Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Sir Sean Connery phones night porter to back festival

Post by Blowfeld »

A night porter at St Andrews university has told of his surprise at receiving a call from Sir Sean Connery offering his support to one of its arts festivals.
The former James Bond actor was calling the university in Fife following an invite as patron to On The Rocks, which is organised by students every year.

The 79-year-old star was calling from his home in the Bahamas to say he would be unable to make the annual festival.

On the Rocks showcases literature, art, film, dance and music from 18-25 April.

It is the second year running that Sir Sean has called from his home in the Bahamas to chat to unsuspecting students.

It was quite surreal
Robert Dibb
St Andrews University

Last year, it was event organiser Philippa Dunn who took the call, but this year porter Robert Dibb, 31, answered the phone while doing his nightly rounds of the Students' Association building.

He said: "It was around 5.30pm so staff had not long left. I picked up the phone and the voice at the other end said, 'Hello, my name is Sean Connery, I'm calling about the On The Rocks opening night. Please could you tell Ella I am unable to attend as I'm in the Bahamas'.

"He then wished the festival well and offered his continued support.

"I wasn't really sure if it was him or not, so I just said 'ok doke, thank you', and we said goodbye.

"It wasn't until after I told a colleague that remembered him doing the same thing last year that I realised it was really him. It was quite surreal."

Student Ella Wright had written to Sir Sean.

Ms Wright, who is in her fourth year at the university, said: "I had no idea Sir Sean had rung until someone told me a couple of days later that the porter had taken the call.

"I was gutted to have missed it, but we are absolutely delighted to have his continued support.

"It really means a lot to us that he took the time to ring personally to give us his good wishes for the second year running."
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer