Roger Moore: Being Bond could be scary

All Moore Related News
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Roger Moore: Being Bond could be scary

Post by Goldeneye »

NEW YORK (AP) — It's not easy being Bond.

Roger Moore, who starred in seven Bond films in the 1970s and 1980s, recounts his days as the dashing super-spy in his upcoming memoir, "My Word Is My Bond," and says things weren't always as they seemed.

"Jimmy Bond had a big jet boat chase in `Live and Let Die,'" writes Moore, now 80. "I did quite a few run-throughs to practice and whilst banking on one such run, the engine cut out. I had no steering! I therefore continued in a straight line ... directly into a wooden boat house."

He instantly catapulted from the boat into a wall, cracking his front teeth and twisting his knee.

"There I was, as a fearless 007, hobbling on a cane to my boat and then pretending to be indestructible for the cameras. Who says I can't act?"

Moore replaced Sean Connery in the 007 franchise in 1973. His films include "The Spy Who Loved Me," "Live and Let Die," "The Man With the Golden Gun" and "A View to a Kill."

The book, due out Nov. 4, also recounts the time Moore bumped into a young Steven Spielberg at a Paris hotel.

"He was a huge Bond fan and said that he would love to direct one of the films," Moore says. "He'd recently had great success with `Jaws' and `Close Encounters' and was considered a very hot property. I was rather excited at this news and went looking for (film producer Albert R. `Cubby' Broccoli) to tell him."

But Broccoli, who steered the Bond franchise over three decades, shook his head and asked, "Do you know how much of a percentage he'd want?"

"It's always been policy that no Bond director ever got a slice of the box office profits," Moore says. "So, Spielberg went off and made `Indiana Jones' who I reckon to be a period James Bond!"
katied

Re: Roger Moore: Being Bond could be scary

Post by katied »

I'm glad Spielberg has never done a Bond film. Yes, he did the Indiana Jones films.And Schindler's List.That doesn't mean that he isn't overrated though :?
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

katied wrote:I'm glad Spielberg has never done a Bond film. Yes, he did the Indiana Jones films.And Schindler's List.That doesn't mean that he isn't overrated though :?
I know why you think he's overrated.
katied

Post by katied »

Really?Enlighten us. :roll:

Stocks: "I don't have to"...how predictable :roll:
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Goldeneye wrote:Image

Roger Moore, who starred in seven Bond films in the 1970s and 1980s, recounts his days as the dashing super-spy in his upcoming memoir, "My Word Is My Bond," and says things weren't always as they seemed.

"Jimmy Bond had a big jet boat chase in `Live and Let Die,'" writes Moore, now 80. "I did quite a few run-throughs to practice and whilst banking on one such run, the engine cut out. I had no steering! I therefore continued in a straight line ... directly into a wooden boat house."

He instantly catapulted from the boat into a wall, cracking his front teeth and twisting his knee.

"There I was, as a fearless 007, hobbling on a cane to my boat and then pretending to be indestructible for the cameras. Who says I can't act?"

Moore replaced Sean Connery in the 007 franchise in 1973. His films include "The Spy Who Loved Me," "Live and Let Die," "The Man With the Golden Gun" and "A View to a Kill."

The book, due out Nov. 4, also recounts the time Moore bumped into a young Steven Spielberg at a Paris hotel.

"He was a huge Bond fan and said that he would love to direct one of the films," Moore says. "He'd recently had great success with `Jaws' and `Close Encounters' and was considered a very hot property. I was rather excited at this news and went looking for (film producer Albert R. `Cubby' Broccoli) to tell him."

But Broccoli, who steered the Bond franchise over three decades, shook his head and asked, "Do you know how much of a percentage he'd want?"

"It's always been policy that no Bond director ever got a slice of the box office profits," Moore says. "So, Spielberg went off and made `Indiana Jones' who I reckon to be a period James Bond!"
I'm really looking forward to this book. It would be nice to attend a book signing.
Bring back Bond!
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

katied wrote:Really?Enlighten us. :roll:

Stocks: "I don't have to"...how predictable :roll:
It has something to do with a big fan of Spielberg.
Milton Krest
Lieutenant

Post by Milton Krest »

carl stromberg wrote:
Goldeneye wrote:Image

I'm really looking forward to this book. It would be nice to attend a book signing.
Yeah it should be a good read on Sir Rogers expeariences during Bond, on the Speilberg point i think he would have been an interesting choice to direct a Bond at that point in his life. I think now he is churning out competent but uninspired fare. That Indiana Jone film was lack lustre. Too much CGI and not enough practical stunts for me. Ford was good though, could have done without that Mutt kid though!! and as with him being his
Spoiler
son
didnt ring true with me. :D
katied

Post by katied »

Spielberg is overrated. At one point he would have been a good choice but we'd have some of Spielberg's fans fan w*anking (with an emphasis on "fan" and "w*anking" :lol:) if he did it now.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

katied wrote:but we'd have some of Spielberg's fans fan w*anking (with an emphasis on "fan" and "w*anking" :lol:) if he did it now.
What does that have to do with the quality of his films?
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

I'm looking forward to this book a lot. Hopefully we'll learn some things we didn't know. If Rog's LALD diaries are anything to go by there'll be a lot of self-deprecating humour in the book.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

stockslivevan wrote:
katied wrote:but we'd have some of Spielberg's fans fan w*anking (with an emphasis on "fan" and "w*anking" :lol:) if he did it now.
Spielberg is hardly perfect. Even the fan I mentioned knows that but choose to ignore it. Then fan w*anking doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the film... it'd just be an unpeasant side effect :?

Topic?I hope Rog's book comes out in the States eventually. At the very lest I'll skim through it in Barnes &Noble.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

katied wrote:
stockslivevan wrote:
Topic?I hope Rog's book comes out in the States eventually. At the very lest I'll skim through it in Barnes &Noble.
You will buy a copy of sir Roger's book, or the DCINB Intellegence service will pay you a visit! :wink:

Here is what I imagine the book signing will be like:

Bring back Bond!
katied

Post by katied »

You will buy a copy of sir Roger's book, or the DCINB Intellegence service will pay you a visit! :wink:
Sure, sure :P :P :P :P
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

katied wrote:
stockslivevan wrote:
Even the fan I mentioned knows that but choose to ignore it.
And would that fan happen to be...
katied

Post by katied »

dba..I mean B. Brown. :P :P
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

katied wrote:dba..I mean B. Brown. :P :P
No wonder you call Spielberg overrated. If Brown liked you, would you despise yourself? :P
katied

Post by katied »

No,but in his mind Brown is right and everyone else is wrong . :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

katied wrote:No,but in his mind Brown is right and everyone else is wrong . :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
It's called "opinion". Let's sound that out, O-PIN-I-ON. :wink:
katied

Post by katied »

He's arrogant.I stand by MY opinion of him. I don't buy the excuses that are made for him by people like Retrokitty.He's immature . And he's so beloved there :roll: for reasons that I have never been able to figure out that the mods just keep not doing their job and refuse to give him warnings(true, he has had warnings and had time outs before but now it's like they're afraid of him or something.Which is pathetic.)
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

katied wrote:He's immature.
And blatantly mocking Pro-Craigers instead of contributing to mature discussions and debates is the epitome of maturity? :roll: Whatever, you're just another troll.