby badfinger » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:46 pm

I grew up in the 80's somehow not ever watching a Bond film...loved everything English...Beatles, Doctor Who, Minis etc but just never sat down and watched a Bond film. Last year I thought I would start so I started with the last 3 films. I thought well they are just like Bourne Identity...not that special...Then I started with Dr. No and went through everyone of them. NOW I see what the fuss was and is about. Even the so called bad ones I liked including Moonraker. The new ones don't hold a candle to them. Was Skyfall a good action movie? Yes...was it a Bond movie...No. BTW this is a terrific site...Glad I'm not alone.
badfinger
New Recruit
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: Just seen all of the Bonds

Postby Kristatos » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:18 pm

Welcome Badfinger :cheers:

Personally, I think Skyfall was way too talky to qualify as an action movie, good or bad. But we're glad you're here.
Balls, Q?
User avatar
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
 
Posts: 10405
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:26 pm
Location: St. Cyril's

Re: Just seen all of the Bonds

Postby carl stromberg » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:13 pm

Welcome!

Like many others I grew up watching the Bond series (i.e pre-Craig) and it was distinctive and fun. But then it was rebooted as a modern spy thriller series with Daniel Craig taking it seriously. I'm sorry but that is not like the old series, not Bond and something I have no interest in.
Bring back Bond!
User avatar
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
 
Posts: 4236
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: The Duck Inn
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Re: Just seen all of the Bonds

Postby The Saint 007 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:14 pm

Welcome to the forum, Badfinger! :cheers:

Totally agree with you how the new Bonds don't come close to the fun and entertainment quality of the classics.
Image
User avatar
The Saint 007
0013
 
Posts: 3644
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:16 am
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Re: Just seen all of the Bonds

Postby bjmdds » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:17 pm

Badfinger put his goodfinger on the situation. He knows his onions :!: :up:
Image
User avatar
bjmdds
001
 
Posts: 12392
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:14 pm
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.
Favorite Movies: The Sting; The Shawshank Redemption; Goodfellas; My Cousin Vinny; The Godfather I; Star Trek IV; Back To The Future I; Harry Potter films; Serendipity: Shane; Elvis Presley films

Re: Just seen all of the Bonds

Postby James » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:44 pm

The sad thing is that there is now an entire generation who grew up with Craig as Bond and are probably only vaguely aware of the old films. To them the essence of James Bond is some short stocky mumbling nutcase with a terrible haircut.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
User avatar
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
 
Posts: 1537
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:14 pm
Location: Europe and Outer Space
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Re: Just seen all of the Bonds

Postby kater23 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:57 pm

Ignoring the Connery/Moore/Dalton/Brosnan films would be insanity. Yet some younger people in the Bond fandom do. :cuss:
The poster formerly known as Katied :)
User avatar
kater23
Moneypenny
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:31 pm
Location: California
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Re: Just seen all of the Bonds

Postby badfinger » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:21 am

Thank you for the replies... You were talking about younger people and I have a 13 year old who agrees with me. We watched them together not attached to any Bond since we never saw the films. Even he said after watching all the older ones that Daniel Craig didn't look the part plus he was way too serious. Of course...he noticed the lack of as many girls in the newer ones also lol. Bond just isn't fun anymore.... I guess I fit in with the crowd mostly...my favorites are Connery and Moore

I have to say through the series I grew attached to Q (Desmond Llewelyn played him with such sincerity) and his gadgets... I loved the gadgets. Only the invisible car threw me off....
BTW I got Badfinger from the early 70's rock group but it fits well in this forum!

Thanks again for the welcome
badfinger
New Recruit
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: Just seen all of the Bonds

Postby Blowfeld » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:17 am

The Saint 007 wrote:Welcome to the forum, Badfinger! :cheers:

Totally agree with you how the new Bonds don't come close to the fun and entertainment quality of the classics.

Welcome Badfinger !!

There is something so basic and pure to Cubby & Saltzman Bond is hard to understand why they have such a hard time replicating the formula today.
Image
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
User avatar
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
 
Posts: 3184
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:03 pm
Location: the world
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Re: Just seen all of the Bonds

Postby Kristatos » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:23 am

Blowfeld wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:Welcome to the forum, Badfinger! :cheers:

Totally agree with you how the new Bonds don't come close to the fun and entertainment quality of the classics.

Welcome Badfinger !!

There is something so basic and pure to Cubby & Saltzman Bond is hard to understand why they have such a hard time replicating the formula today.

My view is that they overthink it. They're so obsessed with the question of how to make Bond relevant to the modern world that they forget to simply tell a story. I wouldn't expect that you could simply release a film like Goldfinger today exactly as it was almost half a century ago, filmmaking techniques etc have changed since then, but the process of updating Bond should arise naturally from the script, performances and direction. Modern Bond films feel like the actors are simply reading out the notes from their tone meetings in places. It certainly doesn't feel effortless.
Balls, Q?
User avatar
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
 
Posts: 10405
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:26 pm
Location: St. Cyril's

Re: Just seen all of the Bonds

Postby The Saint 007 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:02 pm

Character exploration is now the primary focus, while the adventure has become second fiddle. It was clear after Die Another Day that the producers didn't know what to do anymore. Since the reboot, the main focus of the new films has been about exploring Bond's character or other characters around him, while recycling the content from some of the previous films. As I've said before in another thread, having some character depth is okay, but too much of it makes things pretty boring. After all, Bond is only as interesting as the villains he faces and the adventures he goes on.

Despite the large amount of money being put into these new Bond films, they seem very cheap/inferior to the classics in almost every way. The characters, action/stunts, music, set pieces, gadgets, etc of the classics are so much more superior in quality than what we get now, in my opinion.
Image
User avatar
The Saint 007
0013
 
Posts: 3644
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:16 am
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Re: Just seen all of the Bonds

Postby kater23 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:03 pm

badfinger wrote:Thank you for the replies... You were talking about younger people and I have a 13 year old who agrees with me. We watched them together not attached to any Bond since we never saw the films. Even he said after watching all the older ones that Daniel Craig didn't look the part plus he was way too serious. Of course...he noticed the lack of as many girls in the newer ones also lol. Bond just isn't fun anymore.... I guess I fit in with the crowd mostly...my favorites are Connery and Moore

I have to say through the series I grew attached to Q (Desmond Llewelyn played him with such sincerity) and his gadgets... I loved the gadgets. Only the invisible car threw me off....
BTW I got Badfinger from the early 70's rock group but it fits well in this forum!

Thanks again for the welcome




Yes! Another Llewelyn fan here! I liked Cleese(big Monty Python fan) and the new guy? *shrug*
The poster formerly known as Katied :)
User avatar
kater23
Moneypenny
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:31 pm
Location: California
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Re: Just seen all of the Bonds

Postby Daltonite Toothpaste » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:41 am

carl stromberg wrote:Welcome!

Like many others I grew up watching the Bond series (i.e pre-Craig) and it was distinctive and fun. But then it was rebooted as a modern spy thriller series with Daniel Craig taking it seriously. I'm sorry but that is not like the old series, not Bond and something I have no interest in.


From Russia With Love, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, those are spy thrillers. The Craig films are not spy thrillers, they are Jason Statham films (without Jason Staham) and a load of artsy fartsy nonsense. I want the films to return to being a spy thrillers, but I think I will have a loooooooong wait for that to happen.
Image
User avatar
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 2:35 pm
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Re: Just seen all of the Bonds

Postby carl stromberg » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:58 pm

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:
carl stromberg wrote:Welcome!

Like many others I grew up watching the Bond series (i.e pre-Craig) and it was distinctive and fun. But then it was rebooted as a modern spy thriller series with Daniel Craig taking it seriously. I'm sorry but that is not like the old series, not Bond and something I have no interest in.


From Russia With Love, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, those are spy thrillers. The Craig films are not spy thrillers, they are Jason Statham films (without Jason Staham) and a load of artsy fartsy nonsense. I want the films to return to being a spy thrillers, but I think I will have a loooooooong wait for that to happen.


What do we call the Craig films? Poncy action films? We need a new term. :wink:
Bring back Bond!
User avatar
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
 
Posts: 4236
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: The Duck Inn
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Re: Just seen all of the Bonds

Postby bjmdds » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:22 pm

TRASH :!:
Image
User avatar
bjmdds
001
 
Posts: 12392
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:14 pm
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.
Favorite Movies: The Sting; The Shawshank Redemption; Goodfellas; My Cousin Vinny; The Godfather I; Star Trek IV; Back To The Future I; Harry Potter films; Serendipity: Shane; Elvis Presley films

Re: Just seen all of the Bonds

Postby Barry Niven » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:36 pm

Abominations.
Barry Niven
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:13 am

Re: Just seen all of the Bonds

Postby FormerBondFan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:50 am

This is what we should describe DC Bonds from now on:

Image
Image
User avatar
FormerBondFan
008
 
Posts: 6326
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:24 am
Location: Southern CA
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Re: Just seen all of the Bonds

Postby Daltonite Toothpaste » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:17 am

carl stromberg wrote:
Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:
carl stromberg wrote:Welcome!

Like many others I grew up watching the Bond series (i.e pre-Craig) and it was distinctive and fun. But then it was rebooted as a modern spy thriller series with Daniel Craig taking it seriously. I'm sorry but that is not like the old series, not Bond and something I have no interest in.


From Russia With Love, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, those are spy thrillers. The Craig films are not spy thrillers, they are Jason Statham films (without Jason Staham) and a load of artsy fartsy nonsense. I want the films to return to being a spy thrillers, but I think I will have a loooooooong wait for that to happen.


What do we call the Craig films? Poncy action films? We need a new term. :wink:


You've just coined it, Poncy Action Films. Now just wait for the royalties. :wink:
Image
User avatar
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 2:35 pm
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Re: Just seen all of the Bonds

Postby Kristatos » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:53 pm

Arty Ramboesque Cinematic Experience, or ARCE for short.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2
Balls, Q?
User avatar
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
 
Posts: 10405
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:26 pm
Location: St. Cyril's

Re: Just seen all of the Bonds

Postby okconnery » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:02 am

why was the Goldfinger car in Skyfall even though it has no logical connection to the Craig reboot? (Craig was born in 1968 so the car itself is even older than Craig!) Maybe because they were trying to entice slash mollify us classicists after the critical failure of Quantum of Solace. A billion Skyfall dollars later, who knows what's coming next
"don't diss me OK Connery is the theme from Operation Kid Brother"
okconnery
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:16 am
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, parts of everything else except Craig
Favorite Movies: Help! (The Beatles)


Return to Daniel Craig as James Bond

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

cron