Quantum Of Solace smashes Japanese record

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Quantum Of Solace smashes Japanese record

Post by Kristatos »

Mazer Rackham wrote:Craig can't get hit out side of Bond to save his life. Pierce can.
Hmm, it's just occurred to me that Pierce is the only Bond actor to have parts in (non-Bond) hit movies before, during and after his Bond career - Mrs Doubtfire, The Thomas Crown Affair and Mamma Mia respectively. Even Connery can't claim that.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

katied wrote:
Craig can't get hit out side of Bond to save his life. Pierce can.

I've said the same thing several times, and it IS the truth. :cheers:
Defiance was supposed to be a sleeper hit driven by Craig. It was promoted as Oscar bate, it didn't work. Craig's pull didn't bring them in and his performance didn't get the buzz it was supposed to. Liev Schreiber on the other hand got a slight bump and plenty of attention for his role.

Defiance is another Craig anchor resting at the bottom of the sea. At 50m it was a small investment (not counting the money spent promoting it as Oscar material) one that will never be recover. So far it has grossed 41m worldwide.

Without the sony $3m booster shot Quark would finished below CR. May still do if inflation is considered.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Kristatos wrote:
Mazer Rackham wrote:Craig can't get hit out side of Bond to save his life. Pierce can.
Hmm, it's just occurred to me that Pierce is the only Bond actor to have parts in (non-Bond) hit movies before, during and after his Bond career - Mrs Doubtfire, The Thomas Crown Affair and Mamma Mia respectively. Even Connery can't claim that.
Well...
Connery was picked up young, 32, his previous excursions (Tarzan's Greatest Adventure and Darby O'Gill and the Little People) were not going to be career makers
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Mazer Rackham wrote:
Dose Brozza being in a huge hit rub salt in your Quark wounds?
Pierce was trashed by you and others like you for studio franchise reasons and somehow he still has the audiences attention.
Eh? I've already stated here and elsewhere that I am no big Quark fan. How could I get defensive about that?

With regards Pierce, I trash the Bond films he was in. Put Craig in DAD, and I would still trash it. I honestly could not give two hoots how well Bond actors outside of the franchise perform well at the BO or not. All I care about is whether I enjoy a Bond movie or not.

I've enjoyed some of Brozza's films outside of Bond (Long Good Friday, Mrs. Doubtfire, Panama, Thomas Crown) likewise I've enjoyed some of Craig's too (Munich, Layer Cake, Flashbacks of a Fool, Road to Perdition).

Why any of you would think I'll be offended by Brozza doing well at the BO is beyond me. On the other hand, I get the impression some of you would be highly distraught and offended if any of Craig's films were doing well at the BO..... :?
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

The Sweeney wrote:
Mazer Rackham wrote:
Dose Brozza being in a huge hit rub salt in your Quark wounds?
Pierce was trashed by you and others like you for studio franchise reasons and somehow he still has the audiences attention.
Eh? I've already stated here and elsewhere that I am no big Quark fan. How could I get defensive about that?

Why any of you would think I'll be offended by Brozza doing well at the BO is beyond me. On the other hand, I get the impression some of you would be highly distraught and offended if any of Craig's films were doing well at the BO..... :?
Only tried it out on you because you brought up Brozza and seemed genuinely offended that the movie he is in is doing better in Japan than Quark.

If Craig could get a hit out side of Bond, great. It's just about a given that his fists call after the record breaking opening night BO comes in is to Babs to tell her off. Which would be fine by me.

The fact he can't get hit disproves the hyperbolic claim of Craig's supernatural audience draw. James bond is the star not the man. Indeed this man falls far beneath the iconic image.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Mazer Rackham wrote: Sorry I didn't updated this earlier. I had an occasion to go to concerning natives and beads and the throwing of those beads. :wink:
Let me guess
You made a deal for Manhattan? :wink:
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Kristatos wrote:
Well Pierce and roger Moore had TV hits before Bond. I'm surprised Timothy Dalton didn't have few hits under his belt.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Dr. No wrote:
Mazer Rackham wrote: Sorry I didn't updated this earlier. I had an occasion to go to concerning natives and beads and the throwing of those beads. :wink:
Let me guess
You made a deal for Manhattan? :wink:
No Dr it was a small spiritual gathering called Mardi Gras :lol: Beads were traded for good though ;)
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Code: Select all

Last week Quark totaled $422,008  ($139,653 for the weekend + $282,355 over the week) $21,319,852 Japan total

Mama Mia! (#10 this week) $25,585,029 total w/334 screens, Quark has 228 screens
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

I am shocked QOS surpassed $20 million in Japan. Eon is probably shocked Mamma Mia outdid their pile in Japan.
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Last week Quark totaled $224,841  ($55,113 for the weekend + $169,728 over the week)$21,544,693 Japan total

Mama Mia! $26,691,076 total 
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

bjmdds wrote:I am shocked QOS surpassed $20 million in Japan. Eon is probably shocked Mamma Mia outdid their pile in Japan.
It wouldn't have without Sony's 3m booster shot/charity event. Mamma mia cost nothing to make and has gone on to make over 600m + dvd sales

Mamma Mia first day dvd sales sold $30m.  (2.25m dvd sold first day, over 5.8m sold in the US).
Became the fastest selling DVD of all time in the U.K. after first-day sales reached 1.6m, surpassing the previous decade-long record setter Titanic's first day.
 MM went on to sell 3.2 million units in its first week in the UK, beating “Titanic’s” 10-year record by 35 percent. In Australia, the DVD became the biggest DVD release of the past two years, holding the number-one spot for four consecutive weeks. The title is now poised to become one of the continent’s top- five DVDs of all time. It is also Universal’s biggest home entertainment release ever in Germany, with one million units shipped to date. In Nordic territories, the title has broken all industry records to date, with 1.2 million units shipped in its first week.

bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

What $3 million charity event Mazer?
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Remember the press release about the record smashing opening in Japan, $3m of that $6m was from a charity screening held earlier. In other words those spontaneous press release were guaranteed by Sony even if only 2 people went to the opening weekend.
katied

Post by katied »

At this point, going to see QOS in Japan could be considered charity :twisted:
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Probably the last update on this.

Last week Quark totaled $90082  ($29,652  for the weekend + $60,430 over the week)$21,634,775 Japan total

Mama Mia! $27,267,365 Japan total
katied

Post by katied »

LOL for the "no frills" version of the QOS DVD most of the stores are lowballing on the price-WAY under $20 everywhere.Kind of telling,no? :lol: