For Your Eyes Onl-eh?

A place to discuss the latest in Bond News.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

For Your Eyes Onl-eh?

Post by Kristatos »

With James Bond in the public domain in Canada, Canadian filmmakers hope to remake Bond films: http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2 ... eyes-only/

I know that this has been mentioned in passing elsewhere, but I thought it deserved its own thread. Not sure how they propose to release these films outside Canada, eh?
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Re: For Your Eyes Onl-eh?

Post by Omega »

Not sure they can. But in this Internet age they might be able to make millions online alone.

Kinda pisses me off how obviously our copy rights laws were manipulated for the companies getting rich of the few books series that are still popular today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
............ :007:
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:With James Bond in the public domain in Canada, Canadian filmmakers hope to remake Bond films: http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2 ... eyes-only/

I know that this has been mentioned in passing elsewhere, but I thought it deserved its own thread. Not sure how they propose to release these films outside Canada, eh?
Reading the stories I was struck a few mentioned one other nation when I looked into it quite a few do not hold the USA and UK rules. Looking at the map it is a huge swath of the world were the rights have expired/expiring.

What Does It Mean That James Bond's In the Public Domain In Canada?
Copyright quirk leaves James Bond up for grabs in Canada
James Bond Enters the Public Domain! Is This the Work of SPECTRE?
James Bond Enters the Public Domain! Is This the Work of SPECTRE?
By:Stephen Carlisle
January 15, 2015

Recall that, at a minimum, Berne Treaty signatories are required to establish a base line of copyright protection of the life of the author plus 50 years after death. Now the European Union, along with the United States, has expanded this to life of the author plus 70 years, but not every Berne nation has followed suit. There are many nations who still adhere to the “life plus 50” rule of copyright duration, including Canada, Japan, New Zealand, South Africa and Thailand. Here is a quick visual aid to show where copyright protection is life plus 50 years or less.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

The other part I wonder about is how do movie/book/music rights work. If lets say it is a product legal for Canada can they really be barred from selling in worldwide if they are selling as a Canadian product made for Canada?
A British company would be barred from reprints, new publications, television shows, movies. However if it is a legal product, produced where it is legal, can it be banned?
The natural assumption is it would not be allowed, this was my knee jerk reaction based on my assumption it would have to be illegal here as well. However I have imported all kinds of book, movies and music not for sale here and continue to look for the best edition of the series I enjoy. Most recent example is imported Nero Wolfe DVDs made with proper license for the country they manufactured however has no UK release and were sold right here on Amazon UK.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer