Sam Worthington: Why I'll never play 007

A place to discuss the latest in Bond News.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Sam Worthington: Why I'll never play 007

Post by Blowfeld »

James Wigney
The Sunday Telegraph
November 06, 2011 12:00AM

WHEN Pierce Brosnan stepped down as James Bond in 2005, Sam Worthington made the final list of three to replace him as 007.

At the time, he was relatively unknown internationally.

But now, having become one of the world's most in-demand actors thanks to his role in Avatar, Worthington wouldn't have a bar of Bond - just as he wasn't interested when he was approached to replace Matt Damon in the Bourne spy franchise.

"I'm going to lay down a hundred bucks," he says with a laugh when reminded he is still 3-1 favourite with online bookies to replace Daniel Craig should he decide to hang up the tux and holster the Walther PPK.

"In fact, I'm going to phone up the Broccolis (Bond's producers) just to win the money. It's like with the Jason Bourne series recently.

"We talked about it and part of me goes, 'That's a franchise that has been created and helped along by other people'.

"What intrigues me more is the chance to start my own franchise and put my own stamp on a character that is iconic rather than just jumping on something that is already established. I like the risk of getting my own one going."

In his latest film, The Debt, Worthington finally has the chance to play a secret agent - but it's about as far from Bourne or Bond as you can get.

In the thriller he plays one of a trio of Israeli Mossad agents on the hunt for a Nazi war criminal, known as the "Surgeon of Birkenau", in 1960s East Berlin.

"They were young, idealistic people and not necessarily trained killers," Worthington says.

"That's the difference between Jason Bourne and James Bond and other fictionalised spies. They are almost world weary, whereas we had an innocence we wanted to portray."

Worthington was making Terminator Salvation in Albuquerque when he was approached by The Debt's director John Madden to play the part of crucial part of the repressed, on-edge David.

"The greatest thing about doing movies over here (in Hollywood) is that you work with a different calibre of people and you learn so much and bring that back to your own industry and help support it.

"To come back and be able to push each other in that way, that's the exciting thing, to be able to give back to the industry that helped you start your own career," Worthington says.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Re: Sam Worthington: Why I'll never play 007

Post by Alessandra »

Worthington didn't make the final 3, but that's another matter (note how he used to say he was the final contender, now it's final 3 since Henry Cavill has revealed what ACTUALLY happened and HE was the last man standing vs Craig). I'm just relieved. I can well do without him as Bond. He doesn't have the class to pull it off. And we've had enough classless behaviour with Craig already.
"Are we on coms?"
buffybond
Lieutenant

Post by buffybond »

He looks as bad in a suit as old man Dan, they both seem to look short and stubby when wearing suits.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

buffybond wrote:He looks as bad in a suit as old man Dan, they both seem to look short and stubby when wearing suits.
I do not know why that happens but it's true. I don't think Worthington is that short.. Craig is definitely not tall so the suit just underlines, his.. quality :D
"Are we on coms?"
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Worthington sucks.......case closed......... :down:
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I was a big Sam for Bond supporter but not any more. He would be better than Craig but only just, he is as classless as Craig and just as arrogant because he struggled and knows he has it made.

I do think his Terminator movie was pretty good the first twist on it in years, I do not think John Conner was necessary and I do think Sam Worthington would be more this generation Bond than Craig who is nothing to do with this generation if he were his movies might actually make money..
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:I was a big Sam for Bond supporter but not any more. He would be better than Craig but only just, he is as classless as Craig and just as arrogant because he struggled and knows he has it made.
Yeah, I've kind of soured on him too. He looks the part (I think he looks like a younger Pierce in some shots), but I'm not sure he has the screen presence. Still better than Craig, though.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Gary Seven
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Gary Seven »

Sam Worthington said:

"What intrigues me more is the chance to start my own franchise and put my own stamp on a character that is iconic rather than just jumping on something that is already established. I like the risk of getting my own one going."

But surely Daniel Craig did that with Bond by completely changing the formula (putting his own "stamp" on the character) so it would be possible for Worthington to change Bond.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Yeah but people still ask Craig why he isn't like the old bonds and why his movies are not like the other movies so he still has that baggage but I agree he just about made it unrecognizable
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.