RIP Lois Maxwell

A place to discuss the latest in Bond News.
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

RIP Lois Maxwell

Post by James »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7020767.stm

Actress Lois Maxwell, who played Miss Moneypenny in 14 James Bond movies, has died in Australia aged 80. Bond star Sir Roger Moore, who had known her for more than 60 years, spoke to the BBC about his friend and co-star.
I'd known Lois from the beginning of my acting career, we were both drama students at Rada in 1944 and 1945.

We first played opposite each other in Pride and Prejudice. I was Darcy, she was Elizabeth. She was a very fine actress with a great sense of humour.

I think it was a great disappointment to her that she had not been promoted to play M. She would have been a wonderful M.

Lois was wonderful, absolutely perfect casting. It was a great pity that after I moved out of Bond, that they didn't take her on to continue in the Timothy Dalton films.

She had a tremendous sense of humour. She used to sing dirty songs, from the Canadian women's army in which she'd served.

I'm afraid she got sort-of typecast as Miss Moneypenny, that's what producers do, unfortunately

Sir Roger Moore
We'd done a number of episodes of The Saint and The Persuaders together, so over the past 60 years I'd seen a great deal of her. But unfortunately, not over the last couple of years.

She had a quite a wide range of parts before she went into the Bond franchise. I'm afraid she got sort of typecast as Miss Moneypenny, that's what producers do, unfortunately, they put people in categories, they don't seem to move people out of them.

At the National Movie Awards, I presented an award to [Bond producers] Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson. It's a pity the timing was so bad, we really could have given her a tribute then.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
james stock
Lieutenant

Re: RIP Lois Maxwell

Post by james stock »

James wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7020767.stm

Actress Lois Maxwell, who played Miss Moneypenny in 14 James Bond movies, has died in Australia aged 80. Bond star Sir Roger Moore, who had known her for more than 60 years, spoke to the BBC about his friend and co-star.
I'd known Lois from the beginning of my acting career, we were both drama students at Rada in 1944 and 1945.

We first played opposite each other in Pride and Prejudice. I was Darcy, she was Elizabeth. She was a very fine actress with a great sense of humour.

I think it was a great disappointment to her that she had not been promoted to play M. She would have been a wonderful M.

Lois was wonderful, absolutely perfect casting. It was a great pity that after I moved out of Bond, that they didn't take her on to continue in the Timothy Dalton films.

She had a tremendous sense of humour. She used to sing dirty songs, from the Canadian women's army in which she'd served.

I'm afraid she got sort-of typecast as Miss Moneypenny, that's what producers do, unfortunately

Sir Roger Moore
We'd done a number of episodes of The Saint and The Persuaders together, so over the past 60 years I'd seen a great deal of her. But unfortunately, not over the last couple of years.

She had a quite a wide range of parts before she went into the Bond franchise. I'm afraid she got sort of typecast as Miss Moneypenny, that's what producers do, unfortunately, they put people in categories, they don't seem to move people out of them.

At the National Movie Awards, I presented an award to [Bond producers] Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson. It's a pity the timing was so bad, we really could have given her a tribute then.
Extreamly sad news! RIP Lois Maxwell :cry:
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

The original and best Moneypenny.

Thanks for all those classic moments.
Bring back Bond!
Commander 0077
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Commander 0077 »

Lois Maxwell .... it was nice that she knew that she was appreciated. She knew that she was part of a 'classic' which will never be repeated. In films and offscreen she leaves a legacy of a charming, warm-harted 'gal' in the best sense of the word. She's the essential ingredient of the Bonds, giving them her touch of fun. Her Bonds always were meant to be fun. I can well assume that at her memorial services there will be a lot of funny stories told; that's the way Miss Moneypenny should be remembered :)

"Would you settle for a tulip?"

She settled for far more than a tulip :)
You move very well for a dead man, Mr Bond
Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!
2 007
Terry
Lieutenant

Post by Terry »

That's very sad news to end the week. Lois will always be Moneypenny, even when they recast the part.
Skywalker
Favorite Bond Movie: Live and Let Die
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Quantum of Solace.......Hmmm
Favorite Movies: Batman Begins
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens
Location: On the side of truth and honesty. No room for sheep - just shepherds.

Post by Skywalker »

Terry wrote:That's very sad news to end the week. Lois will always be Moneypenny, even when they recast the part.
Agreed.
“I'd like to thank the Royal Marines for bringing me in like that and scaring the s--- out of me,” Bond Hardman Daniel Craig.
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger, OHMSS, FRWL, The Living Daylights

Post by 007 »

Sad news. As much as Sean Connery will always be James Bond, Lois will always be the original and best Moneypenny.
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

007 wrote:Sad news. As much as Sean Connery will always be James Bond, Lois will always be the original and best Moneypenny.
Agreed. A sad day for all Bond fans.

RIP - the greatest Moneypenny!!
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Very sad. I loved her Miss Moneypenny.
Hope all is well with her family and that her last days were the best possible filled with family and friends.