Britain's MI5 seeking real 'Q'

A place to discuss the latest in Bond News.
John Drake
Commander
Location: Watching the first twenty James Bond films somewhere...

Post by John Drake »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... 3bXejel8Fg

LONDON (AFP) — James Bond always went to Q to keep one step ahead of the enemy with the latest smart gadgets, and now the real-life British spies of MI5 are to get their own technology mastermind.

Britain's domestic intelligence agency, commonly called MI5, is seeking a chief scientific adviser "to lead and co-ordinate the scientific work of the Security Service so that the service continues to be supported by excellent science and technology advice", its website said.

Applicants must have "world-class scientific expertise and credibility in relevant scientific and technology disciplines", their advertisement read.

"I think it's unlikely that the person will be required to develop a weapons system for the latest Aston Martin," Professor John Beddington, the British government's chief scientific adviser, told the BBC.

However, the successful candidate will help protect Britain against threats to national security by keeping on top of the latest moves in science and technology.

"It will involve a sort of future-gazing to see where technology will be taking us in a year or so," Beddington said.

"There is a really important role in providing scientific and technological advice on addressing problems agents in the field will face."

MI5's chief science adviser would help "to frustrate terrorism, to prevent espionage hurting the UK, protect our critical national infrastructure and to frustrate the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.

"There's an enormous amount of scientific content in this role."

Q's hi-tech knowhow saw fictional overseas spy Bond out of several scrapes thanks to his wealth of newfangled gadgets.

They included a wrist-mounted dart gun, a leg plaster cast that fires missiles and numerous wacky modifications to Agent 007's Aston Martin cars.
"He is very good-looking" Vesper Lynd
Roger Devereau
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger

Re: Britain's MI5 seeking real 'Q'

Post by Roger Devereau »

Do you have a link to an application form, John? :D
'She looked sharply up at him. 'And who might you be?'

'My name's Bond, James Bond'.
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

The British Government puts this ad out every few months it seems. Ironic that they are looking for new Q when hasn't been interested in one since 2005. Strange that the gritty and real MI5 have a use for a Q and the fictitious counterpart say, NO it is too fantastic and unbelievable: A Sony cell phone now that's gadget :razz:
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger, OHMSS, FRWL, The Living Daylights

Post by 007 »

It seems real life is now more fantastical and fun than James Bond.
"I’m looking for Commander Bond and not an overgrown stunt-man." - Ian Fleming
mcbride007
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights
Goldfinger
For Your Eyes Only

Post by mcbride007 »

I can't believe that MI5/MI6 do not have technology experts!!!!
katied

Post by katied »

mcbride007 wrote:I can't believe that MI5/MI6 do not have technology experts!!!!

I know,right! Seriously, I don't think they have need for a real Q..it was just a slow news day and they were bored? :lol:
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

No. The Spy agencies have thier own tech divisions that would make Q green with envy. They need fresh blood from time to time and use the Q image to get attention.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming