Skyfall: is this the worst Bond film title ever?

A place to discuss the latest in Bond News.

Yes
88%
No
No votes
Uncertain
12%

Total votes: 17

Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

So quick to give up on QoS? Well at least Ian thought up the title, what little solace that offers.
By Isabel Mohan, 3am.co.uk editor 3/11/2011
So, some boys told me today that the new Bond film is called Skyfall.
Advertisement >>

Now, I haven’t watched a Bond film since I was forced to for Media Studies A-level back in 1999 (all the teachers were blokes) but even I know that’s one lame-ass name.

When movie execs regard the title of a film important enough to call a blinking press conference (well, I suppose it’s good if the mini-sandwich and lukewarm coffee industry is being kept afloat in these tricky financial times), presumably the film nerds who bothered to turn up were hoping for something a little more, well, Bondy?

I associate Bond films with things that are golden, pointy, fast, deathly, sexy and secretive. Oh, apart from the last one (Quantum Of Solace) which was clearly aimed at fooling 12 year olds into thinking there was a new Harry Potter installment out.

I associate Skyfall with… well, nothing, really. Maybe Chicken Licken, who wasn’t known for his Martini habit and harem of exotic babes?

A film called Skyfall should be a sickly sweet romcom, where a hunky fighter pilot played by Matthew McConaughey gets killed in action in Iraq (pronounced “Eye-Raaaack” in Matthew’s over-egged Texan drawl) but then descends from heaven in nothing but his pants and sweeps kooky, unlucky in love primary school teacher Drew Barrymore off her feet. The twist: the only good twist there is – she doesn’t know he’s dead.

I’d actually go and see that, as well.

Read more:http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/201 ... -23535224/
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
katied

Re: Skyfall: is this the worst Bond film title ever?

Post by katied »

Defi-freaking-nitely! :mrgreen:
Sir Smyth
New Recruit

Post by Sir Smyth »

No. QoS sucked just a little more than "Skyfall".

Sad that video game designers come up with better titles.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

QoS was bad SF is not much better although they seem to think they can justify it the same way they justified Quantum. Skyfall does sound like a romcom.
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Quantum of Solace may have been a bad title, but at least it was Ian Fleming's bad title (and actually made sense in the context of the short story it belonged to). Skyfall is just...nothing, which is why I was so convinced that it was just a working title. Maybe it was, and they just couldn't be arsed to come up with a proper one.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

YES!!!!!!!
oscartheman
Agent

Post by oscartheman »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:YES!!!!!!!
It has to be because it is nothing to do with nothing.Die Another Day atleast played to the Fleming style of naming, Live and Let Die,From Russia with Love, a common saying with a twist.Skyfall could be a skydiver movie.Dumb name period.
mcbride007
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights
Goldfinger
For Your Eyes Only

Post by mcbride007 »

It will be interesting to see how the title is related to the film.
shaken not stirred
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, the spy who loved Me, the world is not enough, goldfinger, live and let die.
Favorite Movies: Iron man,Iron man 2, avengers, goldeneye, dark city, back to the future, live and let die.

Post by shaken not stirred »

Sir Smyth wrote:No. QoS sucked just a little more than "Skyfall".

Sad that video game designers come up with better titles.
Speaking of videogames if anyone's ever played uncharted that game feels more like old bond then eons new tripe will ever be, right down to the spying, using stealth, barely hanging on to things, fighting cool villains who want power etc as well as mainly feeling part like indiana jones, it's a great series :).

As for piefall meh.
Bond....James bond....Rest in peace (1964-2002)
katied

Post by katied »

mcbride007 wrote:It will be interesting to see how the title is related to the film.

Or if it is at all-I'm sure they'll try(and fail) to work it into the theme song.
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

Added a poll.
commander0077again
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS YOLT GOLDFINGER LALD FYEO GOLDENEYE
Favorite Movies: OUR MAN FLINT THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD/ERROL FLYNN CASABLANCA ZORRO FILMS / TV SHOW

Post by commander0077again »

Pieface would be an improvement :007:
You move very well for a dead man, Mister Bond

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

I'm unsure. Quantum of Solace was quite bad, too. Though Kristatos is right, that was Ian Fleming's bad title. Skyfall is just horrid. It sounds like the name of a new Virgin soda.
"Are we on coms?"
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Alessandra wrote:I'm unsure. Quantum of Solace was quite bad, too. Though Kristatos is right, that was Ian Fleming's bad title. Skyfall is just horrid. It sounds like the name of a new Virgin soda.
I think Die Another Day is the worst title, though. I actually groaned when I first heard it, whereas Skyfall is just bland.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
katied

Post by katied »

Die Another Day was easy to make fun of-Diarrhea Another Day, Dud Another Day, etc. :mrgreen:
shaken not stirred
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, the spy who loved Me, the world is not enough, goldfinger, live and let die.
Favorite Movies: Iron man,Iron man 2, avengers, goldeneye, dark city, back to the future, live and let die.

Post by shaken not stirred »

Skyfall sounds like a fitting name for a terminator film, instead of judgement day, terminator 2 skyfall (since it's about a corporation called skynet).
Bond....James bond....Rest in peace (1964-2002)
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

shaken not stirred wrote:Skyfall sounds like a fitting name for a terminator film, instead of judgement day, terminator 2 skyfall (since it's about a corporation called skynet).
I agree completely, it was one of my first thoughts when I heard the name.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
commander0077again
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS YOLT GOLDFINGER LALD FYEO GOLDENEYE
Favorite Movies: OUR MAN FLINT THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD/ERROL FLYNN CASABLANCA ZORRO FILMS / TV SHOW

Post by commander0077again »

I think DAD is an OK title, it doesn't exactly have the Fleming touch, but it approaches. It makes some sense, something that Bond would think; of course, it's also a spin of the phrase 'live to fight another day' which is a Fleming turn. Tomorrow Never Dies, on the other foot, makes no sense. Craig Never Retires would be the ultimate nightmare.
You move very well for a dead man, Mister Bond

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

commander0077again wrote:Craig Never Retires would be the ultimate nightmare.
If this is the case, then you can forget about traditional types and go for Carrot Top or some big buff boxers, regardless of ethnicity.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Okay, sure, the cast will be formally announced, too, but it seems that’s no secret.

I’m not sure that Skyfall sounds like a Bond movie: it sounds more like a disaster flick about a deorbiting satellite. (Or perhaps it’ll be about an al Qaeda plot to deorbit the ISS and crash it into the Olympics, or something. That could be a Bond.) Then again, Quantum of Solace doesn’t sound like a Bond flick either.

On the other hand: From Russia with Love. License to Kill. They sound like globetrotting action adventure spy movies.

So: What would be a great title for a James Bond movie? Supply the plot, too, if you like. Or just tease us with a title that makes us salivate just imagining what it could be about...
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer