Would CR have made as much money without Craig?

Skywalker
Favorite Bond Movie: Live and Let Die
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Quantum of Solace.......Hmmm
Favorite Movies: Batman Begins
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens
Location: On the side of truth and honesty. No room for sheep - just shepherds.

Post by Skywalker »

The Sweeney wrote:
Skywalker wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:
What was your criticism of the film? The direction? Fair enough, you didn't like the direction, I did. You may prefer more OTT Bond films, outlandish gadgets, more one-liners. I personally don't.

It's all a matter of taste. I don't know what else you want me to say here in answer to criticism of CR.....
The one-liners, gadgets and the OTT sequences are a major part of the film franchise. I do personally enjoy these factors, but I also enjoy the dark, gritty sequences that all also essential parts of the films.

You seem to be (I could be wrong) a decent person who has good debating skills. Please use them.

I want you to post why you enjoyed the film and why you consider DC to be a good Bond. Then we can contest these issues properly. :wink:
Thanks for the compliment.

I have always been more a fan of the novels than the films, and hated it when the films have strayed too far away from Fleming. My favourite films are FRWL, GF, OHMSS and LTK, so this should give you an idea of my particular taste in films.

I was excited when Brosnan was picked as Bond, but unfortunately his films never lived up to my expectations. They just weren't serious enough. Another reason why I'm not particularly keen on the Moore films either. And I felt with each Brosnan film, they were declining rapidly, until they reached DAD with the final insult.

After I came out of DAD, I had enough of the franchise. I thought EON had killed Bond forever. To make matters worse, watching films like Bourne, I became even more dismayed. `That is how Bond should be!' I said to myself after watching the Bourne films.

And when the announcement came out that Craig was the new Bond, I thought `Oh great, now they've even screwed the casting up too!'

It wasn't until I started hearing noises that the film would be a return to Fleming, more down-to-earth, back-to-basics, gritty, CGI-less, and more in the style of Bourne and Batman that I started to gain interest in Bond again. And slowly I grew to like the idea of Craig's casting, especially after seeing some of the released pics on the web.

The film itself is everything I dreamed Bond should have been. Gadget minimum, bloody after a brutal fight, scarred, no-nonsense, dark, edgy, not OTT, humour minimum, violent and above all, refers constantly to Fleming material.

These things I felt were missing with Brosnan's films. CR follows straight off the back of where LTK finished - only moreso.

Regarding Craig himself, he just seemed more believable in the role. He physically looked like someone who could kill. I never felt this with Brosnan. Craig looks like someone you wouldn't want to mess with, and I felt this is something that has been lacking since Connery/Lazenby.
Thanks for that.

I really enjoyed reading your reply. It was refreshing to read a well constructed opinion that states your Bond style preference and why you considered DC to have been a good Bond.

I've already posted my personal opinion of DC as Bond and his performance in CR.

FRWL, GF and OHMSS are 3 of my favourite Bond films along with LALD. All 4 of these films had the special Bond Aura which I felt was sadly missing in CR.
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Skywalker wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:
Skywalker wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:
What was your criticism of the film? The direction? Fair enough, you didn't like the direction, I did. You may prefer more OTT Bond films, outlandish gadgets, more one-liners. I personally don't.

It's all a matter of taste. I don't know what else you want me to say here in answer to criticism of CR.....
The one-liners, gadgets and the OTT sequences are a major part of the film franchise. I do personally enjoy these factors, but I also enjoy the dark, gritty sequences that all also essential parts of the films.

You seem to be (I could be wrong) a decent person who has good debating skills. Please use them.

I want you to post why you enjoyed the film and why you consider DC to be a good Bond. Then we can contest these issues properly. :wink:
Thanks for the compliment.

I have always been more a fan of the novels than the films, and hated it when the films have strayed too far away from Fleming. My favourite films are FRWL, GF, OHMSS and LTK, so this should give you an idea of my particular taste in films.

I was excited when Brosnan was picked as Bond, but unfortunately his films never lived up to my expectations. They just weren't serious enough. Another reason why I'm not particularly keen on the Moore films either. And I felt with each Brosnan film, they were declining rapidly, until they reached DAD with the final insult.

After I came out of DAD, I had enough of the franchise. I thought EON had killed Bond forever. To make matters worse, watching films like Bourne, I became even more dismayed. `That is how Bond should be!' I said to myself after watching the Bourne films.

And when the announcement came out that Craig was the new Bond, I thought `Oh great, now they've even screwed the casting up too!'

It wasn't until I started hearing noises that the film would be a return to Fleming, more down-to-earth, back-to-basics, gritty, CGI-less, and more in the style of Bourne and Batman that I started to gain interest in Bond again. And slowly I grew to like the idea of Craig's casting, especially after seeing some of the released pics on the web.

The film itself is everything I dreamed Bond should have been. Gadget minimum, bloody after a brutal fight, scarred, no-nonsense, dark, edgy, not OTT, humour minimum, violent and above all, refers constantly to Fleming material.

These things I felt were missing with Brosnan's films. CR follows straight off the back of where LTK finished - only moreso.

Regarding Craig himself, he just seemed more believable in the role. He physically looked like someone who could kill. I never felt this with Brosnan. Craig looks like someone you wouldn't want to mess with, and I felt this is something that has been lacking since Connery/Lazenby.
Thanks for that.

I really enjoyed reading your reply. It was refreshing to read a well constructed opinion that states your Bond style preference and why you considered DC to have been a good Bond.

I've already posted my personal opinion of DC as Bond and his performance in CR.

FRWL, GF and OHMSS are 3 of my favourite Bond films along with LALD. All 4 of these films had the special Bond Aura which I felt was sadly missing in CR.
Well you've got great taste in Bond films too then.

You never know, another couple of viewings and CR might actually grow on you.... :wink: