Box office thread

News and Discussion of all things Dr Who
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Box office thread

Post by Kristatos »

That's possible. They are not familiar with the Star Wars convention of the "dark middle", and so won't be expecting the next film to offer a reversal in which the good guys finally win out.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I read the full story on China and Last Jedi.
The audience scores plummeted for Jedi, I don’t think being unfamiliar with the saga explains the drop, so many stories about this probably sourced from THR as well do mental gymnastics to excuse TLJ failure as a messaging failure or blame the audience.
IMO the answer is simple when a franchise movie misfires the story is not told well.
TFA was rated by Chinese audiences as above average, Rogue One was averaged, TLJ was rated poorly. I think this corresponds with how well the stories in each were told. IMO the Chinese audience has no attachment to the characters so only look to be entertained, probably why fast and furious do well there. Anther way to say it is they want an experience, TLJ for a western audience with attachment to the characters is more a experience than for Asian audience where the experience is hours of the good guys losing and bad guys not really winning. [spoil]From a unfamiliar POV: Some old lady floated in space, some old guy disappeared, some purple hair creature crashed a ship, a green puppet showed up, a droid was the ex machina for every single situation, the bad guy behind everything goes out in a whimper (same for good guy everyone wanted to return), a weird never explained Jedi speed dating, a mopey guy with the highest pants in the galaxy, edible penguins, 2 missions that amount to nothing and probably made things worse,[/spoil] for our siders TLJ didn’t offer much because it took for granted the audience would have a preconceived notion of star wars to be played against, it’s not a stand alone episode like the 8 other movies are.
[/rant]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Atticus
Lieutenant

Post by Atticus »

Another article about the weak box office numbers in 2017:

Movie Theater Attendance Hits 24-Year Low, Ticket Prices Rise Nearly 4 Percent

In other words, the movie business hasn't been a growth business. The bean counters can point to their spreadsheets for explanations but I see it simply as the result of all that Hollywood snobbery, the demeaning attitude towards middle America, their in-your-face politics, and the recent tornado of sex scandals that revealed an industry full of predators and sanctimonious enablers.
dirtybenny
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Goldeneye wrote:OK. It's a global thread now.. If you all feel this strongly about it you would be welcome to post on the main page too. I can set up the accounts, possibly merge forum users to access our front page. I wanted us to expand what we talk about on the front page for awhile. The heart of this site is the forum and Dirty Benny's is brilliant bring this feel to the front page, he even has trolls seek him out. Reminded me of the old days. :007:

Up to you guys. :cheers:

Thanks for the shout out Goldeneye! Sorry I've been lacking in my writing duties but things have been a bit busy of late, despite what Babz and her minions would believe I actually do have a life! :wink: 8)
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Atticus wrote: In other words, the movie business hasn't been a growth business. The bean counters can point to their spreadsheets for explanations but I see it simply as the result of all that Hollywood snobbery, the demeaning attitude towards middle America, their in-your-face politics, and the recent tornado of sex scandals that revealed an industry full of predators and sanctimonious enablers.
The sex scandals may have had something to do with it (though I've never personally encountered anyone who has stopped going to the movies because of them). However, the top 3 movies of last year were The Last Jedi, Hermione and the Beast and Wonder Woman, all of which the MAGA crowd condemned as examples of degenerate art for not featuring a straight white male in the lead. I think a more likely explanation is the combination of skyrocketing ticket prices and more ways to watch films, such as Netflix etc. That and the fact that TV is rapidly eclipsing film as the place where the most cutting-edge stuff is being produced.
Atticus
Lieutenant

Post by Atticus »

Kristatos wrote: However, the top 3 movies of last year were The Last Jedi, Hermione and the Beast and Wonder Woman, all of which the MAGA crowd condemned as examples of degenerate art for not featuring a straight white male in the lead.
I don't remember the MAGA crowd having specific gripes with The Last Jedi. Interesting. I'll have to read up on that. I do remember reports saying the film divided the fan base, depending on whatever political spectrum they were in. Then of course the film is just plain weak to begin with. The typical reaction I've gotten from die-hard fans is, “More of the same but not as good as [insert Star Wars title].”

About Beauty and the Beast: I remember the big controversy had to do with a gay moment right at the end. So you got Disney inserting the social justice stuff in a kiddie film. It was a very brief scene. I doubt my little granddaughter understood it. But the adults laughed. By that point in the movie, you expect it because it got a lot of publicity before the film was released.

I probably just missed it, but I don't recall the MAGA crowd making noise about Wonder Woman. Actually, I remember the big hoopla with Wonder Woman had to do with progressives panning the film because it featured an Israeli actress. It had to do with Gal Gadot's background as a combat trainer for the Israeli Defense Forces, and that got the liberal feministas all riled up. Then the film was boycotted in some Middle East countries.
I think a more likely explanation is the combination of skyrocketing ticket prices and more ways to watch films, such as Netflix etc. That and the fact that TV is rapidly eclipsing film as the place where the most cutting-edge stuff is being produced.
All valid points, and those are all big factors. But I also sense that people do have this fatigue for the Hollywood culture. Let's just say it adds fuel to the fire. Just my feeling about the mood of society here in the US. I mean, the blatant political divisiveness isn't helping. We've seen how these actors lecture moviegoers about how dumb they are for not sharing the same political views. This country is really divided right now. So if you're an actor or director and you go into one of your political rants, you'll alienate half the public. So that obviously eats into the profits. Just as we've seen the low attendance for the NFL games because the players have gotten political, I think we're getting that kind after-effect with the box office numbers. The recent Golden Globes Awards also took a hit with low ratings. Maybe audiences, at least here in the US, are tired of Hollywood.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Box office thread

Post by Omega »

I’m not sure the Make American Great Again crowd have any gripes about those top movies, aside from the very fringe Christians crowd who think dating a beast is ok but draw the line of homosexuality, all of the movies played well with the mainstream in the US, the movie snob crowd didn’t like any of those movies, too pedestrian. WW Didn’t do enough for women’s roles, or was just a dumb male action movie with female lead. Star Wars is like bond a low brow popcorn film. The Beast I’m really not aware of how this was received aside from the Christian outrage. My nieces and their friends like B&tB and the live action Cinderella, but they are the target audience.

What pisses me off (as if any of you didn’t already know ) is Last Jedi defenders are trying to portray anyone who doesn’t like the crap Rian Johnson story as backwards cousin loving truck hat wearing hicks, who don’t like the movie because they don’t like women or monitories of any kind real or imagined. I read dozens of reviews/analysis with this very premise .

I think maybe knowing BJ kind of screws up the image of the MAGA crowd. IMO the MAGA crowd probably cheer these movies just because they are successes, any right wing talk/Fox news host I guarantee are saying how much they love these movies, just like they come out of they Craig Bond movie raving about how great these movies are. Some I think I remember had Sony as some sort of sponsors at the time and were good company men others just wanted to piggy back of popular narrative, maybe these bastions of republicanism really like the lefty subplots. Speaking of..
Kind of common knowledge now that Morning Joe Scarborough is a nut job but I knew he was nuts in 2008 when he took his son to the movies over the holidays and raves about how good QOS is. I’m sure Hannity loved it too.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Well, it doesn't help when they release a cut of The Last Jedi with all the women removed (it lasts about 45 minutes). I'm not saying this is typical of all those who didn't like the film, but they do exist.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
Atticus wrote: In other words, the movie business hasn't been a growth business. The bean counters can point to their spreadsheets for explanations but I see it simply as the result of all that Hollywood snobbery, the demeaning attitude towards middle America, their in-your-face politics, and the recent tornado of sex scandals that revealed an industry full of predators and sanctimonious enablers.
The sex scandals may have had something to do with it (though I've never personally encountered anyone who has stopped going to the movies because of them). However, the top 3 movies of last year were The Last Jedi, Hermione and the Beast and Wonder Woman, all of which the MAGA crowd condemned as examples of degenerate art for not featuring a straight white male in the lead. I think a more likely explanation is the combination of skyrocketing ticket prices and more ways to watch films, such as Netflix etc. That and the fact that TV is rapidly eclipsing film as the place where the most cutting-edge stuff is being produced.
I think price vs watching at home is a big deal. In less than 8 months most of these movie will be on Netflix.

Sex scandals may have a impact some time soon but Justice league didn’t fail because of Affleck.
Most reviews carefully avoided anY hint of scandals concentrating on ripping the movie for other reason and Affleck for looking like he couldn’t wait to leave the role (we call it the Craig look). Although maybe going forward audiences may have a visceral reaction to seeing the likes of Spacey or Matt Damon and the Affleck bros. But I don’t know of anybody who was put off of a movie or series yet because of the actor scandals.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Some surprises this weekend. Jumanji takes #1 as expected, the Post drops to fourth instead of maintaining 2nd, 12 Strong takes 2nd, Den of Thieves take 3rd, both movies were not expected to preform that well. I’m surprised the greatest showman is 5th, not surprised last Jedi is 8th as more theaters drop it.

1. Jumanji $20 million ($317 domestic, $451 foreign, $767.8)
2. 12 Strong $16.5
3. Den of thieves $15
4. The Post $12
5. The Greatest Showman $11
6. Paddington 2 $8
7. The commuter $6.7
8. Star Wars TLJ $6.6 ($604 domestic, $692 foreign, $1.296)
9. Insidious $5.9
10. Forever my girl $4.7

bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

You left out one important item: Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool $37,658---in now 16 theaters :!: :cheers: No box office at all worldwide at only $1.5 milion.....no awards....Bening upset......Broccoli now on Prozac :!: :lol:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Yes, how could anyone forget...what was it called again?
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Did it even work as Oscar bate?

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Bening was desperately hoping for one by the praise she had for her producer and the role.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Actuals are in, a few hundred thousand off for most but the rankings hold.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Some bond related Jumanji news, Jumanji passed Skyfall as Sony’s highest domestic BO. Only Spider-Man is ahead of the Rock. If Jumanji can end at $404 million domestic it will beat all the spiders.

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Jumanji: Worldwide: $777,254,025 :!: :!: :!: :shock: I don't get it. :shock:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Projections for the weekend

Maze Runner: The Death Cure (3,768 theaters) - $21.0 M
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (3,553 theaters) - $13.1 M
The Post (2,640 theaters) - $11.7 M
The Greatest Showman (2,663 theaters) - $8.5 M
12 Strong (3,018 theaters) - $8.4 M
Den of Thieves (2,437 theaters) - $7.5 M
The Shape of Water (1,854 theaters) - $6.0 M
Paddington 2 (2,792 theaters) - $5.3 M
Hostiles (2,815 theaters) - $5.0 M
Star Wars: The Last Jedi (1,745 theaters) - $4.3 M

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:Jumanji: Worldwide: $777,254,025 :!: :!: :!: :shock: I don't get it. :shock:
Star Wars is shy about the same amount. Jumanji is re-watchable Last Jedi is not.

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

The Last Jedi is a bad part of the legacy it seems in terms of storyline from what I have seen. I will skip it until it's on regular tv now.