Devil May Care - Reviews

Discussion & Review Forum For James Bond Books Written By Sebastian Faulks (born 20 April 1953))
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Re: Devil May Care - Reviews

Post by Dr. No »

The Sweeney wrote:
Dr. No wrote:thanks for the candid answers guys.

I was wondering about it because some of you seem really dedicated to the books. DMC is universally panned but you guys paid top price for it (twice! :shock: ).
I completely understand wanting to collect Ian Fleming's books, the 1 or 2 AF books i read were not veyr good IMHO.

I guess if i could have any flemign book First edition it would be Dr NO, I love the story adn the cover. But i suppose you knew that already ;) :mrgreen:

Most of my books are paper backs well used adn well read. nothing could be better IMHO :D
Funny enough, Dr. No was the first Bond novel I ever read, so I've got a real soft spot for it.
:D its a good book adn Great story.
I enjoy the imagry of it, from the island to the girl.
There was a line I loved from it... :? I need to look it up and add it to my sig. Yep I'm going to look it up tonight. May read it again while i'm at it. :D
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Problem Eliminator
Lieutenant

Re: Devil May Care - Reviews

Post by Problem Eliminator »

I finally got around to reading DMC. Im almost through it now. The plot ia moving along nicely. Faulks doesnt have the same sense of place that Fleming had. I believe hed been to many of the places Bond visited. I doubt Faulks has, and especially hadnt in 1967.
I think the other reason that Fleming wrote Bond so well is that he identified so much with the character. He could describe what was in his head so well because it was often in Fleming's as well.

The other problem is the whole war on drugs narrative. Clearly people taking drugs in society does not lead to the kind of catastrophe that M thinks (Britain will soon become a third world country) and Bond is probably the worst candidate for be a drug warrior easily imaginable. The book feels dated as much as some of the social attitudes Fleming expressed. Maybe that was the point, to be meta and it just goes overall my head.