Wooden and entirely charmless

OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger, OHMSS, FRWL, The Living Daylights

Wooden and entirely charmless

Post by 007 »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/cult ... t-End.html

I notice that the latest James Bond movie, Quantum of Solace, is released on DVD later this month. Don’t even think about buying it if you missed it in the cinema. My son, Ed, reported that it was a dead loss when it came out, but at a loose end in the West End the other week I concluded that it couldn’t possibly be as bad as he’d said and would pass a couple of hours enjoyably enough.

In fact, it is even worse than Ed suggested. The plot is incomprehensible, Daniel Craig is wooden and entirely charmless as Bond, while the big chase across the Siena rooftops is nothing like as thrilling as an eerily similar sequence in The Bourne Ultimatum.

I also wonder why Judi Dench continues to play M in these violent and unlovable films. She was brought up as a Quaker, and I believe remains one to this day, and Quakers have always been strongly opposed to violence. In M, she offers staunch support to a Bond who is every bit as psychopathic as the baddies he kills with such bone-crunching relish. Bow out of this once enjoyable but now increasingly nasty franchise with grace, Dame Judi, and return to the deep, spiritual calm of the Friends’ Meeting House.
"I’m looking for Commander Bond and not an overgrown stunt-man." - Ian Fleming
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Wooden and entirely charmless

Post by Kristatos »

007 wrote:I also wonder why Judi Dench continues to play M in these violent and unlovable films. She was brought up as a Quaker, and I believe remains one to this day, and Quakers have always been strongly opposed to violence. In M, she offers staunch support to a Bond who is every bit as psychopathic as the baddies he kills with such bone-crunching relish. Bow out of this once enjoyable but now increasingly nasty franchise with grace, Dame Judi, and return to the deep, spiritual calm of the Friends’ Meeting House.
Hmm, well, since one of her most famous roles is as Lady Macbeth, I don't think she chooses her parts based on how closely they match the tenets of her Quaker faith.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

Maybe she's a bit of a lasped Quaker? :lol:
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Kristatos wrote:
007 wrote:I also wonder why Judi Dench continues to play M in these violent and unlovable films. She was brought up as a Quaker, and I believe remains one to this day, and Quakers have always been strongly opposed to violence. In M, she offers staunch support to a Bond who is every bit as psychopathic as the baddies he kills with such bone-crunching relish. Bow out of this once enjoyable but now increasingly nasty franchise with grace, Dame Judi, and return to the deep, spiritual calm of the Friends’ Meeting House.
Hmm, well, since one of her most famous roles is as Lady Macbeth, I don't think she chooses her parts based on how closely they match the tenets of her Quaker faith.

"I'm not really the heroic type. I was beat up by Quakers."
Milton Krest
Lieutenant

Post by Milton Krest »

007 wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/cult ... t-End.html

I notice that the latest James Bond movie, Quantum of Solace, is released on DVD later this month. Don’t even think about buying it if you missed it in the cinema. My son, Ed, reported that it was a dead loss when it came out, but at a loose end in the West End the other week I concluded that it couldn’t possibly be as bad as he’d said and would pass a couple of hours enjoyably enough.

In fact, it is even worse than Ed suggested. The plot is incomprehensible, Daniel Craig is wooden and entirely charmless as Bond, while the big chase across the Siena rooftops is nothing like as thrilling as an eerily similar sequence in The Bourne Ultimatum.

I also wonder why Judi Dench continues to play M in these violent and unlovable films. She was brought up as a Quaker, and I believe remains one to this day, and Quakers have always been strongly opposed to violence. In M, she offers staunch support to a Bond who is every bit as psychopathic as the baddies he kills with such bone-crunching relish. Bow out of this once enjoyable but now increasingly nasty franchise with grace, Dame Judi, and return to the deep, spiritual calm of the Friends’ Meeting House.
Hes Right, but having said that, i am not against gritier storylines but remain true to the formula and character!! Bond is dead as long as Craig plays him, He sucks the life out of every movie i have seen him in.
katied

Post by katied »

He sucks the life out of every movie i have seen him in.

Ain't that the truth.Repeating myelf but Craig's non-Bond films are far from sucessful.Truth! :mrgreen:
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Th reviewer wrote:
Daniel Craig is wooden and entirely charmless as Bond
Glad someone else has noticed. :wink:
Bring back Bond!
CaptainLewis
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye
O.H.M.S.S.
Favorite Movies: Alien & Aliens
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

carl stromberg wrote:
Th reviewer wrote:
Daniel Craig is wooden and entirely charmless as Bond
I agree, a brick would have more warmth and depth, than Craig.
katied

Post by katied »

I agree, a brick would have more warmth and depth, than Craig.

Don't give EON any ideas! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

katied wrote:
He sucks the life out of every movie i have seen him in.

Ain't that the truth.
That's why you went to see CR numerous times and had QOS in your favourite films list untill someone pointed out the stupidi...error of your ways.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
katied

Post by katied »

Wooden and charmless..why not call Bond 23 "Pinocchio?" :lol: ? Oh wait,that's already taken :lol:
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

carl stromberg wrote:
Th reviewer wrote:
Daniel Craig is brilliant and entirely full of charm as Bond
Was wondering when you'd see the light Stromberg
:wink:
This post may have been slightly edited
katied

Post by katied »

Further to my Pinocchio comment earlier:Instead of M they can have Jiminy Cricket as his conscience :lol: