Bond-ing with an image

All Brosnan Related News
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Bond-ing with an image

Post by FormerBondFan »

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/ ... index_html

Dapper Pierce Brosnan tells us how Bond, family and Hawaii have made him hardy, nurturing and tranquil, in that order.

PIERCE Brosnan falls into that group of actors who keep looking better as they age, keeping company with men like George Clooney and Sean Connery. Case in point: He is remembered more for as James Bond and Thomas Crown than for being the lead actor in Remington Steel, the 1980s TV series. His latest star turn is as the face for L’Oreal Paris men expert. An achievement, considering the beauty industry is, for the most part, obsessed with youth. At 59, Brosnan stands out as a celebrity who has aged gracefully, balancing his family life in Hawaii with his acting and love for painting. In this interview, the actor talks about his career and the causes he fights for.

Q: As an actor you have had a great career thus far, with numerous roles. But do you feel you have to distance yourself from the identity of Bond?
A: I was totally aware of the iconic studies of this character. I was aware of the image it creates on an international level. I’ve seen many men go before me and I watched their careers closely. I suppose Sean Connery and Roger Moore were the Bonds I really loved. I grew up with both of these men’s work. Sean has had the most incredible career. I saw the struggles he went through making the break from playing Bond. So I was aware of it ...you have to be aware of it. I wanted to play as many roles as possible. But it depends on how much talent you have in your back pocket and how lucky you are.

Q: Did you have to maintain a high physical fitness level for the roles you took on?
A: Yes, you have to stay fit as an actor. It is a very demanding job — physically, emotionally and psychologically. You have to have stamina. You have to have that even without being an actor, just to stay up in life these days.

Q: You’ve had a very amazing career. What challenges are you pursuing now?
A: I have the challenge of making (The) Thomas Crown (Affair 2). My partner is in Istanbul at the moment. The story takes place in Berlin, Istanbul, and Dubai, so the challenge is to make that as successful, as rich and as exciting as the first. And it’s even more daunting. The first time it was very daunting because there was the much-loved movie with one of America’s greatest cinematic iconic actors. We managed to pull that off and now the studio would like us to do that again.

Q: Why did you choose to create your own company?
A: So I could have a choice, so I could go off and do a film like Matador, I could do a film like Avalon, small pieces that interest me, that excite me, and for being able to do it my way. For something like Thomas Crown, you want to have empires of big commercials but it’s the joy of finding pieces that are more informative, more character-driven. This makes it very exciting to have your own company.

Q: You have been involved with many causes. How are they important for you?
A: I have been involved with many causes, from women’s healthcare to campaigns for whales and dolphins and old growth trees. I grew up in Ireland, surrounded by nature. I have a big appreciation and affinity for nature and the world around me. I have a selfish interest — to protect all of that for my children and for my children’s children. When you put your toe into these waters, they have a knock-on effect with the most amazing people on the planet — people who are deeply philosophical, passionate, erudite, who fight for the planet, to nurture it.

Q: With all your activities, do you still have time for your hobbies?
A: I enjoy painting, I enjoy riding horses, I enjoy learning how to surf, which is pathetic. I live out in Hawaii and it has been a wonderful part of our lives, my wife and myself, and our children. But I enjoy painting. I started as a commercial artist and so it has stayed with me. I am an enthusiastic painter. I don’t do enough of it because with managing life as an actor, managing life as a father, managing life travelling... But living where I live now in Hawaii has a huge resonance in my life. Watching them grow up; it just makes you strive harder to be part of causes that are meaningful ...for making your own community and the world at large better.

Q: Time doesn’t seem to have had left its mark on you. What’s your secret?
What is your philosophy about the passage of time? A: Well, time does, unfortunately. Hmm... what can I say, just drink a lot of water, brush your teeth, 50 push-ups in the morning. No, don’t believe a word of what I’m saying. I’m an actor, for God’s sake ...Just good Irish gin and lots of water.

Q: Did you enjoy the loyal team — all those beautiful women and ambassadresses?
What is your feeling about this new involvement with L’Oreal? A: It has come at a perfect time in my life. What can I say? I have watched these commercials for many years. They have all these beautiful women. It’s a company that has been ongoing for many years, some 100 years. It’s hard to believe! I’m very proud to work for them. It is coming at a perfect time — this campaign to present myself. — Interview courtesy of L’Oreal Paris.