Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Dalton as young Bond.

Post by carl stromberg »

I may be mistatken, but wasn't Dalton asked to play Bond when he was in his early twenties?

I think he would have made a wonderful "young" Bond.
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Dalton as young Bond.

Post by Kristatos »

carl stromberg wrote:I may be mistatken, but wasn't Dalton asked to play Bond when he was in his early twenties?

I think he would have made a wonderful "young" Bond.
Yes, he was offered the role in OHMSS, but turned it down, feeling that at 25, he was too young. A shame, because that film desperately needed a Bond who could actually act. I've seen him in The Lion In Winter, made around the same time, and I didn't think he looked too fresh-faced for Bond, unlike Henry Cavill.

Unlikely, I know, but in theory, he could have been Bond for 20 years! Maybe even more if Cubby had tempted him back for Goldeneye, as he wanted. Imagine how different Bond history would have been if that had happened.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I see you don't subscribe to the theory that Roger Moore reinvigorated Bond and allowed it to remain popular into the 80's!

I don't have any regrets about the Bond timeline (well up unitl the the nightmare we are living thorugh at the moment). But I would have loved some more Dalton.

He would have been wonderful in OHMSS; even better in FYEO (although I would have been denied the masterpiece that is Octopussy :D ) and should have made three or four films but was denied by the box office and the courts.
Bring back Bond!
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

For me it depends on how he would play bond. Being young I think he would have just gone with it, being older he felt more of a need to redefine the character. But thinking of the intro for living daylights he did the business with the action and looked good doing it. That scene has one of my requirements for a young Bond introduction story. Seeing as it was a training mission.

I realy respect that he loves the bond role for what it was and enjoyed the trappings of it. My one grip is he made it more serious because he felt a need to redefine it and make it his own. His talk point was "he is Fleming's Bond", I think in way thats correct, he had the looks and the attitude, but he missed some of the humor. I think of him in OHMSS, then DAF, then LALD, i think it could have worked. The OHMSS intro flashing back to all of teh adventure then young Dalton taking over, I don't have mental picture of him at that age but he could have just what the doctor ordered.