Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Dalton and Berkoff Join ‘The Tourist’

Post by Blowfeld »

To add to the slew of casting announcements for Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck’s The Tourist, it’s just been announced that Timothy Dalton (License To Kill) and Steven Berkoff (Rambo) have joined Johnny Depp, Angelina Jolie and the rest of the cast. Coming Soon tipped us off.

The film follows an American tourist (Depp) who goes to Italy to mend a broken heart, meets a beautiful and mysterious woman (Jolie, obviously) and gets caught up in espionage. Depp and Jolie need no parenthetical work references, however Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck might.

Donnersmarck wrote and directed the excellent Das Leben der Anderen (aka The Lives of Others), which will be remade in the U.S. and produced by Harvey Weinstein, Sydney Pollack and Anthony Minghella. With the type of cast attached to The Tourist, one gets the sense Henckel von Donnersmarck is about to make quite the splash. The script was written by Julian Fellowes (The Young Victoria) and Christopher McQuarrie (Wolverine 2) and revised by William Wheeler (The Hoax).
Dalton as Bond
Which brings us to Dalton and Berkoff. Dalton’s probably best known for playing freakin’ James Bond in the mid-to-late ’80s and has been working steadily since the ’60s (Hot Fuzz, Doctor Who, Sextette). Berkoff os one of the few actors
around with an even more lengthy resume, dating back to the late ’50s (A Clockwork Orange, Octopussy, Slave Girls). Adding these seasoned veterans into the mix can’t hurt.

The director’s talent for creating quiet, powerful moments was illustrated in The Lives of Others and I’ll be curious to see if he can bring that same subdued energy to The Tourist.

The Tourist is in production and is expected to be released in 2011.

Source: Coming Soon
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Dalton and Berkoff Join ‘The Tourist’

Post by Kristatos »

How is it being co-produced by Antony Minghella? Is he going to give his orders via a ouija board?
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

That's right isn't it. The same Director who had a hand in 'The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency' , he died before the series started as I remember and without him a second series is in doubt.
The must be using Minghella's name for clout.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I just noticed that the story was from March. For some reason, last night the forum was showing old threads as being unread. Not sure if the problem was with the software or my computer.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Yesterday GE was sorting out old news stories from the main news folder to individual actor's.

Can't believe I didn't catch the use of Minghella's name. It is not like I never heard of him.