Bond 24 set for 2014

A place to discuss the latest in Bond News.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Bond 24 set for 2014

Post by Kristatos »

From Den of Geek:
With news that the first trailer for the 23rd James Bond movie, Skyfall, is coming next month, Sony has also taken the opportunity to confirm that the 24th movie won’t be too far away. The gap between Quantum Of Solace and Skyfall was four years, mainly due to the financial instabilities of MGM. With such issues out the way, the plan is to get the franchise back on a two year schedule, it seems.

As such, the studio is saying that the 24th James Bond movie will arrive toward the end of 2014.

This is where it gets interesting, though. Daniel Craig signed up to play the role of James Bond three times, with an option for first refusal of a fourth movie. Skyfall therefore marks the last 007 film he's strictly contracted to do.

Thus, if he doesn’t want to do Bond 24, he doesn’t have to, but he gets first dibs. Sony is unlikely to want to turn around a reboot of Bond in two years, so our guess is that Craig may well sign up for Bond 24. And then? Well, don’t wager against him retiring his tuxedo after that...
Here's the link, but because the story was only 4 paragraphs, I could post the whole thing without violating copyright (4 paragraphs of a news story is the limit under Fair Use laws).
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Re: Bond 24 set for 2014

Post by Omega »

And this could be why Craig will not be in Bond in 2014. Contract fulfilled and a tight shooting scheduled.

Spoiler of the spyfall trailer
[spoil]The trailer begins with a shot of Bond (Daniel Craig) from behind looking at the city of London. Then we hear someone in a voice-over say the word “Country” and Bond saying, “England.” It seems he is playing some sort of word association game. We then hear the mystery voice say “Gun” and Bond replies “Shot” as we view a target at the end of a shooting range. We then see that 007 is in an interrogation room where he is being asked the questions and being watched by Ralph Fiennes and some other people through two-way mirrors. The man sitting in front of Bond says “Agent,” and the superspy replies “Provocateur.” As more images flash on the screen the word association game continues: “Murder” “Employment.” The music then drops out as we flash back to the interrogation room and the man running the test says. “Skyfall.” After a pause, Bond says, “Done,” and stands up from the table. Another huge montage begins and we see shots of helicopters, giant fireballs causing a mysterious silhouette, shots of the Shanghai nightlife, Bond standing over a long row of coffins draped with the flag of England, and a subway car crashing through a tunnel wall with incredible force. As the trailer comes to an end we hear Bond say, “Someone is coming to kill us. We’re going to kill them first.”[/spoil]
............ :007:
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

One other thing is studios are acting like rebooting is easiest thing since walking. The spider-man reboot got going real quick if it works out for Sony they might want to do it with Bond.

January 2010 fourth sequel is scrapped, reboot born, July 2010 script, December 2010 filming, May 2011 post production, in theaters July 3rd 2012. Spider-man is supposed to be $80 million. OR maybe not http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=37473
............ :007:
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I rather watch Spidey reboot than Bond 23 but only on DVD.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Why does everything have to be a drokking reboot? Just cast a different actor as Bond and leave it at that, they way they did for George, Roger, Tim and Pierce. But I doubt Craggy will turn down Bond 24, given that he has bugger all career outside Bond.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

If this shmuck has the choice to do Bond 24 without Sony or MGM's input, what kind of contract did his Eon lover give him? I won't wait until 2016 to dump this franchise. I will dump it as soon as Eon says Cr-egg is back for a 4th Bond film.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

TLD and GE are great reboots while CR is just nothing but for Babs' own personal gain.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:If this shmuck has the choice to do Bond 24 without Sony or MGM's input, what kind of contract did his Eon lover give him? I won't wait until 2016 to dump this franchise. I will dump it as soon as Eon says Cr-egg is back for a 4th Bond film.
What Bond 23 needs to become the final nail in the coffin for DC.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

According to his contract, they would have to buy him out I guess to dump him and Eon is cheaaaaaaaaaaap as they come so it will be up to Sony and MGM to cut him loose once and for all.........Eon won't, mark my words, unless Sony and MGM play hardball.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

“Someone is coming to kill us. We’re going to kill them first.”
What a corny one liner! Just terrible.
I can't imagine Connery or the others saying a line like this, it sounds like a bad guy rant in their layer when the army comes to help Bond sort them out.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

bjmdds wrote:According to his contract, they would have to buy him out I guess to dump him and Eon is cheaaaaaaaaaaap as they come so it will be up to Sony and MGM to cut him loose once and for all.........Eon won't, mark my words, unless Sony and MGM play hardball.
According to whos contact?
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
katied

Post by katied »

Bond 24 in 2012..Though after Spyfail ,will people still care?
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Dr. No wrote:
bjmdds wrote:According to his contract, they would have to buy him out I guess to dump him and Eon is cheaaaaaaaaaaap as they come so it will be up to Sony and MGM to cut him loose once and for all.........Eon won't, mark my words, unless Sony and MGM play hardball.
Danielle's. It says that HE decides if he wants to do Bond 24, not the studios.
katied

Post by katied »

Well, if Spyfail is a bomb, let's hope he has the sense to try and get out of it.
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

bjmdds wrote:
Dr. No wrote:
Danielle's. It says that HE decides if he wants to do Bond 24, not the studios.
Yes and no. He can decide not to come back for a fourth but MGM has a way out after his third movie. Skyfall would have to be a low budget smash for them to want to pay Craig for a fourth.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Can he be cheaply bought out?
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Kristatos wrote:Why does everything have to be a drokking reboot? Just cast a different actor as Bond and leave it at that, they way they did for George, Roger, Tim and Pierce. But I doubt Craggy will turn down Bond 24, given that he has bugger all career outside Bond.
That's what i thought. When Daniel Craig leaves just make another Bond film with a new actor!
Bring back Bond!
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Sony: Bond 24 in 2014.

EON: Errr. No.

Sony said this a few weeks ago, both Sony and MGM said this back when they brought Bond back for number 23. Daniel and Barbara say nothing has been announced, and yet it was.

Last week Rory, the president of distribution of Sony, announced Bond 24 for I guess late 2014…

Broccoli: He was getting a little overexcited (laughs). We’re just actually focusing on this movie. One hopes that in the future we’ll be announcing other films, but no one’s officially announced it.

Craig: No one’s announced anything. He got a little ahead of himself (laughs). It’s very nice that he has the confidence to be able to do that, but we haven’t finished this movie yet.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

Blowfeld wrote:Sony: Bond 24 in 2014.

EON: Errr. No.

Sony said this a few weeks ago, both Sony and MGM said this back when they brought Bond back for number 23. Daniel and Barbara say nothing has been announced, and yet it was.

Last week Rory, the president of distribution of Sony, announced Bond 24 for I guess late 2014…

Broccoli: He was getting a little overexcited (laughs). We’re just actually focusing on this movie. One hopes that in the future we’ll be announcing other films, but no one’s officially announced it.

Craig: No one’s announced anything. He got a little ahead of himself (laughs). It’s very nice that he has the confidence to be able to do that, but we haven’t finished this movie yet.
Some questions:

Does MGM own 50% of the franchise or 51%? Does Eon own 50% or just 49%

There is a statement repeated on some fan message boards that claim, as part of the Saltzman deal in 1975, that United Artists (later acquired by MGM) picked up 51%, not 50%, because Albert R. Broccoli had to toss in a critical 1% to make the deal happen.

Any truth to this? Under this scenario, bad MGM can force poor, innocent Eon into making Bond 24 in 2014. I'm dubious, but if anybody has solid information about this, please elaborate.
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Danno and Babs (MGW too) are fronting a new fight one that will (probably) happen as soon as Skyfall hits the screens. The way they put down the company funding their extravagances is telling. Rory Bruer put EON on notice, Babs feebly hit back. They'd like to create the image there is no Bond without them, thus poor Fleming and Saltzman (and McClory) are not worth a mention fifty years after the fact. Both had a lot more to do with Bond coming to the big screen than Cubby did.

If Skyfall does poorly MGM/Sony will be empowered. If it beaks even -has a big budget- they will be empowered. For a new Bond to hit screens in 2014 EON is not required, nor Danny Boy, Babs or Mikey, an OK from is Danjaq LLC would suffice. Splash Ian Fleming's 007 on it nobody will know the difference. Sony could pull a rabbit out of their hat, difference with past rights fights is EON/the Brocs had the might of a studio behind them, without it they would have to fund their own legal battles, these people would be loath to spend what it would cost them in court.

MGM/Sony needs Bond to be profitable and constant, the days of relying upon an increasing unreliable a partner may be coming to a close.

The Brocs make a lot of money producing these movies -a minimum of 30m in fees- the studio's rights were ignored and trampled on by Babs in particular. The studio contractually has final say over casting, script, hiring directors, does it sound like there is a partnership during Skyfall. There was a small tussle in 2004, and 2005, Sony finally caved on Craig because they had to. They went with them on Skyfall because they had to, 2013, 2014 it will be EONs turn to have to do something.

Not sure about the 51% it sounds like a deal from those days and could be why some of the clauses exist. In print it is always 50/50 maybe I can find out more. If it is 51% then Bond by 2014 and/or a big fight where the Wonder Twins (Babs and Mikey) lose. There is enough in printed over the last two years to put their stewardship in serious doubt.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming