Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Gemma Arterton wants you to look past her looks

Post by Blowfeld »

Gemma Arterton will do the occasional blockbuster, such as "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time," but only has a means to do more dramatically challenging work in independent films.
ANDREW COOPER, SMPSP, DISNEY ENTERPRISES, INC. AND JERRY BRUCKHEIMER, INC.
When British beauty Gemma Arterton was picked to make love to James Bond in "Quantum of Solace," and later to play princess to Jake Gyllenhaal's "Prince of Persia," she suddenly attracted a lot of media attention.

One enterprising tabloid journalist knocked on her grandmother's door and asked if she had any childhood photos of the actress.

The elderly woman obliged, and turned over dozens of potentially embarrassing family photos. Although Arterton now is arguably one of the most beautiful women in the world, the memory of having those unflattering photos splashed across the front pages of England's notorious tabloid newspapers is still painful.

Sipping green tea in a corner booth in a West Hollywood hotel restaurant, the 24-year-old actress winced as she spoke of her first brush with fame, and then explained how she has reconciled her classical stage background with being a Bond girl, and then starring in a big-budget, Jerry Bruckheimer-produced, summer action movie.

In "Prince of Persia," which opens Friday, Arterton plays the princess of a holy city who joins forces with the dashing prince of ancient Persia to protect a magical dagger that can release the "Sands of Time," which is not necessarily a good thing.

ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER: Throughout my career, I have had problems with people not taking me seriously because of my great beauty. How about you?

GEMMA ARTERTON (laughs very hard).

Q. You didn't have to laugh so hard.

A. (still laughing). I'm sorry.

Q. It's OK; I'm used to it. But have you ever had that problem?

A. Yes. Well, I'm not saying I'm a great beauty, but I'm definitely fighting that thing. In fact, I just made another movie about that very subject. It was directed by Stephen Frears, and it's called "Tamara Drewe." It was shown at Cannes last night, and I play a journalist who finds it hard to be taken seriously because of her looks.

Q. So, you personally have run into this?

A. You do have to prove yourself.

Q. How do you do that?

A. I've made sure, while doing these big movies, to make other smaller films that challenge me, as well as theater. Not everyone will see those movies or plays, but anyone who cares enough will see them and know that I have more to offer.

Q. There is a shocking rumor floating on the web that the "Quantum of Solace" people initially didn't think you were hot enough for the role. Is that true?

A. No, it wasn't the people who made the movie; it was the fans. James Bond is such a massive deal, and there hadn't been a Bond girl in a while, so it was an even bigger deal. I got letters saying I wasn't hot enough.

Q. How did you deal with the insults?

A . I took it to mean that maybe I was too serious an actress for them. In a way, I understand how they felt. I don't see myself as that type of girl. I don't understand why anyone casts me in these kinds of films. When they cast me in "Prince of Persia," my first thought was "Why didn't they cast Natalie Portman or Freida Pinto? These are the kinds of beautiful actresses who should get these roles."

Q. What was the sequence of events in how you were cast in these two big movies?

A. I had filmed "Quantum," but it hadn't come out yet, so nobody here in the United States knew who I was. But I was just starting to get a little name for myself in the U.K. Jerry (Bruckheimer) took a big chance on me with the help of the producers of the Bond film, who were nice enough to send him clips of me from "Quantum." They had a lot of faith in me. It was amazing to get that kind of support.

Q. You graduated from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts, you've done Shakespeare on stage and you have appeared in some well-received small films, such as "St. Trinian's" and "Tess of the D'Urbervilles." Is it OK that you are appearing in these blockbusters?

A. I find it really hard to get my head around it. I think there is a realistic part of me that understands that these roles don't come around very often, especially for a British girl. And that same realistic part of me is always thinking about future roles. So I hope that by doing something like this, it might help me get a role in an obscure movie that wouldn't get made without my name recognition. But I never expected to do movies like this.

Q. So, you don't want to make a habit of it, but they're a means to an end?

A. Exactly. Sometimes, you watch someone in a movie like this and wonder why they're always making movies like this. I don't want people to think that this is all I do. Since I've finished "Prince of Persia," I've made a conscious effort to make smaller films, which was only possible because I made these big films. It's a vicious cycle.

Q. Is it a fear of type-casting?

A. Of course. A good actor doesn't want to limit themselves. The exciting thing about acting is the choice of playing around with different genres. You want to do everything.

Q. So, what are you doing to avoid being seen as a big-movie actress?

A. As soon as I finished "Prince of Persia," I knew I had to shake off the Hollywood glamour bit, so I went into this tiny movie ("The Disappearance of Alice Creed") that hasn't come out here yet, but is getting some nice notices. My agents begged me not to do it because there was nudity and I'm strapped to a bed most of the time, but it was so different and I knew I could do it. Other people don't know what you can do until you show them.

Q. It's really important to you not to be taken lightly, isn't it?

A. I couldn't live with myself if I was going down the Jennifer Aniston route. I'm sure she's very happy doing those movies, but my dream was always to do great movies.

Q. Even though you don't want to do a lot of these big-budget movies, are they fun to do?

A. Oh, to be in a Bruckheimer film is grand and magical. It's everything you imagine movie-making is about when you're a kid.

Q. What about the weather conditions? I heard you were filming in Morocco in 120-degree weather?

A. I'm from the U.K., where it's dull, gray and cold all the time, so I loved being in the heat. My family are working-class people who never complain, so I never complain. The most difficult thing about being there was the pressure to perform in this type of movie. I felt out of my depth. I didn't know what I was doing. I'm much more comfortable on stage. Besides, I was the only girl, and I was surrounded by all these giants of Hollywood.

Q. Did you rough it on the set?

A. Oh no, you stay in a beautiful hotel, and you're treated like a princess. You get loads of money to spend. They gave my first per diem, and I asked them if this was for the whole shoot, and they said it was for the week. My family came out to see me, and the per diem paid for everything.

Q. Are you very critical of yourself when you watch your films?

A. Tremendously critical. It could be 10 years before I appreciate my work in this film. I kept watching it and wondering what I was doing in it. It's such a glamorous film, and I'm so not glamorous.

Q. You're not one of those actresses who swear that she was unattractive when she was growing up, are you?

A. I was definitely an ugly duckling.

Q. Come on.

A. Haven't you seen those horrible pictures of me on the Internet? My nan, god bless her soul, was quite delusional before she died. She was so proud of me and when a journalist came to the door, she handed over a massive family album. Of course, they selected the worst photos of me to run, including one of me at 6 with the mumps. Another one was of me at 14 developing quite chunky. It still hurts to think about those photos.

Q. Well, that's one way to keep you grounded.

A. Whenever things go too well, I think about those photos, and that brings me back to Earth.
This story can be found at Arterton wants you to look past her looks
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Re: Gemma Arterton wants you to look past her looks

Post by carl stromberg »

Gemma Arterton will do the occasional blockbuster, such as "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time," but only has a means to do more dramatically challenging work in independent films.
I think the cash is probably a motivation too!
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote: Gemma Arterton will do the occasional blockbuster, such as "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time," but only has a means to do more dramatically challenging work in independent films.
Independent films like Tamara Drewe, presumably. The promotional photo for which looks like this:

Yes, that'll help you see past her looks, all right.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

Posting pictures of her in totty getups doesn't help things much. :?
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

Never been a fan.
Nothing special. Certainly nothing special in QOS, the covered in oil homage to GF was ridiculous.
Now she's in every other movie going.
She must be sore. :wink:
katied

Post by katied »

The phrase T &A always seems to come to mind when I see pictures of her like the one posted.That's not a compliment, Gemma. :oops:
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

katied

Post by katied »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:Image
Those are what are known in the buisness as "booty shorts". If she's looking to be taken seriously, she might want to avoid clothes like that. Not saying she should wear a burqua..but booty shorts project a certain image. :twisted:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Well, to be fair to her, the booty shorts are in character for Tamara Drewe, or so I've heard. I haven't seen the film, but from the reviews I've read, I understand that the character is supposed to be a little bit trashy, for want of a better word.
katied

Post by katied »

She has tried more serious roles-she was in a TV movie of Tess Of The D'Ubervilles. It wasn't very good. I dunno, she's just not a very good actress,IMO . :x
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Interesting quote from her in the Quotes of the Year section in Venue (local Bristol/Bath listings mag).
I started off with a really shitty film and had to work my way up through lots of other shitty films until I finally did a really good film.
She was talking about Tamara Drewe, which she made this year, ie after QOS.
katied

Post by katied »

Kristatos wrote:Interesting quote from her in the Quotes of the Year section in Venue (local Bristol/Bath listings mag).
I started off with a really shitty film and had to work my way up through lots of other shitty films until I finally did a really good film.
Interesting. She needs to keep her mouth shut. :twisted:
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

katied wrote:
Kristatos wrote:Interesting quote from her in the Quotes of the Year section in Venue (local Bristol/Bath listings mag).
Niiice. Has Craig heard about that? With the temper he has, he might bitch-slap her or something. Blood, blood, blood!! :007: lol
"Are we on coms?"
katied

Post by katied »

I hear Prince of Persia is :down: And not just because she's involved with it! :twisted:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote:I hear Prince of Persia is :down: And not just because she's involved with it! :twisted:
Isn't it a Michael Bay film? If so, nuff said.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote:
I find it far more entertaining when she doesn't.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

Kristatos wrote:
katied wrote:
LOL! I think that was sarcastic! :twisted: Especially given her statements :D
"Are we on coms?"
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Ale wrote:
Kristatos wrote:
katied wrote:
LOL! I think that was sarcastic! :twisted: Especially given her statements :D
She was the one that broke the story about Dan's shoe-lifts, as I recall.
katied

Post by katied »

Yes, she did blab about the shoe lifts, much to Craig's chagrin,I'm sure!
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

katied wrote:Yes, she did blab about the shoe lifts, much to Craig's chagrin,I'm sure!
It's an age old trick in the movie business. Understandable that it's a point of ribbing from the good forum folk here of course.
Though on a professional level Ms. Arterton should be more subtle.
Having seen her acting ability, and the amount of films she's popped up in, I wonder if her acting is what's won her some of her roles, or more likely that gob of hers.
If ya know what I mean. :wink: