Burt Reynolds on Bond & Craig

A place to discuss the latest in Bond News.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Burt Reynolds on Bond & Craig

Post by Blowfeld »

The Bandit has weighed in. :lol: :wink:
GQ:Also, you were offered the role of James Bond? Who, according to Archer, was inspired by him?

Burt Reynolds: Yes. It was in my infinite wisdom that I said an American couldn't play that. It was then that they got George Lazenby, and I was proven right.

I should've done it. I wish I had, but my life would be so different now. My fear about doing it was that the public wouldn't accept me. But I think they would have, because while it's pretty hard to dress me up that good, Connery was as far from Bond as anyone, he was right out of the coal mines, and he was maybe the best Bond. And Roger Moore, whom I know very well and adore, he is that kind of guy. He knows how to order wine better than anyone at the table, and he is so effete, and yet very, very likeable. But at the time, I was doing Dan August, who was a completely American cop. So Cubby Broccoli came to see me and asked me to do it, and this was when they were having an argument with Connery over money, and they got Lazenby, and that was a disaster, and then they got Connery back, then a lot of other guys.

GQ: Yeah, who knows what the public reaction might've been—given that when Daniel Craig was picked, some people were outraged that he was a blond. Though, he is a much more rough-hewn kind of Bond.

Burt Reynolds: Very much so. I always get the feeling that Craig is saying, "Don't judge me by this." He doesn't seem to be the happiest Bond in the world. Whereas Sean had some trepidation about it, he still gave it that twinkle in his eye when he was doing it, and I think that's the secret to successful Bonds. Even Roger, as unphysical as he was, he was absolutely wonderful at the other part of Bond. Craig is a d**n good actor, I just think if you're going to do a part, don't do it with one eye saying, "I really don't want to do this, but I'll do it." [laughs]

— Dennis Tang
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer