Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Sir Roger Moore: One Lucky Fellow

Post by carl stromberg »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24654682

Sir Roger Moore will forever be remembered as the third actor to play secret agent James Bond on the big screen between 1973 and 1985.

Prior to that he starred as Simon Templar in TV series The Saint, as well as opposite Tony Curtis in The Persuaders!

These days the 86-year-old lives in Monaco, however he is returning to the UK for his An Evening With... tour, which sees him discuss his life and career, before taking questions from fans.

He spoke to the BBC about his upcoming run of shows, bringing back The Saint, silly questions and why he would have been an IT expert if he wasn't an actor.

This is your second tour, describe a typical show for us.

The format depends entirely on what I can remember! I talk with Gareth Owen who is my assistant and biographer and we chat about various things that have happened.

I was talking with Joan Collins [who has also had An Audience With... tour] the other day and she has a whole production with songs and videos. But I've never thought it was necessary to do that, so I just get up and tell lies!

You must enjoy meeting your fans, since you've committed to another tour.

I'm warming them up for my new book that's going to come out next year! I haven't had full approval from all the publishers, but it's going to be called One Lucky Bas***d.

It occurred to me when I was halfway through the book - which was going to be called something like Moore on Bond, or Moore or Less - it suddenly struck me I have been exceedingly lucky, so I think that's what I have to call myself.

That title's going to give us problems - we get complaints if we print words like that…

Maybe for the BBC it can be called One Lucky Fellow!

What are some of the more "out there" questions you've been asked by the audience?

Nothing really fazes me. There are the more direct ones about sex and the leading ladies, which I go completely red and blush at - and if I can't answer I burst into tears.

But I can certainly become awfully deaf and have a chat with Gareth about it [on stage] and say "what was that?".

Are there any questions you always get asked that make you internally give a bit of a sigh?

It's always which leading lady did you like the most? Or what's the best Bond film you've made? What's your favourite Bond gadget? Or Bond girl? You always have to look surprised - as if you've never been asked that question before.

Is there anything you won't answer?

I won't give my phone number out!

As you've released your autobiography have you already divulged everything interesting about your life?

I suppose so, but there's been a lot that's been left unsaid and I have to work around it when I'm asked a question that borders on that. It becomes a game, actually, but the more controversial the better, as it's more fun.

You said in 2009 you'd retired from acting but you've just made a pilot for a new version of The Saint - do you think you ever will really give it all up?

There's an old saying that actors don't retire until the phone stops ringing. It depends on what there is for an old gentlemen to do. I'm not about to run around and do acrobatics, so if I can find something witty to do, I'd love to do it.

How is the pilot coming along - has it been picked up yet?

From the last email I've had, it has had the go-ahead. I will make the odd appearance - I play a sort of rather mysterious man who is on the end of a telephone or will suddenly arrive where The Saint is and give him his opinion.

So you'll appear on screen and not just be a disembodied voice on the telephone?

Oh no, I'll be there for people to say: "Oh God, isn't he old!"
Sir Roger Moore in training for his role in The Saint in 1965 Sir Roger took up judo to help with his fight scenes while filming The Saint

What shows excite you now? You tweeted to say you'd be interested in a role in either Doctor Who or Sherlock.

It always depends on the writing and what it is. Doctor Who is not something I jump at and say: "Oh my Lord, I must do that", but then again the few number of times I've seen Doctor Who its always been a different Doctor and they've been rather fun.

You answer a series a questions for fans every month on your website and you're on Twitter and Facebook - has it been easy for you to adapt to social media?

I have to confess I get my office to take care of it and if there's anything in particular they feel requires a good answer from me, I answer it.

[How technically literate are you?

Moderately - I know there's a switch that's on and off! When people ask me what would I have done if I hadn't been an actor, I've now found out I'd like to be an IT expert as they make such a lot of money.

I've always thought it's good to be a plumber. People will always have toilets so you'll always be in employment…

Well by the same token you might as well be an undertaker! My ex-wife Dorothy Squires had a theatre in Llanelli in Wales and there used be a car to meet her at the railway station after travelling up from London.

One day the taxi driver said: "I'm terribly sorry, Ms Squires, but I must apologise for the terrible smell of pitch and turpentine - my silly bloody brother-in-law has bought himself an undertaking business so I've been carrying coffins all day."

She couldn't think of anything to say except "how's business?" and he said, "oh, bloody smashing, every bugger is dying!".

An Evening With Roger Moore begins on 27 October at the Leeds Grand Theatre and will tour around the UK until 17 November.
Bring back Bond!