Devil May Care

Discussion & Review Forum For James Bond Books Written By Sebastian Faulks (born 20 April 1953))
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Devil May Care

Post by Goldeneye »

Devil May Care is a forthcoming James Bond novel by Sebastian Faulks. It will be published on 28 May 2008, the 100th anniversary of Bond creator Ian Fleming's birth.

The popular novelist, famous for Charlotte Gray and Birdsong, was selected by the estate of the late 007-author in 2006, however the identity of the author was not revealed to the public until July 2007 when a publishing date for the work was officially announced along with its title.

The novel is set in the Cold War in 1967 (and in Ian Fleming's original continuity, following The Man With The Golden Gun) and the action is played out "across two continents, exotic locations and some of the world's most thrilling cities". U.S. publisher Doubleday confirmed one of the locations will be Paris.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Devil May Care

Post by Kristatos »

Goldeneye wrote:Image

Devil May Care is a forthcoming James Bond novel by Sebastian Faulks. It will be published on 28 May 2008, the 100th anniversary of Bond creator Ian Fleming's birth.

Gonna be kind of hard to discuss this until then.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Kristatos wrote:
Goldeneye wrote:Image

Gonna be kind of hard to discuss this until then.

Can't wait for it to come out though....
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

There's a new blog devoted to the literary 007, which contains several interviews with Faulks. I particularly liked this choice quote from an interview in the Daily Telegraph:
"He also spends quite a lot of time abroad on his adventure, so in want of a hire car, which wouldn't really befit James, he will also have a driver at his disposal."
Could that be a subtle dig?
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

Bought it last year. For some unknown reason I've yet to read it.
I'll have to get around to that sometime.
katied

Re:

Post by katied »

Kristatos wrote:There's a new blog devoted to the literary 007, which contains several interviews with Faulks. I particularly liked this choice quote from an interview in the Daily Telegraph:
"He also spends quite a lot of time abroad on his adventure, so in want of a hire car, which wouldn't really befit James, he will also have a driver at his disposal."
Could that be a subtle dig?

I don't really think of Bond as being the sort of person that gets driven around,both in the books and in the films. I skimmed Devil May Care at the bookstore.Not impressed.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Captain Nash wrote:Bought it last year. For some unknown reason I've yet to read it.
I'll have to get around to that sometime.
I was put off by the reviews. It does not seem as fun as Colonel Sun.
Bring back Bond!
katied

Post by katied »

And yet shockingly,some Bond fans(not here!) think it should be made into a film.No accounting for taste,I suppose :?
katied

Post by katied »

DMC is in paperback(saw it at Barnes And Noble). Read a bit of it. A *bit* better than I remember, but not good enough to make a film out of(not that EON owns the rights..)
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I saw one in Walmart as well.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

katied wrote:
And yet shockingly,some Bond fans(not here!) think it should be made into a film.No accounting for taste,I suppose :?
I haven't read it, but I think Devil May Care is a good title for a Bond story. They could do what they did with TSWLM and just use the title and very little else.
katied

Post by katied »

The only reason that some fanboys want it made into a movie is because there's a character named Yusuf in it, and there is a character named Yusuf in QOS. Never mind that they would have to make a period piece if they did QOS.I suppose they could change it to modern times but the book *is* set in the 60's.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I never got around to posting my comments on here after reading it. On the whole, I don't think it was as bad as some of the fans make it out to be, but it did rather descend into lazy pastiche towards the end, as if Faulks lost interest halfway through writing it and just padded it out with a bunch of generic Bond cliches.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Kristatos wrote:I never got around to posting my comments on here after reading it. On the whole, I don't think it was as bad as some of the fans make it out to be, but it did rather descend into lazy pastiche towards the end, as if Faulks lost interest halfway through writing it and just padded it out with a bunch of generic Bond cliches.
No review has encourouged me to read it. Most say it is not bad, just a bit unispired - which is what your review says as well!

Kristatos wrote:
I think Devil May Care is a good title for a Bond story. They could do what they did with TSWLM and just use the title and very little else
Do you like any of the Benson/Gardner titles?
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

carl stromberg wrote: Do you like any of the Benson/Gardner titles?
The ones I can remember off the top of my head are either a tad generic (Brokenclaw, The Facts of Death) or absolutely terrible (Cold, No Deals Mr. Bond). None of them are as good as Fleming's titles.