Bond 23 (with Craig). How would you improve the franchise?

The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Bond 23 (with Craig). How would you improve the franchise?

Post by The Sweeney »

Ok, now that QoS is with us, and has been a big let-down to some, where do EON go from here. How would you improve the next one? Let's take it as read that none of you here want Craig as Bond, but for now we accept that he will be around for the next one at least. So what would like to see return in the next film, bearing in mind it's Craig playing Bond. Could the film be bearable for you with Craig in it, if the film itself took a change in direction?

For me, I'd like Bond 23 to -

1) Be fairly lengthy again in running time (2 hours at least).

2) Cram as much unused Fleming parts and characters as possible (especially TSWLM, YOLT & TMWTGG).

3) Make Bond more human again like he was in CR. In QoS, he bordered on being Brosnan super human. I'd love to see a scene with him in his Chelsea flat, taking a shower, or eating scrambled eggs. Just doing normal, mundane routine everyday things.

4) Get Arnold to compose the next song, and go for something traditional and classic, rather than edgy and daring. AWTD was just awful, and ranks down there with DAD. We need another Nobody Does it Better again, or a LALD theme.

5) Tone down the Bradley action scenes for the next one. I love them, but many obviously do not.

6) Bring Q and Moneypenny back, and the gadgets, but in a realistic context.

7) Stick the gunbarrel at the beginning.

8) The Bond theme needs to return. In fact, let's have Arnold go all out for a complete John Barry sound in the next one. Less techno, more orchestra. Maybe even have a reprise of the 007 theme too.

9) Keep the humour as it has been for the past 2 films. Subtle and dark.

10) Avoid cheesiness at all costs!!!
(The most important one.)
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Bond 23. How would you improve the franchise?

Post by Kristatos »

Agree with most of this, except to say that 4 only applies if we can't have Barry back (which we probably can't). And I stand by my idea of setting it several years after QOS (which will be easier considering they're talking about another long gap before Bond 23 - 2011 or 2012 as a release date to allow DC to pursue other projects), and at least implying that the events of DN thru DAD have already happened to Bond in the rebooted timeline, so that he's the experienced agent we all know and love. It may seem a silly, trivial thing to some, but I want there to be one James Bond, not two.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

Better back stories for characters(Camille's scar on her back isn't explained until way late in the film)
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I would have Bale take over as Bond even though it's highly unlikely.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

FormerBondFan wrote:I would have Bale take over as Bond even though it's highly unlikely.
We're talking about realistic improvements here. Ones that actually stand a snowflake's chance in hell of being implemented.
katied

Post by katied »

I can't see Bale becoming the next Bond..as much as some people want it to happen. I think it would be great if it happened,but as Kris said, think *realistically*
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote:I can't see Bale becoming the next Bond..as much as some people want it to happen. I think it would be great if it happened,but as Kris said, think *realistically*
Certainly not for Bond 23. Maybe further down the line, but I think he is too famous now, sad to say, unless EON revises their policy against hiring A-list stars as Bond.
katied

Post by katied »

*if* Bale is ever Bond, it won't be for years down the line.But he's so well known, and so associated with Batman now,it's a real long shot, IMO.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote:*if* Bale is ever Bond, it won't be for years down the line.But he's so well known, and so associated with Batman now,it's a real long shot, IMO.
Yes, but I wanted to make a distinction between something which has absolutely no chance of happening whatsoever (Bale replacing Craig in Bond 23) and something that merely has very little chance of happening (Bale replacing Craig in, say, Bond 25, or John Barry coming back to score another Bond film, as I mentioned in a previous post).
katied

Post by katied »

Right. I might not be the biggest Daniel Craig fan anymore,but yeah, him being replaced by Bale for Bond 23? No.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Same thing I said at the end of CR. Get back to Bond being Bond. I don't think it is possible wiht this actor but at least reestablish the old standard again.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Re: Bond 23 (with Craig). How would you improve the franchise?

Post by carl stromberg »

Make it a standalone film; as Kristatos says, imply that it is several years after QOS - but do not mention Vesper or the Quantum organisation. Maybe the pre-credit sequence could have the Craig-Bond in training or at a health farm. Although I think that may have been done before!

If Craig makes another, he should have a sit down and think of another approach to Bond. There's challenge for him!

Use the gunbarrel and the James Bond music Eon, you daft gits!
Bring back Bond!
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

The next Bond movie has to scrap everything in the last two movies and go back to the old formula. Quantum is a major stink bomb and building on it for the next one will hurt the next movie.

Back to basics with a young Bond played by a guy who looks and acts like Bond and give him better scripts that use the customary Bond icon stuff.

Quantum was their version of Hulk. The must come back with the basics and have Bond 23 do what the Incredible Hulk did for the Hulk frachise. Incredible Hulk fix and smoothed over the mistakes made in Hulk and got the story on the right track and got rid of the rest of the sophisticated trash getting back to the real story which is a simple story to tell and enchanting to watch. They do that and we'll see Bond back where it was in the hey days of Connery
............ :007:
wrenchhands
Lieutenant

Post by wrenchhands »

Here's what I want to see:

Continue with the film being a direct sequel. I'm not sure if they are going to make it a trilogy, or let Craig run the gamut and go for 4 films, it really depends.

As per the past two films, I think there is gonna need to be a battle between Bond and Mr White, who is sorta the figurehead of quantum.

I think Bond and M have been developing a "mother son" relationship, and her getting killed off would be a good way to press emotion without retreading on themes with Vesper (say if Camille and him got married). Maybe M got killed off because she disobeyed an order, and got in Quantums way. Make it political. If M is killed early on, he could investigate her death, and battle it out with the new M, who is in the pocket of quantum. He could go underground, I don't know. Maybe even stir controversy, and end the triology/quadrilogy with Bond dying, or legit retiring satisfied.

Then you can re-reboot the series with dark haired handome englishman at the helm. Clive Owen? Christian Bale? (He's Batman and John Connor... maybe he can be Bond too) Who knows. By then people will be sick of dark and cold and will want whimsical bond again.

What do I think will happen? The studios will probably force the writers to combine their dark vision with the whimsy the public wants and make a shitty combo. Or they will wrap up the series at 3, but make a 4th money movie that weirds it up. All I know is, I hope they wrap with Craig and consider it "The Quantum Trilogy" and don't try and replace Craig with another blonde meanie. Go back to the old standard, keep this seperate.

As for the conventions, enough winking. Ok, the shaken not stirred thing was winked at. The gun barrel was winked at in CR and then put at the end. Put the gun barrell at the start or don't put it in. Leave Moneypenny and Q in the past.

If you guys really want things like gadgets and Q and the like back, then hope they keep these films dark. That way, there will be nostalgia for Moore/Brosnan style Bond as people get sick of dark bond.
katied

Post by katied »

As per the past two films, I think there is gonna need to be a battle between Bond and Mr White, who is sorta the figurehead of quantum
Yup.I don't think we've seen the last of Mr. White.Not by a longshot.

I think Bond and M have been developing a "mother son" relationship, and her getting killed off would be a good way to press emotion without retreading on themes with Vesper (say if Camille and him got married). Maybe M got killed off because she disobeyed an order, and got in Quantums way. Make it political. If M is killed early on, he could investigate her death, and battle it out with the new M, who is in the pocket of quantum. He could go underground, I don't know. Maybe even stir controversy, and end the triology/quadrilogy with Bond dying, or legit retiring satisfied.
I don't see any need to replace Dame Judi...but when they do, they have her M killed off before the movie even starts, and we get introuduced to the new M early on in the movie.I kinda like the idea of having a mole M from Quantum(I mean after all, if Craig Mitchell can get a job at MI6 and work there for years.... :lol: )
wrenchhands
Lieutenant

Post by wrenchhands »

It's not so much a replacement, but a plot point and an emotional crux.
katied

Post by katied »

I don't know that it needs doing in the next film...it's a sight better than some of the ideas I've heard(Bond has amnesia and kills M and goes rogue...again :roll: )That's a popular one, surprisingly.No accounting for taste. *shrug*
X3C
Lieutenant

Post by X3C »

katied wrote:I don't know that it needs doing in the next film...it's a sight better than some of the ideas I've heard(Bond has amnesia and kills M and goes rogue...again :roll: )That's a popular one, surprisingly.No accounting for taste. *shrug*
Worse, it could be M having an amnesia and tries to kill Bond...
James Bond: NOT just another action hero.

I'll skip Bond 23 & wait for:

Bond is on an indefinite leave, He'll Be Back.
katied

Post by katied »

Worse, it could be M having an amnesia and tries to kill Bond...
That would be.... craptastical. :D
X3C
Lieutenant

Post by X3C »

katied wrote:That would be.... craptastical. :D
Worst, if M successfully kills "Bond" on the final part of the film...
James Bond: NOT just another action hero.

I'll skip Bond 23 & wait for:

Bond is on an indefinite leave, He'll Be Back.