Anthony Hopkins: The oscar process is disgusting

shaken not stirred
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, the spy who loved Me, the world is not enough, goldfinger, live and let die.
Favorite Movies: Iron man,Iron man 2, avengers, goldeneye, dark city, back to the future, live and let die.

Anthony Hopkins: The oscar process is disgusting

Post by shaken not stirred »

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/oscar-proces ... 40191.html

I know I'm not here much and due to sf I don't want to hear all the praise it's getting so I'll take a break from time to time to keep My stress down but here's Sir Anthony Hopkins thoughts on the oscars and why they're a joke & the guy couldn't have said it any better himself. :cheers:
Bond....James bond....Rest in peace (1964-2002)
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Re: Anthony Hopkins: The oscar process is disgusting

Post by FormerBondFan »

shaken not stirred wrote:http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/oscar-proces ... 40191.html

I know I'm not here much and due to sf I don't want to hear all the praise it's getting so I'll take a break from time to time to keep My stress down but here's Sir Anthony Hopkins thoughts on the oscars and why they're a joke & the guy couldn't have said it any better himself. :cheers:
If Death Star III ends up getting even single nomination (major or technical), then Mr. Hopkins is right.

shaken.....DCINB is still here, and we can use to endorse other franchises.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

There will be 3 nominations pushed by BOAR-bara, the best song, the best supporting actress, and the best picture. I do not know the other songs in the other films so I cannot compare them but Hollywood might reward the new mother Adele, even though her dirge is boring. NO chance the film wins best picture.......NONE..........Dench, from a mercy vote, could win it, but it would be undeservedly so for her acting was trash :down: and Hollywood's academy is a bunch of losers who vote. FBF, it's all over so who cares. MI:5 and Ant-Man and the Hobbit trilogy awaits :!:
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:FBF, it's all over so who cares.
If that's the case, I will stop watching the Oscars for good unless the freaks are being sent in once DC retires.
MI:5 and Ant-Man and the Hobbit trilogy awaits :!:
And Indy 5.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

I saw a thread the other day about how Skyfall tries too hard to be artistic. Barbara is so obsessed with winning awards, and tries to make a big deal over nothing. She continuously has all of these ridiculous artistic symbols inserted into the Bond films, and only some of the forum nerds will care to figure out the meanings to them. The only reason why Barbara can still manage to get away with doing all of this nonsense, is because of her father making James Bond a pop-culture icon worldwide. The James Bond name has a lot of power/recognition thanks to Albert Broccoli.

I don't think Skyfall will be winning any major awards. Adele's song could possibly win an award, but that's about it.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

The Saint 007 wrote:I saw a thread the other day about how Skyfall tries too hard to be artistic. Barbara is so obsessed with winning awards, and tries to make a big deal over nothing. She continuously has all of these ridiculous artistic symbols inserted into the Bond films, and only some of the forum nerds will care to figure out the meanings to them. The only reason why Barbara can still manage to get away with doing all of this nonsense, is because of her father making James Bond a pop-culture icon worldwide. The James Bond name has a lot of power/recognition thanks to Albert Broccoli.

I don't think Skyfall will be winning any major awards. Adele's song could possibly win an award, but that's about it.
I agree. Eon hate the old Bond series but rely on the brand to get people to see the Craig movies. If the Craig movies were not branded as Bonds they would probably flop .
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:I saw a thread the other day about how Skyfall tries too hard to be artistic. Barbara is so obsessed with winning awards, and tries to make a big deal over nothing. She continuously has all of these ridiculous artistic symbols inserted into the Bond films, and only some of the forum nerds will care to figure out the meanings to them. The only reason why Barbara can still manage to get away with doing all of this nonsense, is because of her father making James Bond a pop-culture icon worldwide. The James Bond name has a lot of power/recognition thanks to Albert Broccoli.

I agree. Eon hate the old Bond series but rely on the brand to get people to see the Craig movies. If the Craig movies were not branded as Bonds they would probably flop .
Another thing is that Craig's Bond films don't really have much competition. I was watching a recent Sir Roger Moore interview on YouTube the other day, and one of the top rated comments was this:

He's the only James Bond to actually compete with real movies! His movies were up against Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Return of the Jedi & Rambo 2... all major lifetime blockbusters of all time & Roger's 007 films held their own! Every other 007 they have hid in the fall against nothing! If Daniel Craig is the best 007 put his movies out head to head against the summer blockbuster!

It would be interesting to see how well Craig's Bonds would do against some really decent blockbuster films like Moore's Bonds had to compete with at the time.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Tim's Bond didn't survive during the summer of '89, and everyone knows why.
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

FormerBondFan wrote:Tim's Bond didn't survive during the summer of '89, and everyone knows why.
There were various reasons as to why Licence To Kill didn't do so well. But one of the biggest factors was that it had strong competition from various big movies that summer. Which is why I said before, it would be interesting to see how well Craig's Bond films would do if they went head to head against other blockbuster films.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

The Saint 007 wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:Tim's Bond didn't survive during the summer of '89, and everyone knows why.
There were various reasons as to why Licence To Kill didn't do so well. But one of the biggest factors was that it had strong competition from various big movies that summer. Which is why I said before, it would be interesting to see how well Craig's Bond films would do if they went head to head against other blockbuster films.
Most of the moviegoers thought LTK was more in the likes of violent shows/movies of that time than Bond.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

The Saint 007 wrote:
Thats a point as hollywood gives itself a weeks between films and it helps them to make money. Total Recall got Bourne 4 moved, didn't help either.

I think Tim Dalton's bond ,who is Fleming Bond make no mistake, would crush Craig Bond, I mean head to head same production values. But Bond films seem to be bigger back then in the last 10 year Bond has shrunk in scope and spectacle.
............ :007:
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Omega wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:
Thats a point as hollywood gives itself a weeks between films and it helps them to make money. Total Recall got Bourne 4 moved, didn't help either.

I think Tim Dalton's bond ,who is Fleming Bond make no mistake, would crush Craig Bond, I mean head to head same production values. But Bond films seem to be bigger back then in the last 10 year Bond has shrunk in scope and spectacle.
No way. As much as I love LTK, the public have taken to Craig far more than they ever did Dalton.
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

I think people have warmed up to Dalton's Bond films over the years. Perhaps they were a little ahead of their time.

But it would be cool to have a Dalton versus Craig in a "Battle of the Bonds", similar to Connery versus Moore in 1983.
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

That would never happen now. But if there was a 2nd Bond made with Dalton c.1987 or 1989*, alongside Craig and with the same budget, then the Dalton one would blow the Craig film out of the water.

*Though Dalton had to much respect for the films to make a rival Bond film, this could also have happened back in the 90's (Dalton vs Brosnan).
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Poor Timothy never did click with the audience. He has more charm in his little finger than Daniel, yet somehow the monosyllabic thug does well enough.

I think Sweeney was saying they could bring back Blofeld I don't think they can touch it even to imitate it, whoever has Thunderball rights will miraculously reappear. Maybe if EOn could get the rights then they could remake Thunderball, I don't know if fans would care half a lick after NSNA.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
The Saint 007

Post by The Saint 007 »

I've read somewhere that Kevin McClory had another Thunderball remake planned called Warhead, and apparently Timothy Dalton was considered to play Bond.

Yeah, I also don't get why most audiences didn't take to Dalton, but adore the miserable and thuggish Craig. Some people say that the charming and charismatic types of heroes are dated, and will point to the various problems going on in the world, or all the recent action heroes as to why we need a hardcore Bond that's more cold-blooded and realistic.

But there has always been major problems going on in the world, and there have been plenty of tough action heroes in the past as well. Roger Moore had to compete with the Stallone and Schwarzenegger types of heroes during his run as Bond, and he still did fine with playing the role as the charismatic super spy, and people enjoyed the fun and escapism of the films.
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

The Saint 007 wrote:I've read somewhere that Kevin McClory had another Thunderball remake planned called Warhead, and apparently Timothy Dalton was considered to play Bond.

Yeah, I also don't get why most audiences didn't take to Dalton, but adore the miserable and thuggish Craig. Some people say that the charming and charismatic types of heroes are dated, and will point to the various problems going on in the world, or all the recent action heroes as to why we need a hardcore Bond that's more cold-blooded and realistic.

But there has always been major problems going on in the world, and there have been plenty of tough action heroes in the past as well. Roger Moore had to compete with the Stallone and Schwarzenegger types of heroes during his run as Bond, and he still did fine with playing the role as the charismatic super spy, and people enjoyed the fun and escapism of the films.
But Cubby realised he needed to change things mid 80's, hence why Dalton came in as a more cold-blooded, realistic killer to replace Moore.

I personally don't find that many differences between Craig or Dalton in terms of their portrayals as Bond.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

The Sweeney wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:I've read somewhere that Kevin McClory had another Thunderball remake planned called Warhead, and apparently Timothy Dalton was considered to play Bond.

But Cubby realised he needed to change things mid 80's, hence why Dalton came in as a more cold-blooded, realistic killer to replace Moore.

I personally don't find that many differences between Craig or Dalton in terms of their portrayals as Bond.
I have to defend Dalton honor on this, his Bond is more human while being everything Bond is supposed to be, Craig has yet to play Bond, he keeps "beginning" and not really being Bond yet so he gets a pass on lacking the skills he should have. Dalton day one came to bat knocking it out of the park. Dalton looks and acts like Felming's Bond, Brosnan and Connery are part Fleming's Bond and Cubby's, Craig is Barbara Broccoli's Bond.
............ :007:
bjamesobrad
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball, Goldeneye, The World Is Not Enough, Goldfinger, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies, You Only Live Twice, Die Another Day, Dr. No, The Living Daylights, Live And Let Die, For Your Eyes Only, The Spy Who Loved Me (order subject to change based on mood)
Favorite Movies: The Man With No Name Trilogy, Heat, The Dark Knight, Unforgiven, Star Wars, Cobra

Post by bjamesobrad »

Omega wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:

I have to defend Dalton honor on this, his Bond is more human while being everything Bond is supposed to be, Craig has yet to play Bond, he keeps "beginning" and not really being Bond yet so he gets a pass on lacking the skills he should have. Dalton day one came to bat knocking it out of the park. Dalton looks and acts like Felming's Bond, Brosnan and Connery are part Fleming's Bond and Cubby's, Craig is Barbara Broccoli's Bond.

I'd agree with Omega but would also say Connery is Terrence Youngs Bond
Rest in Peace
James Bond
November 14, 2006
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

bjamesobrad wrote:
Omega wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:

I'd agree with Omega but would also say Connery is Terrence Youngs Bond
Terrence and Ian's 007.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer