Quantum Of Solace smashes Japanese record

Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Re: Quantum Of Solace smashes Japanese record

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Quark sports a 51% drop this week. $1,296,121 this week end $15,952,679 total take.

Last week it was $12,613,658 (counting the $3m charity event) Quark managed to squeak out only $3,339,021 total last week, or $2,042,900 over the week + the weekend.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
katied

Post by katied »

Mazer Rackham wrote:Quark sports a 51% drop this week. $1,296,121 this week end $15,952,679 total take.

Last week it was $12,613,658 (counting the $3m charity event) Quark managed to squeak out only $3,339,021 total last week, or $2,042,900 over the week + the weekend.

That's a BIG drop..no way of spinning that one to make it look good :P
crusading_saint
Lieutenant

Post by crusading_saint »

No need to spin it - QOS' third week take was $1.3m for a total of $15.95m.
By comparison, CR had dropped to $1.0m in its third weekend, for a total of $9.46m. Of course, QOS had played for those previews the weekend before, but even so, CR's FOUR week take was only $10.9 - and that's with a full week, not just two days of preview screenings...
At this point, a final take of over $20m is assured, with $23-25M a possibility. What's to spin? It's doing better than CR...
katied

Post by katied »

crusading_saint wrote:No need to spin it - QOS' third week take was $1.3m for a total of $15.95m.
By comparison, CR had dropped to $1.0m in its third weekend, for a total of $9.46m. Of course, QOS had played for those previews the weekend before, but even so, CR's FOUR week take was only $10.9 - and that's with a full week, not just two days of preview screenings...
At this point, a final take of over $20m is assured, with $23-25M a possibility. What's to spin? It's doing better than CR...

I was referring to certain pro-Craigs with the "spin" comment,actually :wink:
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

Is it just me or do some of you really have no life?
Get outside people, the bright thing in the sky is called the sun, and the fresh stuff in your lungs...air.
:twisted:
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Captain Nash wrote:Is it just me or do some of you really have no life?
Get outside people, the bright thing in the sky is called the sun, and the fresh stuff in your lungs...air.
Are you sure? Last I heard in your neck of the woods the sky was on fire and smoke is everywhere. ;)
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

crusading_saint wrote:No need to spin it - QOS' third week take was $1.3m for a total of $15.95m.
Nothing is assured until it is done. Even with Sony's support and pumping money into it, it's not over until it is.

Of course this whole thread was started to be purposefully misleading, more so than a simple misnomer.
The Japanese are not fond of Craig, they do love Bond but are not crazy for him with Craig in the role.

What is the Japanese take of CR adjusted for 2009?
crusading_saint
Lieutenant

Nothing is assured until it is done. Even with Sony's support and pumping money into it, it's not over until it is
Who's pumping money into it? Prints are lessened than on CR - QOS debuted in 345 screens - CR debuted in 443 - almost 100 screens more. That makes QOS' increased take even more impressive.
I disagree - given how it's performing so far and how it stacks up against CR, $20m is assured. Well, one thing's for sure - a $15m final take? That's not happening :)
I have no data on an adjusted figure yet - if you are to assume that ticket prices in Japan rose as much as America or the UK (they certainly didn't rise higher), the adjusted figure would be around $20.5m for CR...and I'm confident QOS will surpass that given it's performance so far.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

crusading_saint wrote:
Nothing is assured until it is done. Even with Sony's support and pumping money into it, it's not over until it is
Who's pumping money into it? Prints are lessened than on CR - QOS debuted in 345 screens - CR debuted in 443 - almost 100 screens more. That makes QOS' increased take even more impressive.
I disagree - given how it's performing so far and how it stacks up against CR, $20m is assured. Well, one thing's for sure - a $15m final take? That's not happening :)
I have no data on an adjusted figure yet - if you are to assume that ticket prices in Japan rose as much as America or the UK (they certainly didn't rise higher), the adjusted figure would be around $20.5m for CR...and I'm confident QOS will surpass that given it's performance so far.
Hey Saint, QOS played TWICE as many times per day as CR did in the USA and worldwide, with NO competition, yet did not do any better than CR did ,in fact, it did worse overall, correct? Facts, just the facts, so no spin here. The Bourne Mimicry will NOT top $20 million in Japan.
katied

Post by katied »

QOS was a shorter film than CR thus the glut of showings at the movie theaters it showed at.
crusading_saint
Lieutenant

QOS played TWICE as many times per day as CR did in the USA and worldwide
I had no idea CR was a 212 minute film! Blimey, I guess the complaints about the length were correct...:)
I have only ever posted facts - nothing I have ever posted here has been less than the 100% truth - and if you can state otherwise, you're happy to try.... :wink:
The Bourne Mimicry will NOT top $20 million in Japan.
Put your money where your mouth is - care to make a bet?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

crusading_saint wrote:I had no idea CR was a 212 minute film!
No, it just felt like it.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger, OHMSS, FRWL, The Living Daylights

Post by 007 »

Captain Nash wrote:Is it just me or do some of you really have no life?
There speaks a man who can't stay away from here and is a mod on MI6 (no, honestly). Hello Mr Pot...
"I’m looking for Commander Bond and not an overgrown stunt-man." - Ian Fleming
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Quark slips to 6th in Japan, Mama Mia to 4th, and Ben Button to 1st.
katied

Post by katied »

Mazer Rackham wrote:Quark slips to 6th in Japan, Mama Mia to 4th, and Ben Button to 1st.
Is it wrong that I totally would see Mama Mia before I'd see Ben Button(or see QOS again, for that matter?) :lol:
crusading_saint
Lieutenant

Quark slips to 6th in Japan, Mama Mia to 4th, and Ben Button to 1st.
It is odd you've stopped mentioning the figures :)
Here they are, though: QOS slips 29% to $0.91m in its fourth week, for a running total of $18.57m. This puts it right under CR's final total of $18.98m, after only four weeks (plus previews).
In comparison, CR's fourth weekend was $0.84m for a running total of $10.93m.
I stand by my prediction of a final Japanese total of $23-$25m.
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Nothing odd about it mate. I didn't mention it last time either and wont before a second public source is available.

Quark is about tied with CR's Japan total, even with the Sony infusion/charity event.
Last week it totaled $3,339,021 (or $2,042,900 over the week + the weekend.)
This week is dropped to $2,617,257 ($916,074 for the weekend + $1,701,183 over the week)

Mama Mia! is holding well and will pass Quark by next week.
Given the run time and inflation Quark is under preforming. It may make what you expect, it if does it will be by the skin of its teeth.

I still am interested in what the average ticket price for Japan is 2006/7 vs. 2008/9.
Average price used to be around ¥1,800 (about $19 in today's dollar)
crusading_saint
Lieutenant

Inflation? I think you mean, DEflation. According to Screen Daily - the average ticket price in Japan has decreased from 2007 to 2008. Here's the analysis, straight from The Motion Pictures Association of Japan:

http://www.screendaily.com/ScreenDailyA ... hSite.aspx

I have no data from 2006, but it's clear that ticket prices in Japan have not increased as much as they have in America - if indeed they have at all. Remember, I said that the adjusted amount in Japan was $20.5M - IF they had increased as much as America? Well, it's clear they have not - so QOS will easily make more than CR's adjusted amount in Japan.
QOS is far from underperforming - Craig's popularity in Japan has increased since CR, and these figures prove it. It has made what CR made in it's entire run, after only four weeks (almost). There's no way to spin that badly - though I'm sure you'll try :)
katied

Post by katied »

$20 to go to the movies?- if I were in Japan there are a LOT of other movies I would rather spend my money on rather than QOS :P
Roger Devereau
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger

Post by Roger Devereau »

crusading_saint wrote: QOS is far from underperforming - Craig's popularity in Japan has increased since CR, and these figures prove it. It has made what CR made in it's entire run, after only four weeks (almost). There's no way to spin that badly - though I'm sure you'll try :)
Why should anyone bother? You will just respond with some erroneous stats that fit your agenda! :lol:
'She looked sharply up at him. 'And who might you be?'

'My name's Bond, James Bond'.