QOS no comparison to the old Bond movies

Terry
Lieutenant

QOS no comparison to the old Bond movies

Post by Terry »

http://www.humboldtbeacon.com/ci_11195393

'Quantum of Solace' no comparison to the old Bond movies

Although I am a loyal James Bond 007 movie fan, I was puzzled by the title, Quantum of Solace, of the latest James Bond movie. Opening my dictionary, I learned that the word quantum means a certain quantity of an item. The word solace means comfort in grief, trouble or calamity. Combining definitions, the movie seemed unattractive since I seek thrills and novelty instead a large measure of grief or calamity in my movies. Still, I could not resist seeing the movie, perhaps to hoping to relive the 007 movie thrills of my youth. After viewing Quantum of Solace, I went home very disappointed.

The plot was far too complex. New characters came on screen, did strange things and vanished. There was a lack of continuity on screen, just a series of violent events. The star playing James Bond is an athletic man of action who never smiles nor relaxes nor flirts with lovely ladies. The script is crudely written with no comic relief nor any relaxed gentle moments.

Agent 007 goes from one battle to another battle with no respite. Personality clashes with his superior are never resolved. The villain is no threatening evil presence but instead almost a con man. The script continuity is poor. In one scene James Bond and associate are flying an aircraft when they are suddenly shot down by another aircraft. The scene changes and James Bond is suddenly safe and cozy in an underground cavern. How James Bond outwitted certain death was never explained.

In some foreign scenes, speech in foreign languages is translated with English text on screen. Unfortunately, the text on screen is only momentary flashed and is over before the audience can read it. Thus, portions of the text are never understood by the audience. Surely industry standards define the duration of projected text on screen. Why should that not happen in a major movie?

To sum it up, Quantum of Solace is a poor production unless the viewer will settle for continuous mindless violence.
katied

Re: QOS no comparison to the old Bond movies

Post by katied »

I have to say,I agree. The villain in QOS *isn't* threatening...not in the least.
Terry
Lieutenant

Post by Terry »

If there was a villain in the film I barely noticed him.
katied

Post by katied »

To say nothing of Elvis.He was an embarassment :shock:
Milton Krest
Lieutenant

Post by Milton Krest »

katied wrote:To say nothing of Elvis.He was an embarassment :shock:
The whole movie is an embarrasment! Turkey of the year!!! :)
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Milton Krest wrote:
katied wrote:To say nothing of Elvis.He was an embarassment :shock:
The whole movie is an embarrasment! Turkey of the year!!! :)
That's it Milton! Put the boot in! :cheers:
Bring back Bond!
katied

Post by katied »

It's not even close to being the WORST Bond film though(there are a few-AVTAK and DAD)that are just that little bit worse :P
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

carl stromberg wrote: That's it Milton! Put the boot in! :cheers:
The DCINB'ers hunt for their next victim.....

Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

katied wrote:I have to say,I agree. The villain in QOS *isn't* threatening...not in the least.
I thought that when I heard water was going to be the point of it all. :? The US & UK have emergency plans to drop off water supplies and watermarking and purifying machines to just about anywhere in the wrold in 48 hours. Earthquake hits some where int eh world and the army and navy are ready to send help, food water, medicine. whatever is needed.
IMHO Stealing water is a stupid plot device.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote: IMHO Stealing water is a stupid plot device.
He wasn't going to steal it, he was going to overcharge for it. And as someone pointed out on AFJB, using water as a plot device didn't do Chinatown any harm. There was a lot wrong with QOS, but that was no stupider than any other Bond villain's scheme. It makes a change from plots involving satellites, anyway.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

I have no problems with the water supply thing. It was basically a demonstration of Quantum taking over countries by holding their vital areas and making a lot of money over them.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

stockslivevan wrote:It was basically a demonstration of Quantum taking over countries by holding their vital areas
Ooh, matron!

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Kristatos wrote:
Dr. No wrote: IMHO Stealing water is a stupid plot device.
He wasn't going to steal it, he was going to overcharge for it. And as someone pointed out on AFJB, using water as a plot device didn't do Chinatown any harm. There was a lot wrong with QOS, but that was no stupider than any other Bond villain's scheme. It makes a change from plots involving satellites, anyway.
Almost any plot can work in Bond, the water thing sounds stupid to me. it is the worlds most plentiful resource, most of teh planet is covered by it.
stockslivevan wrote:It was basically a demonstration of Quantum taking over countries by holding their vital areas and making a lot of money over them.
I don't see how that is threat, especially when its water. That is one of the few times where the UN could step in and do something worth while. How much money does Bolivia have anyway to make it worthwhile
Surly there is a Ponzi scheme to get in on somewhere in the world.
In its own way the tailor of Panama plot makes more sense than stealing water. Hell Screwing with Bolivia's power grid makes more sense.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Dr. No wrote:Almost any plot can work in Bond, the water thing sounds stupid to me. it is the worlds most plentiful resource, most of teh planet is covered by it.
Yup, sea water is good for the soul.
katied

Post by katied »

Wanna make the Bond films relevant and "now"? Have Bond going after a bad guy who bilks people out of their money(ala Madoff :P :P :P)
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

stockslivevan wrote:
Dr. No wrote:Almost any plot can work in Bond, the water thing sounds stupid to me. it is the worlds most plentiful resource, most of teh planet is covered by it.
Yup, sea water is good for the soul.
and quick and easy to convert to regular water.

The hoveround could be an interesting bond plot device, icebergs could be an interesting plot device, but water is in todays world not a insurmountable problem. Crops are another matter, but use of gray water could fix that problem as well.

If quantum had bought all coducters in the world and Bolivia need to fix their power infrastructures and now had to pay through the nose for it and were forced to use quantum's geek squad, that could work as a Bond plot. it doesn't have to be smart of world wide in grasp, but not water IMHO.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

katied wrote:Wanna make the Bond films relevant and "now"? Have Bond going after a bad guy who bilks people out of their money(ala Madoff :P :P :P)
did you hear about teh guy wanted for securities fraud who tried to fake his death by jumping out of plane he set to auto pilot after radioing he was in distress. The plan crashed hours after he jumped out. Some how the cops got wise to it although the creep is still running around at the moment.
What gets me is this SOB left a plane to crash in to whatever. It could have killed a bunch of people. It could have hit a church or hospital and we would have wrongly assumed it was new terrorist attack, adn that would have hurt the economy, if even just for few days it would be damaging..
Once he is caught he needs to spend some time in Guantanamo before brack closes it.
FROSTY
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Favorite Movies: Star Wars, Superman, Star Trek, Alien, Blade Runner, Flash Gordon, Indiana Jones, Close Encounters, King Kong

Post by FROSTY »

What's the bl**dy point of holding a POOR COUNTRY to ransom? - where's the logic to that villainous scheme?

You hold the people of a RICH country to ransom! :wink: - they're more likely to be able to actually pay more for your stockpiled resource!! :roll:

STUPID, STUPID MOVIE!! :x
Neither the name "Frosty" nor any other name
or character in this post is meant to portray
a real company of actual person
katied

Post by katied »

did you hear about teh guy wanted for securities fraud who tried to fake his death by jumping out of plane he set to auto pilot after radioing he was in distress. The plan crashed hours after he jumped out. Some how the cops got wise to it although the creep is still running around at the moment.
What gets me is this SOB left a plane to crash in to whatever. It could have killed a bunch of people. It could have hit a church or hospital and we would have wrongly assumed it was new terrorist attack, adn that would have hurt the economy, if even just for few days it would be damaging..
Once he is caught he needs to spend some time in Guantanamo before brack closes it.
I saw that when I was at the gym yesterday..man, that guy really has a set of cojones to do what he did.They'll find him.....It's only a matter of time before he screws up and does something wrong. :shock: