Tis as I feared

A place to discuss the latest in Bond News.
Skywalker
Favorite Bond Movie: Live and Let Die
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Quantum of Solace.......Hmmm
Favorite Movies: Batman Begins
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens
Location: On the side of truth and honesty. No room for sheep - just shepherds.

Post by Skywalker »

Kristatos wrote:
Terry wrote:
...or that Die Another Day 2 was the only alternative to Craig.
That was one aspect to CR I didn't understand. The idea that it was either Craig or another silly film. There are actually other good actors out there and some of them have the advantage of looking like Bond.
Yup, as I've said before (apologies to the old lags for the repetition, but we've had some new recruits recently), Purvis and Wade's first draft of CR's script sounds like it would have made a better movie than the finished product. Not only was there no reboot to tick off those of us who didn't think the series needed to go back to the drawing board, but it actually had a serious theme - Bond discovering, through his love for Vesper, the value of the society he is protecting. The redrafted, Haggisised movie didn't really have any such weighty themes. It was middlebrow self-importance masquerading as depth.

Had the first draft script been filmed with Bale or Purefoy or (more likely)Worthington as Bond, I would probably have been cheerleading for the film as enthusiastically as Sweeney or Stocks or Katied.
Have you got a link to the first draft script?
“I'd like to thank the Royal Marines for bringing me in like that and scaring the s--- out of me,” Bond Hardman Daniel Craig.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Skywalker wrote:Have you got a link to the first draft script?
Sadly no, I was going by their comments in this interview (see just below the pic of Neal Purvis for the relevant comment).
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Skywalker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens

Post by Skywalker »

Kristatos wrote:
Skywalker wrote:Have you got a link to the first draft script?
Sadly no, I was going by their comments in this interview (see just below the pic of Neal Purvis for the relevant comment).
Thanks for the link. In their own words they describe CR as not requiring a reboot theme and only chose that path by wanting to include Bond's first two kills.

Their reasoning for including Dame Judi is lame.
“I'd like to thank the Royal Marines for bringing me in like that and scaring the s--- out of me,” Bond Hardman Daniel Craig.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Skywalker wrote:Thanks for the link. In their own words they describe CR as not requiring a reboot theme and only chose that path by wanting to include Bond's first two kills.
Who says they chose it? Note the passive-voice "it was decided...."
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger, OHMSS, FRWL, The Living Daylights

Post by 007 »

Terry wrote:
...or that Die Another Day 2 was the only alternative to Craig.
That was one aspect to CR I didn't understand. The idea that it was either Craig or another silly film. There are actually other good actors out there and some of them have the advantage of looking like Bond.

I agree but I think it probably was a case of Craig or no film for Barbara. If Craig had been blocked I think Eon might have gone into mothballs with the biggest sulk of all time.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

007 wrote:I agree but I think it probably was a case of Craig or no film for Barbara. If Craig had been blocked I think Eon might have gone into mothballs with the biggest sulk of all time.
I think Sony might have had something to say about that. Babs insists that Craig was the only choice to play Bond, but supposing he had refused to do it? I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have had a plan B - they'd have just gone ahead with Worthington or Cavill in the role.
Skywalker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens

Post by Skywalker »

Kristatos wrote:
Skywalker wrote:Thanks for the link. In their own words they describe CR as not requiring a reboot theme and only chose that path by wanting to include Bond's first two kills.
Makes you wonder if they preferred the original draft then?

I find it hard to understand why Babs felt Craig was the only choice to play Bond. I'd love to know her reasoning.
james stock
Lieutenant

Post by james stock »

Skywalker wrote:
Kristatos wrote:

I find it hard to understand why Babs felt Craig was the only choice to play Bond. I'd love to know her reasoning.
The film does have that rushed feeling to it like it started as one thing then almost as a side thought ended up as another when they realised Craig was not up to the task. Lame Haggis dialogue though and people have a nerve to take a swip at some of the cheesier double entonders from the classic Bonds :?
English Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, CR, TB, LALD

Post by English Agent »

james stock wrote:
Skywalker wrote:
Kristatos wrote:

The film does have that rushed feeling to it like it started as one thing then almost as a side thought ended up as another when they realised Craig was not up to the task. Lame Haggis dialogue though and people have a nerve to take a swip at some of the cheesier double entonders from the classic Bonds :?
If they thought Craig was not upto the task, then why is he making the next film.
Skywalker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens

Post by Skywalker »

Arthur Brain wrote:
james stock wrote:
Skywalker wrote:
Kristatos wrote:

If they thought Craig was not upto the task, then why is he making the next film.
Babs certainly thinks Craig is up to the task of playing Bond, so are the many other millions of fans who went to see their first ever Bond film (Craig in Trunks).

I wonder how many of those people that viewed CR have seen any of the other Bond films.
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

james stock wrote:The film does have that rushed feeling to it like it started as one thing then almost as a side thought ended up as another when they realised Craig was not up to the task.
You may not like him as Bond, but your theory on Babs and co. realising Craig was not up to the task is very misguided, IMO. I reckon many of EON think he is the best Bond since Connery.