I don't like James Bond: Oscar nominee Gary Oldman

A place to discuss the latest in Bond News.
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/i-dont-like- ... 8-67.html/
Los Angeles: Oscar-nominated actor Gary Oldman finds his spy character from the movie 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy' more interesting than James Bond.

The 53-year-old star, who plays veteran spy George Smiley in the film, admits he has always been puzzled by author Ian Fleming's flamboyant hero, reported Showbizspy.

"He (Smiley) is the polar opposite of Bond. He is the man in the mac who you would pass in the street and not look at twice, whereas Bond, it's always struck me, announces who he is everywhere he goes to the villain, to the guy that wantsto kill him," said Oldman.

"He wears a white tuxedo and you go, 'Where's Bond ?' He's just pulled up in the Aston Martin. I've always found that strange. (It's like), 'I'm Bond, kill me," he added.
Powder Puff
Lieutenant

Re: I don't like James Bond: Oscar nominee Gary Oldman

Post by Powder Puff »

It's called fantasy Gary my old darling.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Re: I don't like James Bond: Oscar nominee Gary Oldman

Post by Dr. No »

Bond used to be a fantasy world of action, adventure, beautiful locations adn beautiful women. Conney could share the joke with the audience by glancing at the screen and It worked on so well on so many levels. I get why serious spy fans and actors take a swing at Bond Tom Clancy liked to say Ian Fleming was a failed spy, I don't know what he based the failed part of his statement on since I've never seen anything to back that up. Every Bio I've seen Fleming did was a involved competent member of the btirish war time effort. He had a big imagination and went a bit over board sometimes like imaging he was trying to bankrupt the SS at the gaming tables, but Fleming included so much in Bond that was based on actual exploits and thinking of the intelligence community a that time. People get too caught up in the cold war, Bond was really a WWII spy patriotic and passionate, the cold war history is bleak dreadful story, insane puppet master thinking they see the whole game, agents steal poo and hair samples for some crazy idea they at Langley could diagnose a soviate leaders mental condition / possible actions based on what his health may or not be.

But this was also teh tie all these gradets people like to criticize mow were being developed and used, stuff so crazy Bond gadgets seem tame. You knwo I like the wold of spying Fleming created, it is simple and honest, Bond come forward and M man of impeccable character gives him a mission of some sort of importance, you can trust M, you cna trust the Brrts and Americans to be trying to do what is right in a world of danger, you can trust Bond, Monneypenny, Tanner, heads of S H J branches, the fellow agents Bond meets it not a murky wold of distrust and that is what made it great.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.