Psychologists come up with image of James Bond

A place to discuss the latest in Bond News.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Psychologists come up with image of James Bond

Post by carl stromberg »

Some scientists have come with an image of James Bond.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... bond06.xml

Here is the pic:

Psychologists reveal the secret face of Fleming's perfect James Bond
By Roger Highfield, Science Editor
Last Updated: 1:52am GMT 07/03/2007

Eat your heart out Daniel Craig. The perfect James Bond looks more like Sean Connery, according to a computer reconstruction published by psychologists today.

To discover exactly how the author, Ian Fleming, envisaged his hero, Prof Rob Jenkins, of the University of Glasgow, and Prof Richard Wiseman, of the University of Hertfordshire, have employed a technique known as prototyping.

A computer reconstruction of the perfect James Bond

Most people are poor at describing a face that they have in their mind, but they can easily pick out photographs of faces that resemble the image they are thinking of.

Previous research has shown that blending together several pictures of a face creates an accurate image of that person.

Now the same technique has been used for the first time to create a photograph of a fictional character.

In 1961 Fleming listed several Hollywood actors that he thought had the right facial characteristics to play Bond.

Prof Jenkins tracked down images of these actors - Cary Grant, David Niven, James Mason, Patrick McGoohan, Rex Harrison, Richard Burton and Stewart Granger - and used sophisticated software to blend them into a single composite.

"We have used face merging technology to create the image of Bond that Ian Fleming had in mind when he wrote his books," said Prof Wiseman

"The image shows a clean-cut, classic looking face which is far more Connery than Craig.'' He added: ''Perhaps this is another way of resolving the question of who is the best Bond."

Prof Jenkins said: "The image allows us to turn back the hands of time, go inside Fleming's head and see how he envisioned Bond when he was writing his novels."

a
The same technique has applications for increasing the accuracy of witness testimony in crime investigations.

It could even be used by online dating websites to help people identify the types of face that they find most attractive.

The researchers will discuss their findings with interested members of the public during a free evening event - The Scientist who Loved Me - at the Dana Centre, the Science Museum's adults-only bar and café, tomorrow evening.
BondFan007
Lieutenant

Post by BondFan007 »

That looks like Sean Connery?
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

I'm clearly seeing this guy in that image.
Clicky
:wink:
Or could it be Julian McMahon. :?
Moore
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: TSWLM
TWINE
FRWL
DAD

Post by Moore »

Well, this image is (to me of course) something between Connery and Moore.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Interesting. However (with do respect to Craig’s friends here) it definitely is not Craig.
It does have some Connery to it, and I would agree a bit of Moore as well.
It might be better if they finished the image so it look less like Max Headroom :)
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Commander 0077
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Commander 0077 »

A fun topic. Hope to see the continuing research. I'm happy that Fleming's composite does resemble what 'some' fans assume is Bond's face. So another nail in the coffin of 'just about anyone can play James Bond' instead of 'Zero Zero has to be rather good looking with a somewhat cruel mouth'. I think that is part of the joke that Fleming understood. A real spy blends with the crowd -- the faceless man. People will remember a handsome man (like Commander 0077 :lol:)
or a beautiful woman.

That said, I don't want to be mean to the Other Camp. Tehy're welcome to their opinion and it makes life more interesting.
You move very well for a dead man, Mr Bond
Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!
2 007
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Captain Nash wrote:I'm clearly seeing this guy in that image.
Clicky
Seeing Craig's face in that picture is like seeing the face of Jesus in a tortilla. Verily, Captain, thou art devout in thy faith.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig