Daniel Craig is a great Bond

John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Re: Daniel Craig is a great Bond

Post by John P. Drake »

Kristatos wrote:
JackJamesBond007 wrote:
Gala Brand wrote:"Look, heroes are not meant to be emotional."

Too bad nobody told old Bill Shakespeare that. His characters emote all over the place.

There is a 3,000-year tradition in Western Literature as to what it means to be a hero. It dates back to at least the Iliad (that preceded even Batman). Come to think of it Achilles got quiuuute emotional at the death of Patroclus.
Let me get this straight:

"Look, I don't want to see my heroes sweat or struggle, or get upset, or have dilemmas. I just want to see them swing in, smack the crap out the badguys, crack a pun or too, then disappear, smiling at the knowledge they've done a good job. Leave emotional dilemma to Shakespeare".

--Frank Miller on the modern pussified media.

I didn't make this up, if you don't believe me, google it. Miller's own words, and yes, I'm a massive Frank Miller fan.
Well, the hero has to have *some* struggles. The story would be pretty boring if he was never in any danger.
Not in my opinion. The hero should just do his job, without thinking about something else. That's what Classic Bond was. Have you ever seen Connery or Moore or Brosnan "struggling" because of their emotions or feelings? I have not. Or let's talk about Clint Eastwood and his characters, namely The Man With No Name and Dirty Harry, have you ever seen them "struggling"? I have not, as well. They dominate the villain they are after, Classic Bond was the same. Like Miller, said "Leave emotional dilemma to Shakespeare". And a hero does suppress his emotions and feelings (I'm talking about us. Men) for his own good. A hero doesn't say "I love you but I can't be with you because of my job", that's not a hero, that's a pussy. A hero simply responds "I'm in my element; lead", if you know what I mean. That's what a hero does, you get to feel that you're watching a heroic character who dominates the evil, and dodges their attack with pithy one liners. They kill someone and then crack a joke. You can't deny it, can you?
Gala Brand
Lieutenant

Post by Gala Brand »

How does one tell the good guys from the bad guys in Mr. Miller's world?
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

Gala Brand wrote:How does one tell the good guys from the bad guys in Mr. Miller's world?
If you focus on the story, you can find that out, that's not a hard thing. If you can't be violent in front of the evil, then you are not a contender at all, the evil will take you down in Mr. Miller's world. Trust me, I have almost every issue of his Batman series and I've read them all countless times and I do still read them. And what I see in his Batman is the ultimate hero real men want to be. It's as simple as that.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Are you seriously telling me that Batman never struggled or sweated in The Dark Knight Returns? Or Bond in, say, Goldfinger when he had a frigging laser pointed at his crotch? Drama is struggle, there would be no tension in a story where Bond or Batman or whoever simply tracked down the villain, beat him up and then went home. Miller is talking hyperbolically, his actual stories contain struggle and conflict. If they didn't, nobody would want to read or watch them.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

Bond is only as interesting as the villains he faces and the adventures he goes on. Having a certain amount of character depth is okay, but if the films focus too much on character exploration it just becomes boring.
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

Kristatos wrote:Are you seriously telling me that Batman never struggled or sweated in The Dark Knight Returns? Or Bond in, say, Goldfinger when he had a frigging laser pointed at his crotch? Drama is struggle, there would be no tension in a story where Bond or Batman or whoever simply tracked down the villain, beat him up and then went home. Miller is talking hyperbolically, his actual stories contain struggle and conflict. If they didn't, nobody would want to read or watch them.
Batman struggled in The Dark Knight Returns because of the hard times he faced, he was ageing, but he defeated Bane and he was STILL manly despite his age. Bond, in Goldfinger when a laser was pointed at him, was caught in fear, but he never went "over the top" pussy. He never lost his manliness in there, he foreplayed Goldfinger and succeeded, just like it happens in a gambling game with someone who's bluffing. Bond bluffed with his "knowledge" of Operation Grandslam, and he succeeded in preventing Goldfinger from killing him. So, that is all. Bond struggled, but not with his emotions, just the critical situation he was in, that was obvious thing, wouldn't you say?
The Saint 007 wrote:Bond is only as interesting as the villains he faces and the adventures he goes on. Having a certain amount of character depth is okay, but if the films focus too much on character exploration it just becomes boring.
Agreed. Totally agreed.
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

Daniel Craig is a great Bond? [panto] Oh no he isn't![/panto] :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

kater23 wrote:Daniel Craig is a great Bond? [panto] Oh no he isn't![/panto] :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
I didn't know he was Bond. LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Live and Let Die; The Man with the Golden Gun; On Her Majesty's Secret Service; the Spy Who Loved Me; Dr. No.
Favorite Movies: The Omega Man; Shane; in the Heat of the Night; The Pawnbroker; Solaris (1972); Walkabout; Serpico; Once Upon a Time in the West...

Post by Jim »

I think Craig is a terribly drab Bond. Like a sort of just discovered my navel and suchlike, do what I fuckin' want, pre-puberty Bond. And Skyfall is, well, there's a useful four letter word, and Skyfall is all of it.
Just ease back now, Jim. Relaaax. Mr. Big wants to see you.
shaken not stirred
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, the spy who loved Me, the world is not enough, goldfinger, live and let die.
Favorite Movies: Iron man,Iron man 2, avengers, goldeneye, dark city, back to the future, live and let die.

Post by shaken not stirred »

Jim wrote:I think Craig is a terribly drab Bond. Like a sort of just discovered my navel and suchlike, do what I fuckin' want, pre-puberty Bond. And Skyfall is, well, there's a useful four letter word, and Skyfall is all of it.
This bond sucks all the fun and likeability out of the character, whoopie soul searching stories about how bond cried as a little boy or how he hated the skyfall lodge and feels like bruce wayne and woways me, what is wrong with the bond producers today, money, money, money, give me back the beeping charm, wit, hot women, ott villains...no ofc you wont here's more drab bond feeling sorry for himself and letting everyone walk all over him and that crap about bond having secrets...woooh how exciting....secrets work in certain franchises but not bond (unless it's an awesome villains secret base).

I'll stick with the marvel films and watch Downey Junior play a proper bond instead of this shakespearian bollocks, I'm tired of being nice about this, the world has now become a sad pathetic place that thinks reality tv, kim kardashian, bieber are the bees knees and angsty, pc, emo drek like this is fun...excuse Me whilst I throw up in the corner and look on amazon to get the complete bond collection pre-craig where I had fond memories that weren't tainted and ruined to fit as a bourne clone, most people are sick of nolans crap (bar inception) I hated the emo knight series or man of steels I hate my life superman.

Marvel is where it's at for escapism today along with kingsman, man from uncle, bond is nothing but bond in name, it's souless, drab, gutter trash that should for 10 years be put out of its misery and re-evaluated to how it once was, I don't give a d**n about the literal bond, I want movie bond, not someone to relate to, I want to be bond, live his life not hate the guy and wish he was killed off in skyfall (hey I survived an impossible drop, bled to death and it was never explained...but lets bitch about an invisible car (which is actually bloody possible (as top gear proved), exploding pen, pah childish, let's have bond tell a campy villain who almost molested him it's not his first time, have money penny a field agent, q a bumbling idiot who's a hacker and no gadget master, also bond girls why are they even here anymore, bond now doesn't care less, he let those people die in that motel in skyfall when he could've easily intervined.

Bond is nothing but a complete sociopath now, who cares for nothing at all, kill this character off and let that be the end for a very long time, craig will be bond till the day I die....and that's really depressing, what's so interesting about this crass, evil, horrible bond , someone please tell Me?, why do so many people flock to this crap, this stupid film will do big numbers once again, it will once again be called da flemings bond and yus just a hate ennit, bond is just a lost pathetic cause today.

I may have aspergers and be 19 stone (and be ashamed of it), but you know what I'd do a hell of a much better job as bond then craig and I'd wear it on My sleeve and My hair is dark and the rest.
Bond....James bond....Rest in peace (1964-2002)
ml94
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: GOLDFINGER, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, GOLDENEYE.
Favorite Movies: T2 & THE DARK KNIGHT.

Post by ml94 »

HE IS NOT BOND. :cuss:
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

The Saint 007 wrote:Craig has been involved with some of the creative decision, but I don't put the entire blame on him. While I don't care for Craig's portrayal of Bond, my hostility for the producers is far greater. They've abandoned pretty much everything that made the series so cool and unique.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, TimothyBrosnan. :cheers:

Here here! :cheers: you are totally right
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

ml94 wrote:HE IS NOT BOND. :cuss:
He never was. But then again, I wouldn't blame him, but Amy Pascal and Barbara Broccoli for it. :lol:
shaken not stirred
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, the spy who loved Me, the world is not enough, goldfinger, live and let die.
Favorite Movies: Iron man,Iron man 2, avengers, goldeneye, dark city, back to the future, live and let die.

Post by shaken not stirred »

New bond to old bond is what tab clear is to coca-cola.
Bond....James bond....Rest in peace (1964-2002)