Pierce Brosnan was the best 007

FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Re: Pierce Brosnan was the best 007

Post by FormerBondFan »

John P. Drake wrote:You may hate this, FBF, but after having read John Rogers' script for the unproduced Thomas Crown Affair sequel, it's regrettable that Brosnan never got the chance to film it because it was really evolved from the 1999 film, containing action scenes as well. There are two hand-to-hand combat scenes and one intense car chase at the climactic finale. It was James Bond and Bruce Wayne merged into one. In one scene, Thomas Crown wallops one of his rivals even.
If I wanted TC2, it should've been released in 2009 at the latest, and if I wanted a post-Bond actioner, I want something original and fresh. We may have November Man, but just like any post-GE works he did (unfortunately), it fell in the realm of not-so-good reviews/ratings or not getting the recognition they deserve.
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

With NM, Brosnan really went after the wrong franchise. He should’ve picked something more colorful and exciting, not a poor man’s John Le Carre efforts.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

John P. Drake wrote:With NM, Brosnan really went after the wrong franchise. He should’ve picked something more colorful and exciting, not a poor man’s John Le Carre efforts.
I still think Pierce is perfect for something like The Rock but without someone like Michael Bay.
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

John P. Drake wrote:With NM, Brosnan really went after the wrong franchise. He should’ve picked something more colorful and exciting, not a poor man’s John Le Carre efforts.
Agreed. I didn't even think it was a poor man's le Carre because then it would have more complications and finesse. In my eyes NM was just a grim action thriller that never really goes anywhere.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Actually NM was QOS better done with a coherent script on a less than $30 million budget. Unfortunately not having bond under he belt hurt the chances to make TC2, if NM had success it could have jumped started it, or if he had made CR in 2004-5 Sony probably would have jumped at TC2.

The rock was one of the few times the role an actor is famous form really played a part in the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

TC2 didn't have anything related to Brosnan's departure from Bond, actually. The first script was written and submitted by John Rogers in 2007. It's just that when there was a massive change in regime from the MGM studios back then, both Paul Verhoeven (who was set to direct) and Brosnan left the project, terminating the 2009 release date.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

There are all kinds of stories about Brosnan trying get TC2 made he was talking to Sony about it a month before Craig was announced as bond, it was when Sony asked him to come back as Bond for CR.
I do think Brosnan losing the role made studios less likely to take chance on his project. At one point recently there were two possible TC2, Brosnan which NM failing killed off and I think the TC director who was pretty much going to reboot it but I think he ended up going to jail for something.

John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

Yes, John McTiernan did time. Although, I don't recall his suggestion to reboot it. While in prison, he wrote a script called Thomas Crown and The Missing Lioness with Brosnan in mind, unrelated to the Topkapi-inspired script delivered by John Rogers previously. However, a reboot television series for Thomas Crown is being developed as of 2016, and Michael B. Jordan of the Creed fame is set to star as the titular character.

As for Brosnan, I really don't know what's the story behind his derailment from the mainstream films. Past The Ghost Writer, he kept appearing in countless worthless B-Movies nobody will remember. I'm getting the impression he's not fond of action films, otherwise, he would've gone full Liam Neeson instead of appearing in films like Salvation Boulvard.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

As i recall mctiernan wanted to go a different direction without Brosnan then again he was kind of crazy trying to keep his ranch from the bank and talking like he was about to make a huge comeback, I don’t think he’s made a movie since rollerball.

John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

He did Basic in 2003 with John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson.

Such a shame really because McTiernan was a very decent director in his heyday.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

True. He was one of my top five to direct a bond movie.
Now directors like Nolan are to top of everybody’s list. Nolan is a good director but I wonder if the fanboys who want him have really watched his movies closely. There are about 5 actors that he always uses assuming he doesn’t make Hardy bond these actors will be in the background. I think bond fans want a dark knight trilogy but for bond in the worst way, inception was a very good homage to OHMSS but still a lot of weird story telling there. Which was the point but I think he might bring a lot more unconventional things to bond than most assume he would.

John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

Same here. McTiernan and Verhoeven have always been on my list to direct Bond films, because these two knew how to handle action and drama in balance.

Personally, I'd rather Nolan never gets to direct a Bond film, because I can only assume it'd make the godawful Sam Mendes efforts look like traditional Bond movies. Nolan was very good pre-TDK, especially when films like Memento had stellar storytelling without pretentious crapfest he seems to be forcing every since TDK, and his pseudo-intellectuals are buying into it blindfolded.

Inception had an interesting premise, but The Matrix got there first. Other than some of the great homage setpieces, Nolan can't handle action scenes. His stunt and fight choreography are quite weak. Looking back to Batman's combat fights in Nolan's trilogy, he's too slow and unconvincing. That's why he should never come anywhere near Bond. He'd ruin it furthermore.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

John P. Drake wrote:As for Brosnan, I really don't know what's the story behind his derailment from the mainstream films. Past The Ghost Writer, he kept appearing in countless worthless B-Movies nobody will remember. I'm getting the impression he's not fond of action films, otherwise, he would've gone full Liam Neeson instead of appearing in films like Salvation Boulvard.
If this is the case, then the Pierce we know and grew up watching is dead.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

FormerBondFan wrote:
John P. Drake wrote:As for Brosnan, I really don't know what's the story behind his derailment from the mainstream films. Past The Ghost Writer, he kept appearing in countless worthless B-Movies nobody will remember. I'm getting the impression he's not fond of action films, otherwise, he would've gone full Liam Neeson instead of appearing in films like Salvation Boulvard.
I don’t see that at all. IMO he taking the Connery rout doing everything that seems interesting and keeping working.
Before bond he was a tv star. Today in a very changed Hollywood he’s a movie star and prestige tv series star.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:
I don’t see that at all. IMO he taking the Connery rout doing everything that seems interesting and keeping working.
Before bond he was a tv star. Today in a very changed Hollywood he’s a movie star and prestige tv series star.
People age and people change. I'm rather glad he didn't go the Liam Neeson route. Liam was a serious actor who reinvented himself as an action star, whereas Pierce was an action star who reinvented himself as an interesting character actor, even if he doesn't have a Schindler's List in his CV. If he had just gone on playing Bond-type roles into his sixties, he would look like a sad old has-been desperately clinging on to past glories. As it is, he has earned some respect even from people who didn't rate him as Bond.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

But like John P. said, Pierce is doing all that uninspired crap that nobody wants to waste their time on though I will give The Son a second chance. By the way, I do enjoy The Son, but it didn't have the wow factor.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Every actor has a few turkeys in their filmography. But at least Pierce also has Seraphim Falls, The Ghost Writer, The Foreigner etc, as well as smaller parts in films like The World's End.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

FormerBondFan wrote:
You do realise you are talking about this in a rather overdramatic way?
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Kristatos wrote:Every actor has a few turkeys in their filmography. But at least Pierce also has Seraphim Falls, The Ghost Writer, The Foreigner etc, as well as smaller parts in films like The World's End.
I also quite liked Married life . Underrated movie with great cast.
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

Veronica wrote:
Kristatos wrote:Every actor has a few turkeys in their filmography. But at least Pierce also has Seraphim Falls, The Ghost Writer, The Foreigner etc, as well as smaller parts in films like The World's End.
I also quite liked Married life . Underrated movie with great cast.
Agreed. Married Life is a great film.