It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Craig unsure over Bond future

Post by carl stromberg »

Craig unsure over Bond future

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a132 ... uture.html
Daniel Craig has suggested that his future as James Bond is uncertain, despite having a contract for four films.

In an interview with Playboy, the 40-year-old confessed that whether or not he returns for another 007 instalment will depend on the success of the upcoming Quantum Of Solace.

"I did sign on for four so a piece of paper says there are two more to do," he commented. "But let's see how this one goes. In the film business, everything doesn't always go according to plan. We'll wait and see. If it goes wrong, we'll have to rethink things."
Bring back Bond!
katied

Re: Craig unsure over Bond future

Post by katied »

Interesting :shock:
oscartheman
Agent

Post by oscartheman »

Anyone else remembering Daltons 1989 interviews ?
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

oscartheman wrote:Anyone else remembering Daltons 1989 interviews ?
What interviews?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I'd be happy to be proved wrong (if this story is true, that is, and not just a journalist taking an off-the-cuff comment out of context), but with the amount of hype it's getting and the lack of competition, I seriously doubt there's much chance of QOS underperforming at the box office.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Kristatos wrote:I'd be happy to be proved wrong (if this story is true, that is, and not just a journalist taking an off-the-cuff comment out of context), but with the amount of hype it's getting and the lack of competition, I seriously doubt there's much chance of QOS underperforming at the box office.
If it isn't as good as it's supposed to be, then I can see it making less than CR, but not gigantic drop. But then again TMWTGG made a pretty big drop after LALD was a hit. Who knows. From what I've read of the negative reviews, most of the criticisms are on the film itself yet give Craig a thumbs up, so like with the situation in 1974 and 1989, I can see EON keeping their actor, but changing the tone more upbeat. Will Craig be happy with a more upbeat Bond? In an interview he said he would love to do a Goldfinger type flick. As I said in another thread, perhaps after two dark pages of Bond, they will make a relief film with Craig, nothing too drastic, just noticeably more upbeat. I'm all for that. As much as I like dark Bond, two in a row is quite enough although I'd like to revisit that again in the future when its most appropriate.

But again, I'm talking about all this before even seeing the d**n flick! I'll sure have a better perspective of things after I see QOS.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I never though he'd last long, just because he isn't really interested in bond. It was the fame and money that got him.

I'm thinking of some of the other actor who tired out for Bond, thye were excited about it because they were excited about Bond. One of them unconsciously had his leg bouncing while he was setting dunignt he interview because he was so damned excited.

I think the reviews it is getting now probably will disappoint him, if it does not get critical acclaim or make a boat load he may decided he did what he wanted and leave. He may have already decided he's done and won't say it until QOS run is done.

Not talking about them man or what I think of him, just what I think may be part of the thought process going on,

Now if it does LTK or Goldenegun he'll walk. No question in my mind,
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

stockslivevan wrote:
oscartheman wrote:Anyone else remembering Daltons 1989 interviews ?
What interviews?
probably the interviews were dalton talks about not coming back :? or was it something else?

ANy way Dalton said some fatalistic things back in 89, too young to remember maybe somebody will look them up and post them :D

Oscar the ball is in your court :hint: ;)
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

I'd be interested. If that's true he was already losing interest by 89, makes me wonder why he kept the role even after his contract expired in 91. I'm wondering if its just public perception of his tenure during those days which weren't too great, always rumors (especially in the US) of Dalton getting the boot and Brosnan secretly meeting with Cubby on a deal. I know Dalton is a Fleming aficionado (more so than any other Bond, if I'm correct), hence his intentions of capturing the spirit of Fleming.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote:I never though he'd last long, just because he isn't really interested in bond. It was the fame and money that got him.

I'm thinking of some of the other actor who tired out for Bond, thye were excited about it because they were excited about Bond. One of them unconsciously had his leg bouncing while he was setting dunignt he interview because he was so damned excited.
Yes, that was James Purefoy, the actor I was rooting for before Dan, Dan the Lavatory Man was announced as Bond no 6.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

stockslivevan wrote:I'd be interested. If that's true he was already losing interest by 89, makes me wonder why he kept the role even after his contract expired in 91. I'm wondering if its just public perception of his tenure during those days which weren't too great, always rumors (especially in the US) of Dalton getting the boot and Brosnan secretly meeting with Cubby on a deal. I know Dalton is a Fleming aficionado (more so than any other Bond, if I'm correct), hence his intentions of capturing the spirit of Fleming.
It really wasn't up to Cubby or Dalton after 1989. The financial backers were gunshy of backing another Bond project with Dalton and were not entirely confident in any ol' replacement. There was a steady decline in attendance since MR, at the time the trend showed no sign of reversing.

Now if Cubby had self financed it wouldn't matter what the backers liked. Part of the attraction of producing the films for the Broc's is they don't actually risk any of their own capital and take home huge chunk of money before the movie goes to market.

I'd like to think Dalton was interested in a 3rd movie, I am not so sure he was after having a bad time on the LTK.

Brozza is also a Fleming aficionado, Brozza and Dalton were the actors who bother to read and take to heart what Flaming wrote. Connery may have read 1 of the Books, maybe 2, doesn't matter becasue he talked it over the Ian Fleming.
The Broc's control the direction a lot more than the actors, well they used to, LTK wouldn't be the way it is if Dalton had his say. Much of LTK was contrary to Fleming and Dalton would have, in my opinion, got it back on track.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
katied

Post by katied »

Dan, Dan the Lavatory Man was announced as Bond no 6.
Classic! :P
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Mazer Rackham wrote:Brozza is also a Fleming aficionado
The last time I listened to anything that Brozza said, he talked about how Ian Fleming "was working on his first story, Dr. No". :P
mcbride007
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights
Goldfinger
For Your Eyes Only

Post by mcbride007 »

Will he make four and leave?
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

mcbride007 wrote:Will he make four and leave?
He is coming back for another one after making one of the worst movies in cinematic history. Therefore the fans welcome the load of old tripe he is making, and Craig is content to make a load of old tripe.

I think he will make about ten, Mcbride. :evil:
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

stockslivevan wrote:
The last time I listened to anything that Brozza said, he talked about how Ian Fleming "was working on his first story, Dr. No". :P
Sorry I missed this the first time.

What a load of horse pucky and you know it. Last I remember Brozza? :P right. sure. The guy who spearheaded the CR Bond was as clueless as goose. Last I remember hearing Craig thew the d**n book away and thought it was "OK"
Mazer Rackham
Q
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:
mcbride007 wrote:Will he make four and leave?
He is coming back for another one after making one of the worst movies in cinematic history. Therefore the fans welcome the load of old tripe he is making, and Craig is content to make a load of old tripe.

I think he will make about ten, Mcbride. :evil:
I don't know, Craig is desperate for critical acknowledgment. He wants one of those damned awards in the worst way. He knows he was seen as a hack because of the last movie and is very aware that he has nothing on his plate. If they go back to the old formula he'll be laughed at again. He'll lick his wounds and move on. In many ways he would have been better off to quit after CR.

He will not be happy making Bond movies just for the paycheck indefinitely, he signed on because he thought he could hitch his wagon to a better star in short order. SO far he has done nothing but piss his opportunities away. And it is going to get worse when he gets on stage with Jackman, who is a truly talented guy. Next to that Craig is going lose his luster and appeal. I would be unsurprised if a bunch of stories about Craig's temper fits and screw ups make it to the press. I mean this guy is way out of practice and the learning curve will piss him off.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

Mazer Rackham wrote:
stockslivevan wrote:
Sorry I missed this the first time.

What a load of horse pucky and you know it. Last I remember Brozza? :P right. sure.
Watch Die Another Day with Brosnan's commentary. I know it's a terrible film to watch but try to cope with it as you view. :wink: :P
katied

Post by katied »

I don't know, Craig is desperate for critical acknowledgment. He wants one of those damned awards in the worst way
*Insert pithy comment about H*ell freezing over here* :lol: :lol: :lol:
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Craig has announced that he will be back for the next one, which will be made sometime between 2011-2021. So I think he is not unsure over his future.
Bring back Bond!