Bond producer sue over "Bond rip-off" movie

A place to discuss the latest in Bond News.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: Bond producer sue over "Bond rip-off" movie

Post by Kristatos »

It's probably just as well I didn't sell my script to the BBC, or they'd have sued me too. It featured Isambard Kingdom Brunel as a sort of steampunk Q.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

At some of my movie forums people who say they read the script think the lawsuit is over the top.
Interestingly there is some fanboy post showing at like at deadline, blindly supporting eon with troll like comments.

But there maybe some overlap with agent double 0 and I forget the other. Nothing a easy name change would fix it.

If eon does win can anybody make any kind of spy movie ever?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Oh the other thing was licence to kill.
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

How many spy movies were produced during the first flush of Bondmania with titles like Agent 0014 or whatever? How come they never got sued?

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Re: Bond producer sue over

Post by John P. Drake »

Kristatos wrote:How many spy movies were produced during the first flush of Bondmania with titles like Agent 0014 or whatever? How come they never got sued?

Yes, Kris! The thousands of Eurospy movies!! But, remember who's in charge of EON, now...
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

I think Eon sued Carry on Spying who wanted to call a character 00 1/2: he was called 00 oooooohhh instead. :D

I wish someone would make an old style fantastical Bond-type spy adventure movie since Eon do not make them.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote: I wish someone would make an old style fantastical Bond-type spy adventure movie since Eon do not make them.
This might fit the bill. It is, after all, directed by the man who once sang "Sometimes I wish Roger Moore would come back, with an underwater car and some kind of jetpack".
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote: I wish someone would make an old style fantastical Bond-type spy adventure movie since Eon do not make them.
This might fit the bill. It is, after all, directed by the man who once sang "Sometimes I wish Roger Moore would come back, with an underwater car and some kind of jetpack".
Took a moment to remember. :D
Kudos for remembering!

http://www.lyricsmania.com/quantum_of_s ... rnish.html

&

"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

Have never seen that video before! Had me busting lungs for a good 10 minutes!!
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Universal responded saying the film is not green lit and will have substantial changes made to the script and the had no intention of violating mgms rights. Supposedly they got a top name on their side.

MGM responded they're spending hundreds of millions on bond 24 for October 2015 and early 2016 home video. MGM us also pushing for expedited discovery.

What the hell does bond 24 have to do with MGM claiming universal is infringing . MGM makes it found like section 6 being made hurts bond 24. How is that possible?

Could they really be trying to steal section 6 script, maybe the name? One rumor was MGM is hurting for cash and the lawsuit is for operating funds. I see where some might think that even with hobbit and bond it's not 100% their profit but I doubt they are. Is as bad as shape as 2011

Anyone hear anything interesting in this?

John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

I don't get it at all. B-24 is supposed to be a follow-up to their so-called Skyfall, while Section 6 is set in 1919 and carries on with the traditional spy vibe rather than the Bourne/Nolan-Knight propaganda the current bond films are following. It's not even green-lit yet, probably won't come out until 2016 or 2017 at the least. I still don't understand what's there to harm their "007" product. As if there aren't daily spy fictions released in media be it in comics or movies or novels. Most annoying.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

News today is they are acusing universal of past infringements as well. Eon/MGM said to be angry at universals "stunt" to get the suit thrown.

Says the guys who ripped off universals Bourne series.

John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

Omega wrote:News today is they are acusing universal of past infringements as well. Eon/MGM said to be angry at universals "stunt" to get the suit thrown.

Says the guys who ripped off universals Bourne series.
There you go.
Problem Eliminator
Lieutenant

Post by Problem Eliminator »

Kristatos wrote:
John P. Drake wrote:
Kristatos wrote:I'm curious, does anyone know where I can find a list of trademarks owned by Danjaq/EON or Ian Fleming Productions (or whatever Glidrose is called these days). I tried googling it, but the only ones I know of for sure are "James Bond" and "007".
According to Deadline, here it is...
http://m.deadline.com/2014/04/universal ... er-danjaq/
I didn't see any list of trademarks in there, but it looks from the lawsuit as if they're claiming ownership of tuxedos, martinis and anything else they regard as a "distinctive trait" of the Bond character. I hope this gets laughed out of court.

I don't know how crazy they are about it. Both The Tuxedo and True Lies got made, and they contain elements pretty obviously lifted from Bond.
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

Despite the actions, the film is being pushed forward, while principal photography on Craig's fourth film begins in December this year.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... -snow.html
Odessy
New Recruit

Post by Odessy »

I have always understood that it was perfectly legal to pull off either a parody of another work or an artistic re-interpretation.

Isn't it getting to the point now where studios are abusing the legal process in pursuit of unjust restraint of trade?

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and in my view as long as Section 6 does not call itself James Bond, then it is nobody else's business.
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

dirtybenny wrote:Not only does EON not want to make Bond films anymore they don't want anyone else to either.

I find this highly ironic seeing as EON's last 3 movies were blatant rip-offs of Bourne and the Dark Knight series.
agreed. :cheers:
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

Well, EON can do nothing now, as long as the Double O section wouldn't possess part of it. Tuxedo-clan spies aren't copyrighted to them, and now, the overtly brilliant Kingsman: The Secret Service is now out, borrowing everything from previous spy flicks and what made them great, they have received more fans with one installment than what the Craig era of the Bond films have had, all combined into one.

And I do have a copy of the script, too, but I've yet to read it.