Face it chaps. You will feel better.

katied

Re: Face it chaps. You will feel better.

Post by katied »

CR will be on for the third straight night here on the USA network. :shock: Too bad you cannot watch it 4 nights straight in the UK on tv as is being shown here.
I know in the States movies can be shown on TV after they've been out for 2 years or so. Not sure if that's the case elsewhere,though.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote: I know in the States movies can be shown on TV after they've been out for 2 years or so. Not sure if that's the case elsewhere,though.
It's slightly different in the UK (or at least it was when I lived there). In Britain, films usually appear on the premium movie channels after 18 months or so, then on network TV after 3 years. They don't go to basic cable first the way they do here.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
jimmyjazz
New Recruit

Post by jimmyjazz »

well here goes. I've never posted images on a forum before. (never posted messages come to think of it). Hope this works.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Wow, that brought back some memories. It was like being transported back to my childhood. Looking at the Saturday morning TV listings, I'm guessing this is BSS (before Swap Shop),
jimmyjazz
New Recruit

Post by jimmyjazz »

Hey it worked!!!

Well, first off thanks to my mum and step sister who spent less than an hour scanning microfilms in clitheroe libuary of back issues of the local paper to justify my claims. God bless 'em. and not an internet connection in sight... research using legs and photofilm. There is hope.

Thankyou to sweeney for improving my IT skills and backing me up.

There is your evidence as far the screening dates are concerned. It backs up my claims to being a Bond fanatic who knows what he is talking about. However Katied will probably still doubt that I attended the screenings as she predicted that my parents might have gone to them instead of yours truely. I really don't want to go to all the trouble of scanning my birth certificate to prove my age.....please no! But I will if needed. This has become a weird hobby.

My dates were all wrong were they??

I did apologise for my nasty comments to katied of last night. It was quite easy to say sorry and I ment it. I could have apologised privately to the moderator who sent me my warning and nobody would have seen. But I prefered to say sorry in public.

Those members who jumped down my throat about my dates being wrong, about the authenticity of my claims, ( which I never gave a second thought to when I made them by the way), about my 'bulls**t' etc.

Have you got the balls to apologise to me.....
Last edited by jimmyjazz on Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jimmyjazz
New Recruit

Post by jimmyjazz »

hello kristatos

Just about swap shop time I think. I remember swap shop coming to clitheroe, in winter. I remember chegwin being hit by a snow ball live on air and everyone in town claiming they threw it.

Note how there are only 3 TV stations. No channel 4 never mind freeview. Would love to catch up with the social club acts and hear their stories. The man with the golden gun is doing the rounds.

I could quite happily scan these newspapers for the rest of my life. How simple and un digital life was.

and everyone went to bed when the BBC said so. There's a society that looks after its people!
katied

Post by katied »

Kristatos wrote:Wow, that brought back some memories. It was like being transported back to my childhood. Looking at the Saturday morning TV listings, I'm guessing this is BSS (before Swap Shop),

Seeing Escape From Witch Mountain -the original, not the crappy remake with The Rock- in the movie listings is a blast from the past. :up:
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

jimmyjazz wrote:well here goes. I've never posted images on a forum before. (never posted messages come to think of it). Hope this works.

Jimmy:this page says in 1975 TMWTGG was being shown.It was released in 1974. Where is YOLT here? Did I miss seeing it?
katied

Post by katied »

BJ, it's definitely on there.

Jimmy, I owe you an apology.:up:
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

bjmdds wrote:
jimmyjazz wrote:well here goes. I've never posted images on a forum before. (never posted messages come to think of it). Hope this works.

Jimmy:this page says in 1975 TMWTGG was being shown.It was released in 1974. Where is YOLT here? Did I miss seeing it?
It's highlighted in the red box.

Katied has had the decency to apologise. BJ, your turn......
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Have a drink with the Sweeney.
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

bjmdds wrote:Have a drink with the Sweeney.
That's still not an apology from you.

Are you going to do the decent thing, or are you going to behave like a member from another forum which you hate so dearly..... :wink:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Have some curry with The Sweeney....
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Sweeney's doing his Paxman again. :wink:

The Cricket in the old newspaper was the Third Ashes Test between England and Australia in Leeds. England 288 (Steele 73, Gilmour 6-86) & 291 (Steele 92). Australia 135 (Edmonds 5-28) & 220-2 (McCosker 95). The match was drawn. Just in case anyone is interested. If you want to watch this years England V Australia cricket, you will have to pay £50 a month to Sky TV. :cuss:
Bring back Bond!
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Welcome to the forum....
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

The Sweeney wrote:
bjmdds wrote:Have a drink with the Sweeney.
That's still not an apology from you.

Are you going to do the decent thing, or are you going to behave like a member from another forum which you hate so dearly..... :wink:
BJ refuses to acknowledge that Craig is a popular Bond among the public without claiming that they've gone utterly insane. Let him be skeptical. :P

As for why TMWTGG is still showing in 1975. 1) It was released in December, of course it'll continue well after New Years, 2) showings of new films lasted much longer in the old days than it does today. Keep in mind that this was well a decade before home video hit the market.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

jimmyjazz wrote:Note how there are only 3 TV stations. No channel 4 never mind freeview.
No home video either. Looking at the age of the films being shown on TV then, it's no wonder the Connery Bonds were still being re-released in cinemas.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Who knows what numbers Connery's Bond films would have done in the 1960s if they had multiplex theatres and DVDs then?
katied

Post by katied »

I noticed there's an ad for the Disney Peter Pan on the page Jimmyjazz posted- when I was a kid it seemed like they rereleased a LOT of the Disney films-I remember going to to see Fantasia and the 101 Dalmatians among other movies. :up:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote:I noticed there's an ad for the Disney Peter Pan on the page Jimmyjazz posted- when I was a kid it seemed like they rereleased a LOT of the Disney films-I remember going to to see Fantasia and the 101 Dalmatians among other movies. :up:
Disney for a long time had a policy of not allowing their films to be shown on TV so they could get continuing income from cinema re-releases. I remember what a huge event it was when the first Disney movie was shown on British television - and that was one of the more obscure live action ones.